dell 2400 - lost video

i wanted to add an ati radeon 9200se card and didn't realize that i needed
to update the drivers before putting in the card.

so i installed the card and (obviously) nothing worked.

realizing my error, i pulled the card and replugged the monitor into the
integrated port...

the machine booted...i could see the Windows XP Logo...

but it then sits at a black screen with a visible cursor.

i'm befuddled...any ideas how i can make the machine operable so that i can
then install the 9200se properly? i've can go the BIOS, but i didn't see
anything out of order. i also tried safe mode, but that didn't get me a
usable screen either...thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about dell 2400 lost video

    You can't update the driver before you install the card: the driver won't
    install if the card isn't in your system. First install the card, then
    update the driver.

    If you installed the card and "nothing worked" it's because you didn't
    install the card properly.

    Use the 'last known good' startup to get yourself going again. Then, follow
    ATI's (and Dell's) installation instructions exactly. Remember to firmly
    seat the card in the slot and don't bend those copper contacts!

    I can't tell you how many times I almost killed my computer by installing
    things incorrectly. To this day, Dell technicians laugh when my name is
    mentioned. But eventually I mastered it, and so will you.

    "How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
    feature in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852

    Ted Zieglar

    "David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >i wanted to add an ati radeon 9200se card and didn't realize that i needed
    >to update the drivers before putting in the card.
    >
    > so i installed the card and (obviously) nothing worked.
    >
    > realizing my error, i pulled the card and replugged the monitor into the
    > integrated port...
    >
    > the machine booted...i could see the Windows XP Logo...
    >
    > but it then sits at a black screen with a visible cursor.
    >
    > i'm befuddled...any ideas how i can make the machine operable so that i
    > can then install the 9200se properly? i've can go the BIOS, but i didn't
    > see anything out of order. i also tried safe mode, but that didn't get me
    > a usable screen either...thanks

    Try the following steps which are a repost from the Dell Forum......

    Insert the new video card in a PCI slot
    * Connect the monitor to the added video card
    * Restart the computer
    * At the first beep (older systems) or on the blue Dell screen (new
    systems), tap the F8 key (do not hold it down)
    * At some point, the Advanced Options menu will appear
    * Scroll to and select Safe Mode [press the Enter key]
    * At the operating system listing [press the Enter key]
    * Windows will start in Safe Mode. Close any boxes that may open, just get
    to the desktop
    * Press the Windows + Pause/Break keys
    * Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
    * Open Display Adapters
    * Right click the Intel listing
    * Click Disable
    * Click Apply or Ok. Just close all the boxes
    * Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer-
    Restart
    * The added video card will be found and it will ask for drivers

    Now I believe that you also have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >i wanted to add an ati radeon 9200se card and didn't realize that i needed
    >to update the drivers before putting in the card.
    >
    > so i installed the card and (obviously) nothing worked.
    >
    > realizing my error, i pulled the card and replugged the monitor into the
    > integrated port...
    >
    > the machine booted...i could see the Windows XP Logo...
    >
    > but it then sits at a black screen with a visible cursor.
    >
    > i'm befuddled...any ideas how i can make the machine operable so that i
    > can then install the 9200se properly? i've can go the BIOS, but i didn't
    > see anything out of order. i also tried safe mode, but that didn't get me
    > a usable screen either...thanks

    thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get to
    the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just goes
    to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i can't do
    anything.

    i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but once
    past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've tried VGA
    mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.

    "hoops" <hoops_1002@aol.com> wrote in message
    > thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get to
    > the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just goes
    > to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i can't
    > do anything.
    >
    > i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but once
    > past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've tried
    > VGA mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.

    Go into BIOS (with the card out of the machine) and default the settings
    (ALT+F), and then clear the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then press
    ALT+E. You should hear the system beep at ALT+E).

    ESC and enter "saving all changes".

    Sounds like the machine is a bit whigged out trying to determine which
    adapter/resolution is actually there....

    Good luck,

    Stew

    > You can't update the driver before you install the card: the driver won't
    > install if the card isn't in your system. First install the card, then
    > update the driver.

    tha ATI driver specifically states to install the drivers BEFORE you put the
    card into the machine. even so...i have gone back to the base config (i've
    removed the ATI card) and can't get to any point where i can do anything.

    > "hoops" <hoops_1002@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get
    >> to the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just
    >> goes to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i
    >> can't do anything.
    >>
    >> i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but
    >> once past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've
    >> tried VGA mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.
    >>

    > Go into BIOS (with the card out of the machine) and default the settings
    > (ALT+F), and then clear the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then
    > press ALT+E. You should hear the system beep at ALT+E).
    >
    > ESC and enter "saving all changes".
    >
    > Sounds like the machine is a bit whigged out trying to determine which
    > adapter/resolution is actually there....
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Stew
    hmmm...when i try that, i do get a beep at both the ALT-F and the ALT-E, and
    when it boots, it does do 'something' ("performing automatic IDE
    configuration"...)

    but then it goes right to windows XP screen...and then a blank screen
    again...

    damn! but thanks for the idea...

    Try "last known good configuration"

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "hoops" <hoops_1002@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> thanks, but the problem is that in Normal or in Safe Mode...i can't get
    >>> to the desktop...the Windows XP welcome screen comes up and then it just
    >>> goes to a dark (blank) screen with only a cursor visible. from there i
    >>> can't do anything.
    >>>
    >>> i can get to the BIOS...i can get to the Advanced Options Screen, but
    >>> once past either...i go nowhere. not sure where to go from here. i've
    >>> tried VGA mode, safe mode, last best config...nothing works.
    >>>

    >> Go into BIOS (with the card out of the machine) and default the settings
    >> (ALT+F), and then clear the NVRAM (caps/scroll/num lock enabled, then
    >> press ALT+E. You should hear the system beep at ALT+E).
    >>
    >> ESC and enter "saving all changes".
    >>
    >> Sounds like the machine is a bit whigged out trying to determine which
    >> adapter/resolution is actually there....
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> Stew
    > hmmm...when i try that, i do get a beep at both the ALT-F and the ALT-E,
    > and when it boots, it does do 'something' ("performing automatic IDE
    > configuration"...)
    >
    > but then it goes right to windows XP screen...and then a blank screen
    > again...
    >
    > damn! but thanks for the idea...

    i did...nothing...

    i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the only
    difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....

    now i'm officially at wit's end.

    >i did...nothing...
    >
    > i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the only
    > difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....
    >
    > now i'm officially at wit's end.

    At this point, I'm guessing file corruption is preventing the machine from
    grabbing the proper resolution and reaching the desktop. I'd also guess
    that a repair or reinstall is likely.

    Any chance you have an extra hard disk around anywhere? I'd sure want to
    back up any files.....

    Dang.

    Stew

    > "David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > >i did...nothing...
    > >
    > > i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the
    only
    > > difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....
    > >
    > > now i'm officially at wit's end.
    > >

    > At this point, I'm guessing file corruption is preventing the machine from
    > grabbing the proper resolution and reaching the desktop. I'd also guess
    > that a repair or reinstall is likely.
    >
    > Any chance you have an extra hard disk around anywhere? I'd sure want to
    > back up any files.....

    yeah...i broke down and called customer service, but that led to nothing.

    i reinstalled windows to a new folder, but that didn't help, so i pulled the
    HD and am currently copying the contents to this machine and when done will
    reformat and reinstall windows fully. just a big pain (as usual). if the
    reinstallation fails, then i guess something's fried and i'll need to swap
    it out. lol...warranty is up in 6 days. thanks again...

    if the problem reoccurs (xp splash page then screen goes blank) with the
    reloaded system try connecting the monitor to the other port before doing
    anything else (don't power down)... it is likely that the system has both
    video cards activate and when windows completely loads the other card (the
    one the monitor is not connected to) is selected as the primary display
    controller (making the one that the monitor is connected to go black since
    the windows desktop is not 'extended' to what windows 'knows' to as the
    secondary controller).

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> >i did...nothing...
    >> >
    >> > i just reinstalled windows (to a new folder - \windows2) and now the
    > only
    >> > difference is that the blank screen is blue, not black....
    >> >
    >> > now i'm officially at wit's end.
    >> >

    >> At this point, I'm guessing file corruption is preventing the machine
    >> from
    >> grabbing the proper resolution and reaching the desktop. I'd also guess
    >> that a repair or reinstall is likely.
    >>
    >> Any chance you have an extra hard disk around anywhere? I'd sure want to
    >> back up any files.....
    >>

    > yeah...i broke down and called customer service, but that led to nothing.
    >
    > i reinstalled windows to a new folder, but that didn't help, so i pulled
    > the
    > HD and am currently copying the contents to this machine and when done
    > will
    > reformat and reinstall windows fully. just a big pain (as usual). if the
    > reinstallation fails, then i guess something's fried and i'll need to swap
    > it out. lol...warranty is up in 6 days. thanks again...

Dell Computers