Memnarch vs Graveyard

Hello everybody

I want to know.........

If a creature is made an artifact by memnarch, the effect would not end at
the end of the turn, but what would happen if that same creature was put
into a graveyard, and then revived? would it still be an artifact? will it
still be an artifact in a graveyard? can I get it back with a white bringer?
I think you know where I am getting at.

Thank you

Oh no! It's WhiteLighter!
> Hello everybody
>
> I want to know.........
>
> If a creature is made an artifact by memnarch, the effect would not end at
> the end of the turn, but what would happen if that same creature was put
> into a graveyard, and then revived? would it still be an artifact? will it
> still be an artifact in a graveyard? can I get it back with a white bringer?
> I think you know where I am getting at.

The answer to all of your questions is no, sorry. Any time a card
changes zones, with two exceptions I'll get to in a moment, it
"forgets" everything that happened to it in its previous zone. (The
zones are hand, library, graveyard, in play, the stack, and removed from
the game. If you're playing with older cards or cards from Unhinged
there may be two more you need to worry about - phased out and ante).

The upshot of this for your question is that effects like Memnarch's end
immediately when your creature goes to the graveyard. If it comes back
into play, it comes into play as a completely new permanent with no
"memory" of anything that happened to it previously.

The two exceptions I mentioned are coming into play from the stack, and
phasing in or out. Since phasing hasn't appeared on a new card since
1997 (with the exception of Old Fogey from Unhinged), I'll just mention
that if, for example, you change the colour of a creature card as it's
being played, that change *will* carry over to the actual creature. But
that's about the only exception to the rule that you're likely to run
into these days.

WhiteLighter <whitelighter_does_not_work_anymore@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I want to know.........
>
> If a creature is made an artifact by memnarch, the effect would not end at
> the end of the turn, but what would happen if that same creature was put
> into a graveyard, and then revived?

Then its not the same creature.

217.1c An object that moves from one zone to another is treated as a new
object. Effects connected with its previous location will no longer
affect it. There are two exceptions to this rule: Effects that edit the
characteristics of an artifact, creature, or enchantment spell on the
stack will continue to apply to the permanent that spell creates, and
abilities that trigger when an object moves from one zone to another
(for example, "When Rancor is put into a graveyard from play") can find
the object in the zone it moved to when the ability triggered.

217.5c Whenever a permanent enters the in-play zone, it's considered a
brand-new permanent and has no relationship to any previous permanent
represented by the same object. This is also true for any objects
entering any zone (see rule 217.1c).

> would it still be an artifact? will it
> still be an artifact in a graveyard? can I get it back with a white bringer?
> I think you know where I am getting at.

No.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

> Oh no! It's WhiteLighter!
>> Hello everybody
>>
>> I want to know.........
>>
>> If a creature is made an artifact by memnarch, the effect would not end at
>> the end of the turn, but what would happen if that same creature was put
>> into a graveyard, and then revived? would it still be an artifact? will it
>> still be an artifact in a graveyard? can I get it back with a white bringer?
>> I think you know where I am getting at.
>
> The answer to all of your questions is no, sorry. Any time a card
> changes zones, with two exceptions I'll get to in a moment, it
> "forgets" everything that happened to it in its previous zone. (The
> zones are hand, library, graveyard, in play, the stack, and removed from
> the game. If you're playing with older cards or cards from Unhinged
> there may be two more you need to worry about - phased out and ante).

And since your counting Unhinged there's also the
absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone. :p

--
David

WhiteLighter <whitelighter_does_not_work_anymore@gmx.net> wrote:
>If a creature is made an artifact by memnarch, the effect would not end at
>the end of the turn,

Right.

>but what would happen if that same creature was put
>into a graveyard, and then revived?

Since it changed zones, all effects that were affecting it in the OLD zone
end. (This isn't YuGiOh.) In a graveyard, it's just a creature card. (Assuming
it wasn't a token, wasn't an animated enchantment, etc.)

>would it still be an artifact?

Nope. "Artifacts", like "creatures", only exist in play; anywhere else they
are just various kinds of cards. It would become a creature card in the
graveyard; when put back into play by some other means, it would become a
creature, and would have No Idea it had ever been in play before at all, let
alone 'remember' that the card representing it used to be an artifact
creature last time it was in play.

(The only exception to this is phasing, and outside of Unhinged and the
Duelist Invitationals phasing cards were last seen in Weatherlight, several
years ago. Inside of Unhinged it's too dark to read Oracle.)

>still be an artifact in a graveyard? can I get it back with a white bringer?

No, and no.

Dave

Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
>If you're playing with older cards
>there may be two more you need to worry about - phased out and ante).

....right...

>or cards from Unhinged

....no, those add a third one.

Dave