I'm confused by NTBACKUP Differential Bachkup Option

Hi,
I just moved from Windows 98SE to a new computer with WindowsXP Home Edition
with SP2 preinstalled. I'm "backkup" oriented,and succeded in attaching the
NTBACKUP.MSI from the Windows XP CD-ROM. I have an external USB hard drive to
place these backups on to.

But now, being somewhat of a newbee, CONFUSION!

I would like to be able to make a complete backup - this I can do. I would
then like to make differential backups from time to time. As I understand it,
a complete restore would be the complete backup plus the LAST differential
backup made.

I anticipated I would see on the external hard drive my original complete
backup, and one or more differential backups. Then I would first restore the
complete backup, then the last differential backup.

But the options that I see are either
1.Append this backup to the media, or
2.Replace the data on the media with this backup

Are ALL the differential backups being appended via opton "1"? How do I do a
restore containing my original backup plus the last differential backup.

Another question, if I may...

I would like to, from time to time, be able to backup just data files - not
a complete backup or differential, and to be able just to restore these
later. I know I can select them. Do I use copy? I don't want to louse up my
differential file. Can they be copied to a disk? the backup has a weired
extension.

I DO have other questions, but in order not to be TOO longwinded, I thought
it best to try to resolve this one first.

I really would appreciate guidance, and am greatful a forum such as this,
with people willing to help, exists.

Thanks.

Benn Romm
2 answers Last reply
More about confused ntbackup differential bachkup option

    "Benn10038" <Benn10038@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just moved from Windows 98SE to a new computer with WindowsXP Home
    > Edition
    > with SP2 preinstalled. I'm "backkup" oriented,and succeded in attaching
    > the
    > NTBACKUP.MSI from the Windows XP CD-ROM. I have an external USB hard drive
    > place these backups on to.
    >
    > But now, being somewhat of a newbee, CONFUSION!
    >
    > I would like to be able to make a complete backup - this I can do. I would
    > then like to make differential backups from time to time. As I understand
    > it,
    > a complete restore would be the complete backup plus the LAST differential
    > backup made.
    >
    > I anticipated I would see on the external hard drive my original complete
    > backup, and one or more differential backups. Then I would first restore
    > the
    > complete backup, then the last differential backup.
    >
    > But the options that I see are either
    > 1.Append this backup to the media, or
    > 2.Replace the data on the media with this backup
    >
    > Are ALL the differential backups being appended via opton "1"? How do I do
    > restore containing my original backup plus the last differential backup.
    >
    > Another question, if I may...
    >
    > I would like to, from time to time, be able to backup just data files -
    > not
    > a complete backup or differential, and to be able just to restore these
    > later. I know I can select them. Do I use copy? I don't want to louse up
    > my
    > differential file. Can they be copied to a disk? the backup has a weired
    > extension.
    >
    > I DO have other questions, but in order not to be TOO longwinded, I
    > thought
    > it best to try to resolve this one first.
    >
    > I really would appreciate guidance, and am greatful a forum such as this,
    > with people willing to help, exists.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Benn Romm

    Your conclusions about Full + differential backups are essentially correct.

    On my external backup drive for each computer to be backed up I create three
    folders. (One parent two child) For instance for my laptop I create a folder
    called Inspiron with two subfolders called Inspiron_Differential and
    Inspiron_Differential_Alternate.

    I Direct a full backup to the Inspiron directory.

    When it comes time to do a differential backup I direct it to
    Inspiron_Differential. My next differential backup goes to
    Inspiron_Differential_Alternate. On subsequent differential backups I
    alternate between the two differential directories instructing the program
    to overwrite.

    This gives me one full stable backup and two differentials should unforeseen
    problems occur with one of them.

    To restore you would do first the Full backup, then one of the differential
    backups.

    FWIW at the time you do your initial full backup it's a good idea to do a
    second to some other media like DVD. (harddrives do fail) Windows backup
    utility won't do this unfortunately. I Use and like Stomp.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Hi,
    Thank you for your quick reply to my "help me!" cry.

    Let me see if the bulb you lit in my head is not too dim :-)

    Assume I creat two folders on my external hard drive. Folder is named "full
    back up", folder two is named "differential backup".

    I create my full backup in folder one.

    Later I make my first differential back up. I place it in the "differential
    backup folder". Can I elect either of the two choices to do this (Append this
    backup to the media) though there is as yet no media in the folder, or the
    option (replace data on the media with this packup)? I assume either one
    would work, am I correct?

    Still later, I make differential backup #2. I place this in the
    "differential Backup folder", but elect the option (replace data on this
    media with this backup). Will this then replace my differential #1 eith the
    new differential #2?

    And now, to restore my full backup and then append Differential backup #2 to
    it, both to the original location.

    Is the procedure to first restore the full backup,which is in folder #1,then
    to go to the "differential backup" folder, and elect "replace existing files"
    option? I ask this because the full backup and the differential backup were
    in different folders, and I don't know if this causes a problem.

    Hey, they don't call me Benn the worry wart for nothing! I remember the
    comment about Murphy's Law - "He was too optomistic".

    Thanks

    Benn

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> [...]
    > Inspiron_Differential. My next differential backup goes to
    > Inspiron_Differential_Alternate. On subsequent differential backups I
    > alternate between the two differential directories instructing the program
    > to overwrite.
    >
    > This gives me one full stable backup and two differentials should unforeseen
    > problems occur with one of them.
    >
    > To restore you would do first the Full backup, then one of the differential
    > backups.
    >
    > FWIW at the time you do your initial full backup it's a good idea to do a
    > second to some other media like DVD. (harddrives do fail) Windows backup
    > utility won't do this unfortunately. I Use and like Stomp.

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or

Backup Windows XP