Nice Review of the FX5600Ultra Rev.2

I brought <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=1" target="_new">THIS</A> out for another post, and feel it's probably of use to most of y'all. I didn't post it last night cause I HAD to go to sleep (I did post the APPLE post of course, cause I knew you guys were such apple fans! :wink: )

The REVISION 2 is a nice imporvement over the Rev.1. I also think the chip itself looks cleaner and more robust and therefore more likely to be good at taking some hardware tweaking (whatever HSF you throw at it). I LOVE the look of the Gainward board though and the HSF is pretty nice too, now just add some Red,Orange,Yellow LEDs in the HSF and make it looky real flamey (not a gay joke :lol: ).
Also note that the Gainward is clocked higher out of the box (450/900) SchwEEt!

<A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=1" target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gw56ufc&page=1</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
currently that Gainward card would be the most realistic upgrade i'll be considering from my Ti4200 because i gotta get a new mb/ CPU once Athlon 64 comes out

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

CoolSq, I'd wait a bit before getting it. IT'll likely come down in price in a while. And then when you put it on your new MOBO with a (I assume) formatted drive, you will likely not have any driver/conflict issues. Anywhoo, it looks like a nice choice, but a little pricey right now (give it some time [heck even my card sells for $50CDN less than 2 months ago]).
If you do get one let me know what you think I'd be very interested. And if you'v got a window in the case that HSF should look sweet just be sure to get a long enough (6 pci slots) mobo to show it off, and put your other cards at the bottom. :cool:

A card almost worthy of the title 'Evil'. :evil:

<b>EDIT:</b> and regarding your sig. I wouldn't get a new TOP-end card right now. Too many issues and too expensive, don't care which maker. I wonder if you could get your card (FX5600U) and then return it saying it doesn't work in HL2 with AA and you're very distressed (even though it likely wouldn't work well with AA on either the FX5600s or R9600s at res.). :wink:
If you got it from some place like FutureShop and got their ('extended replacement' warranty) you might be able to get a replacement PS3.0 card out of it at no extra cost (beyond the warranty). Oooh, truely evil! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 07/19/03 06:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I got the Xaser III and i got plans for my big boy~~~~
first
change all 7 fans into tri colour fans from Antec (drooling yet?)
changing my Hardcano into a Nexus from Vantec
I'm gonna try to change that "THERMALTAKE" light in the front of my case
I got a TrueBlue 480 from ANTEC
get the Gainward
get ASUS board (if there is a fan in Northbidge, i'll make that shine blue LED)
get a AERO 7+
i got blue round cables
and in the end i'll have a hotter case than GW
wahahahhahahahahahha
that's about $1500 worth of upgrades lol, wonders where to get that money........ YO RICH ASS KID FROM ACROSS THE STREET!!! I NEED $1500!!!!!

120% nVidia Fanboy

and in the end i'll have a hotter case than GW
And then you have to post to that vs thread. Although now that you've tipped off WS as to what you're going to do he may add liquid cooling with sea monkeys or something to show you up. :wink:

I like those Xaser cases, I was theeese close to buying one. I liked the LCD and fanboi/fan controls as well as the top mounted jacks. In th end I thought I can always add a control panel in the drive bay. Except no one had one when I built my rig. Now it's not worth he effort. I have software monitoring, and al my plugs have exensions to the front. So I spent the extra money on... BEER of course! :evil:

IF you do end up with all that, do post pictures as it would be nice to see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ya but u see that richass kid across the street doesn't want to lend me any money >< i guess i'll upgrade my mb/cpu first(kicks block heater) then i'll worry about making my computer pretty.

PS I build a computer for my dad, it was a Enermax case (the one similar to GWs) with Blue neon lights and 5 SMART CASE FAN II WITH ¡§COOLMOD¡¨ and it was a pain the ass to install all those cables, although it looks cool all the power cable is blocking the window, so i'd have to organize those then i'll post some pictures lol

120% nVidia Fanboy

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
OH BOY!!!
We already went over this!

I HAVE THE HOTTEST CASE AROUND MAN!!!

Silver chieftech, dual blue cathodes, clear psu, handles, warning overclocked window applique, *clean interior*, u know the rest!!!! (four exclamation points biatch!)

ITS OVER MAN! THE BELT IS MINE!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
no way man the belt belongs to GW and soon will be taken by me!!

HEY grape i got great news, my dad being real smart shut down my computer while i was down stair playing PS2 and well u see my mb is kinda screw so when u turn off the computer using the shut down button, the CPU continues running with the fun TURN OFF!!! i come back up stair and what do i see? a whoping 120C hot Athlon T-bird 1400!!! now if that thing doesn't burn up, those T-bird are s*** powerful, but u know, these things dont happen, and since it not my fault!! new mb/CPU for me!!! yay!!!

120% nVidia Fanboy

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
CS, what colors are in the tri-color? I forgot.

But anyways!!! Don't tell GW, but Blue and Red do NOT GO WELL TOGETHER in the way of lights, be it cathodes or leds, in a fan, or out. Blue or red, pick one, to have both is just stupid, it takes away the point. If you have one red cathode in ur case, and one blue cathode, thats uber lame! The light radiating from your case is then purple, not to mention sh*tty looking.

You want the design to flow. CONSISTANCY!

CS, ur gonna end up with almost the same looking pc I have! Cept my case fans arent lit, but it dosnt matter cause looking in front or behind my case, plenty of blue light comes out the fan places anyways, cause 2 blue cathodes are really bright!

I plan to get one of those Nexus things as soon as I get some cash. I'm also working on a little customization right now:) And I'll post some pics when I'm done:)

Pray that my Dremel skillz do not fail me!!!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Red, Blue, Green

120% nVidia Fanboy

CoolS, Ahhh the Power of Cheese, I mean Ahh the power of Guilt.

Aww Dad! You fried my Celeron 466 (I know that's not what you have it's just for illustration [I like illustrations, so pretty!])! Now I need a GA-7NNXP and an XP3200 to replace it! :wink:

Well so it survived 120C, or you haven't tested it yet? I'd be surprised. I assumed by your post it's toast, but you just mention is not burning up (not sure if you're jut glad it din't ignite).

In any case if you're gettin' new gear free from dad that's always a nice thing. I'm a little old for that now, but I sure did love it back in the day. :cool:

So haveyou decided yet? Barton? P4 2.4C? Via Gigapro ? :tongue:

Mobo?

Anywhoo enjoy the shopping. I personally love that Gigabyte board but I just can't see paying that much for something that doesn't support the A64, especially when my current board is made to run the Bartons. And unless you really need all the aditional crap then something with the basic Nforce2 is likely a good bet.

Also remember to get a good HSF with LEDs just for WS.

Enjoy.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
SURPRISINGLY this thing is still working perfectly like before!!! stupid Block Heater( kicks it) well my dad agrees to pay for it if this thing breaks down, and he's not giving me a limit, Prescott 4Ghz anyone? LOL
I'll probably pick up a Canterwood/Springdale with a 2.4C and wait for 3.6Ghz Prescott to drop under $400 CAD lol

120% nVidia Fanboy

eden

Champion
While I am late on this (hey, I gotta take a vacation sometimes, from this place :tongue: ), I have to ask if we're on the same page. Nothing in this review's benchmarks motivated me to say: Hey, this thing should be on my list of considerations!

Assume this site is more respectable because it uses other game tests than just the famous ones. It proves very well new games are not well run on this card compared to the 9600PRO, and it certainly is leaps and bounds........behind the 9700PRO (Kinney, this is a good read).
I simply can't see it like you do. The Rev.2 in this review is just NOT a better revision, and while it does use a higher core clock in the Gainward sample, that only proves it needs more $ to shell out to get similar performance to the 9600PRO.

I must be the only guy out there who thinks the review conclusions and your views to be just not right on the FX5600 Ultra V2 according to this review.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

Well yeah I would agree. However it's a NICE solution for the FX5600URev.2 I like the look of it an some of it's features. I think the review shows my card in a GREAT light since it beats the FX5600U in many areas. But there are areas where it does excel. I'd just say it's another GOOD REVIEW of what is unfortunately an overpriced card.
I still would put it on PAR (depends on the review) with the R9600Pros depending on price.

Speaking of PRICE I was just at Futre Shop today (looking at the NEW <A HREF="http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10030998&logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&WLBS=fs%2Dweb3" target="_new">Pioneer A-06</A> DVD multiformat DVD+/-RW :cool: , but they had none! :mad: )and guess what I saw? A Retail <A HREF="http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&WLBS=fs-web3&sku_id=0665000FS10030453&catid=&newdeptid=18" target="_new">BBA R9600non-pro-128mb</A>, and guess what. It was selling for $299CDN And right beside it was retail <A HREF="http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&WLBS=fs-web3&sku_id=0665000FS10029431&catid=&newdeptid=18" target="_new">BBA R9600Pro-128mb</A> selling for... wait for it.. wait... $279CDN. I pointed this out to my friend who works there and he said, yeah I know! Don't tell me! The launch prices are set by head office (Best Buy in BC) and then the prices come down by the managers discretion, and they already reduced the R9600Pro. So for the next little while this travesty will continue! I like the brighter colour on the R9600NP (you can see the Evil Goalie better too. :cool: But man I found that funny. Of course they had the FX5600Non-Ultra 256 on the shelf above for $349 which we chuckled about again.
ALSO I bought a pack of 8mm Memorex CDRS, they upped the storage to 210MB from 185mb, YAHOO. Even better than Cursor (200mb) now! Anywhoo just thought you'd get a kick out of it. BTW the site says something about MSO, but it's actually a BBA in the store. Also don't take note of the pictures in the links above, be sure to check memory speeds 400(200) vs 600(300). Anywho just thought you might want more proof that FS Sux! :smile:

eden

Champion
Hehehe, FutureSux...hehehe.

Boy I'll get a blast out of ruining their sales next year if I apply, by being.......honest... :evil: !

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

I think you might INCREASE their sales. Everyone likes to find someone they can TRUST in the BIZ, who won't yank their chain just for a measely few bucks in commision. You'll likely get alot of repeat business if they feel you're not blowing smoke up their wah-hooo!
I know that my aquaintance at FSux is MY guy because he knows I don't need PR, just tell me what you KNOW. And he always gives me the best service, and if neither of us know, he doesn't BS or guess, he says let's check the .net and see if we can find out.

Anywhoo, if you do work there then you gotta give me a heads up about cool upcoming sales. :wink:

BTW, still the best price I've seen on the A-06 (but there aren't many ads out there too), just wish they had one in the store yesterday.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Future Shop is only good for some things lke printers, burner etc. and that only when they have the model u want and their DVD price are pretty good too. Otherwise, their TERRIBLE!! lol this sellman was trying to make me buy their 3 year warrenty for burners when i was trying to buy the Yamaha F1 (they discontinued that already) and he said FS will replace my burner if it's broken in the three years, the thing is..... HOW? there isn't F1's around anymore -_-"

120% nVidia Fanboy

eden

Champion
When I spoke previously of my worries of excessive unprofessional staff (i.e. part-time job teens or anyone with no experience in the field), I meant it especially for tech shops.
Was at Compucentre the other time, had this newbie rep come to me for digicams. Was just looking around, no real intentions, just price comparisons. He had little clue what megapixels do, was just recommending the 800$ HP 5MP one, cuz it's "the best around with 5MP".
No, we simply CANNOT have such staff. They SHOULDN'T. No offense to anyone who felt targetted here, but that is the truth. I cannot stand shopping alongside ignorance!

--

CoolS, the funny thing is you may be able to trade it for a better model (can't think of one better especially since no disk-tattoo [the only thing I LOVED about those], and they are good at audio extraction supposedly, but you would know).
For you I don't think it would make sense, however for Graphics cards, their poclicy extends to equivalent replacement. So you MIGHT be able to trade in for something DX9/10 compliant for the DX8 card you bought last year. Only instances like THAT make sense to me for the warranty. Or something that is notorious for breaking down.
Yeah I only Shop at Fut.Sux for MEdia (pretty cheap for the GOOD stuff (memorex, maxell) And they seems to have the NEW CD/DVD drives first (I still haven't seen them advertised anywhere else in town (all still A-04/05), but yeah, I go there already knowing what I'm gonna buy, because I can be assured they won't help me make my decision, and if anything they'll simply inhibit my information gathering.

Well, <b>Eden</b> of course you don't want a MEGAPIXEL, would want a mega bunch of pixels. A MEGAPIXEL, heck even FOUR of them would be somewhat pointless. Well I took a picture of the rockies but the resolution is 2x2 so it's not really clear WHAT I shot. Man that guy at CompuSmart seemed to know Everything about a MEGAPIXEL. :tongue:

Yeah funny thing is Apeture size and other things get involved. I'm getting a digital ELF (now called Powershot s400) once ski season starts again. Yes the quality won't be as good as with a larger ap. camera, like some of the bigger cameras, but it's good enough for what I'm shooting, and the most important thing, I can fit it inside my breast pocket of my fleece to keep it warm. And don't get me started about digital zoom vs optical zoom (which I'm sure you're all familiar with) ever heard of Photoshop, DUH!

eden

Champion
Since we're on the topic of photography, please support the THGC Album, send your ugly mug to us!

--

Will do. Gimme some time to scan. I'll try and get something to them on the Wknd. Probably my Famous ASS-Breaking Ski Jump! :wink:
I also want to send a pic from the Liquor **pot (should be Depot) sign near me but I gotta scan it.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
those F1 burn static free music CD!!!! and Disc T@2 isn't really that great(great for showing off though)

120% nVidia Fanboy

CoolS, considering the NUMBER (like 100+) of 50% full CDs I have lying around, it sure would make things easier if the label were burnt into the CD (I hate searching for my Maxell CD markers), but I wasn't willing to pay the 50+% premium for it (especially since I wanted USB 2.0 or Firewire. But it would also impress the GF if her name/or the songs were on the edge her MP3 CDs, but oh well. I guess I'll just have to try and be a better person to achieve that. Wait, how much are those drives again? :wink:
I ended up with a BenQ with both 2.0/PCMCI (good for my old Sylistic [no usb and no cardbus to ADD USB]), and it cost less than half the price of a Yamaha ($160 vs almost $400 [costs almost as much as a PINE {pioneer inside} USB2.0 DVD burner!]).

As for the music I've heard they are awesome with AUDIO Cds but as I usually burn MP3 for the road I don't worry. If I actually burned AUDIO CDs for my stereo (NAD) in the living room then I'd care more.
Heck if I was making an AUDIO/MEDIA PC I'd also being using an RME audio card instead of this Audigy (which rocks for games) as they have great audio quality. But when it comes down to it, my stereo does audio great and when I get my DVD burner then I'll likely (if I can doi it with X-copy or something) be worrying about backing up my DVD-Audio, and hopefully they will all do that well (if I set burn speed low for less errors).

eden

Champion
Once more off-topic, CoolSquirtle, [drill seargeant voice] I wanna see yer ugly mug on MY album ay-sap!!![/drill seargeant voice]

[re-open DS voice]AND THAT APPLIES TO YOU ALL MAGGOTS THAT HAVEN'T YET!!![/DS voice]

:smile:

--