target problem

Hello.I have a question.
I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
became to be able to target same object.
Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?
Or is this rule valid only for splice?
12 answers Last reply
More about target problem
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Oh no! It's Yusuke!
    > Hello.I have a question.
    > I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    > became to be able to target same object.

    Huh?

    What do you mean by "category", and can you give an example? I'm afraid
    I, for one, can't understand the question as currently worded.

    > Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?

    Well, Decimate can now target the same thing more than once, provided it
    has more than one permanent type. For example, you can choose an
    artifact creature as both the artifact and the creature (but not the
    enchantment or the land, of course).

    The exact rule is that if a spell or ability uses the word "target" more
    than once, you can choose the same thing for more than one of those
    targets, provided it fits all the targeting criteria. For example, a
    card that said "Destroy target artifact, target creature and target
    land" can use an animated Stalking Stones for all three targets, which
    would not have been possible prior to this rule change. On the other
    hand, "Destroy two target creatures" could not use one creature as both
    targets - that type of wording still requires two distinct targets.

    Presumably those cards worded along the lines of "Destroy target
    creature and return another target creature to its owner's hand" would
    also still require two targets due to the word "another".

    > Or is this rule valid only for splice?

    The new rule about targets - if that is indeed the rule you have in mind
    - was probably created to make Splice work better, but it applies
    whether Splice is involved or not.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Gareth Pye wrote:

    > On 6 Dec 2004 21:01:35 -0800, ut_yusuke@yahoo.com (Yusuke) wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.I have a question.
    >> I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    >> became to be able to target same object.
    >> Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?
    >> Or is this rule valid only for splice?
    >
    > yes decimate can target the same object multilpe times now, (assumeing
    > the target is of the correct type for each target)
    > yes a entwine spell could now thoreticly target the same object
    > multiple times, but i don't think there are any that can (grab the
    > reigns being the only one with multiple targets that i can think of,
    > and a player can never be a creature. (What a pity that form of the
    > squirell didn't just say 'you are the squirell'))

    Why should a player be a creature?

    Grab the Reins
    {3}{R}
    Instant
    Choose one -- Until end of turn, you gain control of target creature
    and it gains haste; or sacrifice a creature, then ~this~ deals damage
    equal to that creature's power to target creature or player.
    Entwine {2}{R} (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

    --
    David
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 6 Dec 2004 21:01:35 -0800, ut_yusuke@yahoo.com (Yusuke) wrote:

    >Hello.I have a question.
    >I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    >became to be able to target same object.
    >Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?
    >Or is this rule valid only for splice?

    yes decimate can target the same object multilpe times now, (assumeing
    the target is of the correct type for each target)
    yes a entwine spell could now thoreticly target the same object
    multiple times, but i don't think there are any that can (grab the
    reigns being the only one with multiple targets that i can think of,
    and a player can never be a creature. (What a pity that form of the
    squirell didn't just say 'you are the squirell'))
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Gareth Pye <gareth@gpsatsys.com.au> wrote:

    > yes a entwine spell could now thoreticly target the same object
    > multiple times, but i don't think there are any that can

    Dream's Grip (pointless unless something triggers), Rain of Rust,
    Spectral Shift
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net

    On 6 Dec 2004 21:01:35 -0800, Yusuke <ut_yusuke@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Hello.I have a question.
    >I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    >became to be able to target same object.

    Almost. If the word "target" appears in different places in the text, those
    occurrences can target the same thing. If it only appears in one place but
    refers to several targets ("two target lands" for example) those targets
    still have to be different.

    >Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?

    Decimate, yes; Entwine spells, yes - but only Dream's Grip and Spectral Shift
    can usefully do this. (Grab the Reins can also do it but if it does it can't
    damage the now-missing creature; Rain of Rust can do it but can't destroy the
    already-destroyed artifact land, unless it regenerated from the first one.)

    Dave
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:01:09 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    >Presumably those cards worded along the lines of "Destroy target
    >creature and return another target creature to its owner's hand" would
    >also still require two targets due to the word "another".

    Yes. (Where, before the rule change, that was essentially reminder text, now
    it's not.)

    Dave
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Oh no! It's David de Kloet!
    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Gareth Pye wrote:
    >
    > > On 6 Dec 2004 21:01:35 -0800, ut_yusuke@yahoo.com (Yusuke) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello.I have a question.
    > >> I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    > >> became to be able to target same object.
    > >> Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?
    > >> Or is this rule valid only for splice?
    > >
    > > yes decimate can target the same object multilpe times now, (assumeing
    > > the target is of the correct type for each target)
    > > yes a entwine spell could now thoreticly target the same object
    > > multiple times, but i don't think there are any that can (grab the
    > > reigns being the only one with multiple targets that i can think of,
    > > and a player can never be a creature. (What a pity that form of the
    > > squirell didn't just say 'you are the squirell'))
    >
    > Why should a player be a creature?

    Have you actually read Form of the Squirrel?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:05:02 +0100, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Gareth Pye wrote:
    >
    >> On 6 Dec 2004 21:01:35 -0800, ut_yusuke@yahoo.com (Yusuke) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello.I have a question.
    >>> I heard that,while Splice coming in, targets of different category
    >>> became to be able to target same object.
    >>> Is this mean Decimate or entwine spells can also target same object?
    >>> Or is this rule valid only for splice?
    >>
    >> yes decimate can target the same object multilpe times now, (assumeing
    >> the target is of the correct type for each target)
    >> yes a entwine spell could now thoreticly target the same object
    >> multiple times, but i don't think there are any that can (grab the
    >> reigns being the only one with multiple targets that i can think of,
    >> and a player can never be a creature. (What a pity that form of the
    >> squirell didn't just say 'you are the squirell'))
    >
    >Why should a player be a creature?
    >
    >Grab the Reins
    >{3}{R}
    >Instant
    >Choose one -- Until end of turn, you gain control of target creature
    >and it gains haste; or sacrifice a creature, then ~this~ deals damage
    >equal to that creature's power to target creature or player.
    >Entwine {2}{R} (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)

    should read the card :(
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > Grab the Reins can also do it but if it does it can't
    > damage the now-missing creature

    I see nothing on Grab the Reins that would make the first target
    "missing".
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net
    http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
    039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Daniel W. Johnson <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote:
    >David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
    >> Grab the Reins can also do it but if it does it can't
    >> damage the now-missing creature
    >
    >I see nothing on Grab the Reins that would make the first target "missing".

    Lemme look again... Oh, okay, let me specify closer. You can target the
    same creature for the damage that you have grabbed. If you ALSO sacrificed
    that same creature (to a nontargetted part of the second mode), THEN the
    damage won't be able to get dealt. Sorry, was looking at a too-specific
    scenario and didn't type it out. If you don't also sacrifice that same
    creature, then Grab the Reins damages it just fine.

    Dave
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Oh no! It's Daniel W. Johnson!
    > David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Grab the Reins can also do it but if it does it can't
    > > damage the now-missing creature
    >
    > I see nothing on Grab the Reins that would make the first target
    > "missing".

    He seems to be assuming you're saccing the first target creature which,
    though the usual case in practice, isn't actually enforced by the card
    in any way.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:

    > He seems to be assuming you're saccing the first target creature which,
    > though the usual case in practice, isn't actually enforced by the card
    > in any way.

    For example, opponent might have an Ember-Fist Zubera with 1 damage
    while you have an undamaged Silent-Chant Zubera.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net
    http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/