In "My Computer", drives open with Search Results

I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. I have my computer set to single click
to open files etc.

I recently recovered from what I think may have been a worm which caused
all of my EXE files to open in Word Pad. I corrected this problem via
Folder Options, File Types. In the process of finding a repair I down
loaded a script (xp_exe_fix) from Doug Knox's web site. This script did not
fix my problem but immediately after I ran the script I noted a new
problem:

When I open "My Computer" and click on either 3 12" Floppy, Local Disk (C),
or CD-RW Drive (D) I get the "Search Results" window. If I RIGHT click on 3
1/2 Floppy, Local Disk (C) or CD-RW Drive (D) and click OPEN they will open
properly. I note that the FIRST OR TOP item in the RIGHT CLICK drop down
list is SEARCH. The SECOND item in the RIGHT CLICK drop down list is OPEN.
I do not know if this has anything to do with the problem but it may or may
not be a clue.

Can you suggest a cure for this problem?

Thank you,

Bob Havens

--
To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address
7 answers Last reply

    "Bob Havens" <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message

    > I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. I have my computer set to single
    > click to open files etc.
    >
    > I recently recovered from what I think may have been a worm which caused
    > all of my EXE files to open in Word Pad. I corrected this problem via
    > Folder Options, File Types. In the process of finding a repair I down
    > loaded a script (xp_exe_fix) from Doug Knox's web site. This script did
    > not fix my problem but immediately after I ran the script I noted a new
    > problem:
    >
    > When I open "My Computer" and click on either 3 12" Floppy, Local Disk
    > (C), or CD-RW Drive (D) I get the "Search Results" window. If I RIGHT
    > click on 3 1/2 Floppy, Local Disk (C) or CD-RW Drive (D) and click OPEN
    > they will open properly. I note that the FIRST OR TOP item in the RIGHT
    > CLICK drop down list is SEARCH. The SECOND item in the RIGHT CLICK drop
    > down list is OPEN. I do not know if this has anything to do with the
    > problem but it may or may not be a clue.
    >
    > Can you suggest a cure for this problem?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Bob Havens
    >

    > --
    > To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address

    Try this,

    start>run and type

    regedit

    navigate to the following keys

    HKey_Class_Root\Folder\shell
    {select the "default" (located in the right-hand pane) and delete.}

    HKey_Class_Root\Drive
    {select the "default" and modify the value to 'none' without the quotes.}

    HKey_Class_Root\Directory
    {select the "default" and modify the value to 'none' without the quotes.}

    --
    William

    It did not work. I did note that when I went into HKey Class
    Root\Folder\Shell and deleted I got a message that it was unable to delete
    all values. I do not know if this means anything or not. The other two
    steps in Drive and Directory went fine. I did reboot after making the
    edits.

    Do you have any other suggestions?

    Thank you,
    Bob Havens

    > It did not work. I did note that when I went into HKey Class
    > Root\Folder\Shell and deleted I got a message that it was unable to delete
    > all values. I do not know if this means anything or not. The other two
    > steps in Drive and Directory went fine. I did reboot after making the
    > edits.
    >
    > Do you have any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Bob Havens
    >

    > WTC wrote:
    >> "Bob Havens" <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2. I have my computer set to single
    >>> click to open files etc.
    >>>
    >>> I recently recovered from what I think may have been a worm which
    >>> caused all of my EXE files to open in Word Pad. I corrected this
    >>> problem via Folder Options, File Types. In the process of finding a
    >>> repair I down loaded a script (xp_exe_fix) from Doug Knox's web
    >>> site. This script did not fix my problem but immediately after I ran
    >>> the script I noted a new problem:
    >>>
    >>> When I open "My Computer" and click on either 3 12" Floppy, Local
    >>> Disk (C), or CD-RW Drive (D) I get the "Search Results" window. If I
    >>> RIGHT click on 3 1/2 Floppy, Local Disk (C) or CD-RW Drive (D) and
    >>> click OPEN they will open properly. I note that the FIRST OR TOP
    >>> item in the RIGHT CLICK drop down list is SEARCH. The SECOND item in
    >>> the RIGHT CLICK drop down list is OPEN. I do not know if this has
    >>> anything to do with the problem but it may or may not be a clue.
    >>>
    >>> Can you suggest a cure for this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> Bob Havens
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> To reply by EMail: Delete -remove to reply- from my address
    >>

    >> Try this,
    >>
    >> start>run and type
    >>
    >> regedit
    >>
    >> navigate to the following keys
    >>
    >> HKey_Class_Root\Folder\shell
    >> {select the "default" (located in the right-hand pane) and delete.}
    >>
    >> HKey_Class_Root\Drive
    >> {select the "default" and modify the value to 'none' without the
    >> quotes.}
    >> HKey_Class_Root\Directory
    >> {select the "default" and modify the value to 'none' without the
    >> quotes.}

    I am sorry, I messed up. Change the 'default' value to 'drive' in the
    HKey_Class_Root\Drive. Then go to HKey_Class_Root\Drive\shell and set the
    'default' value to 'none'.

    And change the 'default' value to 'File Folder' in the
    HKey_Class_Root\Directory. Then do to HKey_Class_Root\Directory\shell and
    set the 'default' value to 'none'.

    or you can open Notepad and copy the following and save it to the desktop as
    "FolderFix.reg"

    --------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]
    @="File Folder"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    @="none"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive]
    @="Drive"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
    @="none"

    -------

    then double click the "FolderFix.reg" to import to the registry.

    --
    William

    That did the trick. Thank you. This was the first time I have done an
    edit to the registry. I thought I really screwed it up but I guess not. I
    did cheat a little and created the FolderFix.reg file and clicked on it.
    That corrected the problem after I rebooted.
    When I followed your instructions to create the Folder Fix file with quotes
    around the file name was I creating a SCRIPT?

    Thank you,
    Bob

    > That did the trick. Thank you. This was the first time I have done an
    > edit to the registry. I thought I really screwed it up but I guess not.
    > I did cheat a little and created the FolderFix.reg file and clicked on it.
    > That corrected the problem after I rebooted.
    > When I followed your instructions to create the Folder Fix file with
    > quotes around the file name was I creating a SCRIPT?

    You're welcome, it is just an easier way to import changes (merge) to the
    registry. I wouldn't really call it a script. But a script file could have
    done this also but it would have look different. the filename would be
    FolderFix.vbs. You would still use Notepad to create the file. Here is an
    example.

    ----------------
    'Fixes the problem when Search opens when double-clicking a folder.

    keyname0 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\"
    keyname1 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\"
    keyvalue0= "none"

    WshShell.RegWrite keyname0, keyvalue0
    WshShell.RegWrite keyname1, keyvalue0

    X = WshShell.Run("REGSVR32 /I /S SHELL32.DLL",4,True)
    Set WshShell = Nothing

    MyBox = MsgBox("Double-clicking on Folders should now Open instead of the
    Search Function.", 4096, "Folder Fix")
    --------------

    --
    William

    Writing scripts sounds like it is a bit complicated. I will stick to
    posting my questions here in the News Groups. At least I got my first shot
    at editing the registry which was quite an adventure for me.
    Thanks again,
    Bob Havens

    WTC wrote:
    > "Bob Havens" <bhavens@flash-removetoreply-.net> wrote in message
    >> That did the trick. Thank you. This was the first time I have done
    >> an edit to the registry. I thought I really screwed it up but I
    >> guess not. I did cheat a little and created the FolderFix.reg file
    >> and clicked on it. That corrected the problem after I rebooted.
    >> When I followed your instructions to create the Folder Fix file with
    >> quotes around the file name was I creating a SCRIPT?
    >>

    > You're welcome, it is just an easier way to import changes (merge)
    > to the registry. I wouldn't really call it a script. But a script
    > file could have done this also but it would have look different. the
    > filename would be FolderFix.vbs. You would still use Notepad to
    > create the file. Here is an example.
    >
    > ----------------
    > 'Fixes the problem when Search opens when double-clicking a folder.
    >
    > Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    >
    > keyname0 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\"
    > keyname1 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\"
    > keyvalue0= "none"
    >
    > WshShell.RegWrite keyname0, keyvalue0
    > WshShell.RegWrite keyname1, keyvalue0
    >
    > X = WshShell.Run("REGSVR32 /I /S SHELL32.DLL",4,True)
    > Set WshShell = Nothing
    >
    > MyBox = MsgBox("Double-clicking on Folders should now Open instead of
    > the Search Function.", 4096, "Folder Fix")
  7. Just got to below location
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    In write pane you will get (Default) entry with value data as "Find" without quotes,Just change to none & click on OK.
    Check ur problem is solve.

Computers Windows XP