Computer keeps freezing!

Last response: in Computer Brands
January 1, 2005 12:58:23 AM

A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She asked
me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It freezes when I
enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It doesn't freeze at
any particular moment during any of these task. I thought maybe her stick of
ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which I know is good and it still
does the same thing. I thought maybe the slot in which the ram goes was bad
but I put it in the second slot and still the same thing. anybody ever
experience this?

Thanks

More about : computer freezing

January 1, 2005 2:03:38 AM

The second computer I bought had this issue. Turns out one of the
jumpers in the motherboard was loose. The shop (not Dell) where I
bought it replaced the motherboard while I waited, and one of the
jumpers fell out on the counter.

Jim

Co-Show wrote:
> A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
> messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She asked
> me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It freezes when I
> enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It doesn't freeze at
> any particular moment during any of these task. I thought maybe her stick of
> ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which I know is good and it still
> does the same thing. I thought maybe the slot in which the ram goes was bad
> but I put it in the second slot and still the same thing. anybody ever
> experience this?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:13:46 AM

If a clean install - presuming it was done correctly - doesn't solve the
problem, it's a hardware issue. Might be the power supply, hard disk,
cooling fan, video card or even the motherboard. Bring the computer to a pro
and have it checked out.

Ted Zieglar

"Co-Show" <coshow@defnet.com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
>messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She
>asked me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It freezes
>when I enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It doesn't
>freeze at any particular moment during any of these task. I thought maybe
>her stick of ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which I know is good
>and it still does the same thing. I thought maybe the slot in which the ram
>goes was bad but I put it in the second slot and still the same thing.
>anybody ever experience this?
>
> Thanks

January 1, 2005 8:30:48 AM

Or dust and dirt accumulated inside the chassis, preventing proper ventilation
and cooling... Ben Myers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:13:46 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>If a clean install - presuming it was done correctly - doesn't solve the
>problem, it's a hardware issue. Might be the power supply, hard disk,
>cooling fan, video card or even the motherboard. Bring the computer to a pro
>and have it checked out.
>
>Ted Zieglar
>
>"Co-Show" <coshow@defnet.com> wrote in message
>>A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
>>messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She
>>asked me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It freezes
>>when I enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It doesn't
>>freeze at any particular moment during any of these task. I thought maybe
>>her stick of ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which I know is good
>>and it still does the same thing. I thought maybe the slot in which the ram
>>goes was bad but I put it in the second slot and still the same thing.
>>anybody ever experience this?
>>
>> Thanks

January 1, 2005 3:54:45 PM

you could also try reseating the CPU
"Jim" <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote in message
> The second computer I bought had this issue. Turns out one of the jumpers
> in the motherboard was loose. The shop (not Dell) where I bought it
> replaced the motherboard while I waited, and one of the jumpers fell out
> on the counter.
>
> Jim
>
> Co-Show wrote:
>> A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
>> messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She
>> asked me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It
>> freezes when I enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It
>> doesn't freeze at any particular moment during any of these task. I
>> thought maybe her stick of ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which
>> I know is good and it still does the same thing. I thought maybe the slot
>> in which the ram goes was bad but I put it in the second slot and still
>> the same thing. anybody ever experience this?
>>

>> Thanks
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 3:54:46 PM

The jumper suggestion is good. I'd also try a different keyboard and mouse,
or try them independently - with all unneeded external devices unplugged.

Stew

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> you could also try reseating the CPU
> "Jim" <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>> The second computer I bought had this issue. Turns out one of the
>> jumpers in the motherboard was loose. The shop (not Dell) where I bought
>> it replaced the motherboard while I waited, and one of the jumpers fell
>> out on the counter.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Co-Show wrote:
>>> A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing. No error
>>> messages, just freezes. It can run for ten minutes or ten seconds. She
>>> asked me to reformat the drive but during the process it stops. It
>>> freezes when I enter bios. It freezes when I try to boot from floppy. It
>>> doesn't freeze at any particular moment during any of these task. I
>>> thought maybe her stick of ram was bad but I replaced it with mine which
>>> I know is good and it still does the same thing. I thought maybe the
>>> slot in which the ram goes was bad but I put it in the second slot and
>>> still the same thing. anybody ever experience this?
>>>

>>> Thanks

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:54:05 AM

"Co-Show" <coshow@defnet.com> wrote:
>A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 2100 that keeps freezing.

Yeah, as others have said, either loose parts or some kind of
intermittent hardware failure. Those can be really difficult to find,
though I'd start with looking for loose bits and then running
low-level hardware diags.

If it's under warranty, call Dell RSN.
!