Meddling Mage, Isochron Scepter, and Split cards

Ok, here's the simplified setup:

Player A has an Isochron Scepter in play imprinted with Fire/Ice.

Player B plays Meddling Mage naming "Fire/Ice".

Does this prevent Player A from using the Scepter's ability? The
scepter allows you to play a copy of the named imprinted card without
paying its mana cost. Is their any distinction between playing the
card and playing a "copy" of the card that would allow you to still use
the scepter?

Thank-you,
Leon

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com writes:
> Player A has an Isochron Scepter in play imprinted with Fire/Ice.
>
> Player B plays Meddling Mage naming "Fire/Ice".
>
> Does this prevent Player A from using the Scepter's ability?

No. (Technicality: Even if the Mage prevented the copy from being
played, the Scepter's ability could still be played, even if it
wouldn't do anything useful.)

,----[ Oracle ]
| Meddling Mage
| {W}{U}
| Creature -- Wizard
| 2/2
| As Meddling Mage comes into play, name a nonland card.
| The named card can't be played.
`----

The Meddling Mage explicitly refers to cards. A copy-of-a-card made by
the Scepter isn't a card, and thus the Mage doesn't stop it.

If it were worded "The named spell can't be played" or something, then
the Mage would stop it. (Although then again, as a spell it would just
be named Fire or be named Ice, and not Fire/Ice. So it might depend on
if a "can't be played" restriction gets checked before the selection
of which half to use. So I'm less sure about this now.) But it's not
worded that way, possibly for this reason, so it's a rather
theoretical discussion.

> Thank-you,

You're very welcome. Please post again if you have any more questions.

--
Peter C.
A chicken is an egg's way of producing more eggs

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com <leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Ok, here's the simplified setup:
>
>Player A has an Isochron Scepter in play imprinted with Fire/Ice.

Okay, He can play either half after making the copy.

>Player B plays Meddling Mage naming "Fire/Ice".

Now he can still play either half after making the copy... because Meddling
Mage prevents the named -card- from being played. The copy is not a card. (The
card sits in the RFG zone, and the copy is also made in that zone and played
from there onto the stack, but the copy's not itself a card.)

>Does this prevent Player A from using the Scepter's ability?

No. To stop A from using the Scepter's _ability_, something on the order of
"The chosen player can't play activated abilities of artifacts" would be
needed - Abeyance, City of Solitude, Damping Matrix, Hand to Hand, Null Rod,
or Stasis Cocoon could all cause this (some only during certain time periods).

A can use the Scepter's ability regardless of what _spells_ or _cards_ A is
able to play. When the ability resolves, A may make a copy; if A does, A must
then attempt to play the copy without paying its mana cost. Effects that stop
a -card- with that name from being played will not stop this; effects that
stop a -spell- with that name from being played ... well, this gets to the
next complication: once the split card is a spell, its name is either Fire or
Ice. Not both. So saying the spell "Fire/Ice" could not be played doesn't
exactly stop you from choosing to play the Fire side and putting that side of
the copy on the stack. (Which is a good reason why Meddling Mage doesn't say
"spells", it says "cards".)

> The scepter allows you to play a copy of the named imprinted card without
>paying its mana cost. Is their any distinction between playing the
>card and playing a "copy" of the card that would allow you to still use
>the scepter?

Why, yes; no actual -card- is involved with the copy. (Because of this, if
you CAN'T play the copy for some reason after making it - no legal target is
the most common problem - it Evaporates Completely once the Scepter ability
is done resolving.) A copy of a card is not itself a card. (And a card that
becomes a copy of something else will still be a card, even if it's a Clone
copying a Wasp token, for example.)

Dave