How would this card work?

Hello, all!
Imagine the following card:

Form of the Phoenix
2WWW
(Legendary?) Enchantment
~ comes into play with 10 life counters on it.
If your life total would become 0 or less, it becomes equal
to the number of life counters on ~ instead. Remove half of life
counters from ~, rounded up.

The idea is simple: when you are about to die, you are "reborn" with
half your starting life, then with half that amount, and so on.

My question is the following: how would it interact with combat
damage?
For example, my Form of the Phoenix has 5 counters, I'm at 6 life
and have 2, 2, 2, and 11 damage assigned to me (say,
3 Eternal Witnesses and Darksteel Colossus attacking and not blocked).
Will I be able to say "Take 2, then 2, then 11 - my life becomes 5,
Form of the Phoenix loses 3 counters, then I take the remaining 2 and
my life becomes 3." Or is it one big batch of damage (2+2+2+11=17)
so that I end up with 5 life and Form of the Phoenix - with 2 counters?
2 answers Last reply
More about card work
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > My question is the following: how would it interact with combat
    > damage?

    Combat damage is all dealt at once (in the absence of first
    strike/double strike).

    310.4. Combat damage resolves as an object on the stack. When it
    resolves, it's all dealt at once, as originally assigned. After combat
    damage finishes resolving, the active player gets priority.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net

    arkadyz1@yahoo.com <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Hello, all! Imagine the following card:
    >
    >Form of the Phoenix >2WWW >(Legendary?) Enchantment
    >~ comes into play with 10 life counters on it.
    >If your life total would become 0 or less, it becomes equal
    >to the number of life counters on ~ instead. Remove half of life
    >counters from ~, rounded up.
    >
    >The idea is simple: when you are about to die, you are "reborn" with
    >half your starting life, then with half that amount, and so on.
    >
    >My question is the following: how would it interact with combat damage?

    It would not interact with the damage itself at all; it would not prevent it.
    It would change what happened when the damage reduced your life total. The
    damage would not "re-reduce your life total afterwards" or anything.

    >For example, my Form of the Phoenix has 5 counters, I'm at 6 life
    >and have 2, 2, 2, and 11 damage assigned to me (say,
    >3 Eternal Witnesses and Darksteel Colossus attacking and not blocked).
    >Will I be able to say "Take 2, then 2, then 11 - my life becomes 5,
    >Form of the Phoenix loses 3 counters, then I take the remaining 2 and
    >my life becomes 3." Or is it one big batch of damage (2+2+2+11=17)
    >so that I end up with 5 life and Form of the Phoenix - with 2 counters?

    It is dealt simultaneously, unless first strike or double strike is involved.
    Your card doesn't say it cares -why- the life total is changing, so it would
    not "track" separate sources of damage for any reason. You would go from
    having 6 life to having 5 life, as the result of being dealt 17 damage and
    "trying to lose 17 life".

    Dave

Phoenix Video Games