best all round graphics card?

ozdude

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
hi all,
just wondering what ppls thoughts were on best all round graphics card. basically i want a card that will work well using photoshop but also handle games as well. any help appreciated. by the way im running a p4 2.4 with a gig of ram.
cheers

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
it depends on how much $$$ u r willing to spend. If i had 400 bucks, 9800 Pro wud be a all round card for me. For 200-250 bucks, either the 9600 Pro or the 5600 Ultra Rev.2 with VIVO wud be the card to get.

<b>thinking of a good sig. till then...</b>

Yeah, I'd agree with that. If money is no object then go with the top of the line from either. FX5900Ultra or R9800Pro. Maybe the R9700pro/non-pro as a mid-range alternate to the above. But the R9600PRo and FX 5600Urev.2 are great choices too, allowing you to do most things and play most games, and also let you spend money on other things like Flash memory for your camera, or on a new game/software.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Okay... good choices for each price range. Any will have Photoshop begging for mercy. Each is good for gaming, and obviously the more you spend, the more you get (At least pertaining to this list. Go ahead, spend $200 on a 256mb GFFX 5600. See how much performance you gain.)
$100 Ti4200 (DX8)
$150-$175 ATi 9600 Pro/nV GFFX 5600U R.2
$215 ATi 9700 np
$260 ATi 9700 Pro
$350 ATi 9800 Pro 128mb
$500 ATi 9800P 256/nV GFFX 5900U 256mb

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

ozdude

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
thanks to all who replied. money IS an object and in australia stuff costs more so i may have to give ebay a go.
thanks again

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a Radeon 9700 non-Pro

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Grape, I havn't purchased a piece of software as long as I can remember... I think the last game I bought was Unreal Tournament... not 2k3. Before that I had purchased half-life and the expansion packs.

Now ive entered the wonderful world of file-sharing, and cd-burning, and my great h4x0r friends online come up with fixes so it all works! Just gotta deal with the pop-ups!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Just gotta deal with the pop-ups!
Not if you have google toolbar 2.0. This thing is amazing when it comes to blocking pop-ups. Even has a little counter which can be clicked to allow certain pop-ups, and you just click again to continue blocking them. A must have for ppl who surf warez such as cracks.am.

*Credit given to Eden for informing us about this great utility.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
hehe.

To be honest with you i dont mind the warez pop-ups:)

Ive used pop-up blockers before, that have worked flawlessly, but then i cant see when theres a new survey to take on THG! Theres some other sites I go to that also have pop-ups i want to see.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Just gotta deal with the pop-ups!
Get KazaaLite++ no-popups, and anonymous, and can't tell what elese you share. New version of Morpheus to come out like that as well. Not that I would NEED that. :wink: . Who's the RIAA, and what do they want with my copy of Canadian Bacon?!?

I tend to purchase the games I like, but I also like to test th games before I get them. And considering I'm NOT a hardcore gamer, the small out of pocket for me isn't a big deal. The things that bother ME most is waiting for movies! '28 days later' was availible on DVD in the UK before it was in theatres here! That ticks me off!
I'd rather pay to see it in theatres but LET me see it IN theatres!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: