Callous Oppressor and Imagecrafter

I've been using the following combination of cards:

***************

Callous Oppressor
{1}{U}{U}
Creature -- Cephalid
1/2
You may choose not to untap Callous Oppressor during your untap step.
As Callous Oppressor comes into play, an opponent chooses a creature type.
{T}: Gain control of target creature that isn't of the chosen type as long as Callous Oppressor remains tapped.

**

Imagecrafter
{U}
Creature -- Wizard
1/1
{T}: Choose a creature type other than Legend or Wall. Target creature's type becomes that type until end of turn.

**

Voidmage Prodigy
{U}{U}
Creature -- Wizard
2/1
{U}{U}, Sacrifice a Wizard: Counter target spell.
Morph {U} (You may play this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)

***************

The home-built decks around my house tend to be very tribal. The most
hated deck in the house was the "Sliver" deck... but the "Zombie" deck
was a close runner up...

Until I started running the above combo.

A question came up about the durability of Callous Oppressor's control.

Since the decks it fights are tribal, my opponents always name their own
tribe to try and neutralize the Callous Oppressor... So I use the
Imagecrafters to turn their creatures into Wizards... and *then* I steal
them with the Callous Oppressor. (And, if needed, then I sacrifice them
to the Voidmage Prodigy to counter whatever they are trying to do next.)

What happens when the creature returns to it's original type at the end of
turn?

We've played it both ways here... But I remain unsure.

I hope to use this icky combo in a local (unsanctioned) tournament in
about a week, and want to be able to defend my position with solid rules
when I do it... especially if it's the more favorable interpretation that
I get to keep it.

(Did I mention how this gets really obscene when you toss in some Pemmin's
Aura and a deck that's just a wee bit manna heavy?)

Gene P.
Slidell LA

--
Alcore Nilth - The Mad Alchemist of Gevbeck
alcore@uurth.com

"Gene P." <alcore@uurth.com> writes:
> I've been using the following combination of cards:
>
> Callous Oppressor {1}{U}{U} Creature -- Cephalid
> 1/2
> You may choose not to untap Callous Oppressor during your untap step.
> As Callous Oppressor comes into play, an opponent chooses a creature type.
> {T}: Gain control of target creature that isn't of the chosen type
> as long as Callous Oppressor remains tapped.
>
> Imagecrafter

Note that with the new legends and wall rules introduced with
Champions, this is now

| Imagecrafter {U} Creature -- Wizard
| 1/1
| T: Choose a creature type. Target creature's type becomes that type
| until end of turn.

> The home-built decks around my house tend to be very tribal. The most
> hated deck in the house was the "Sliver" deck... but the "Zombie" deck
> was a close runner up...
>
> Until I started running the above combo.
>
> A question came up about the durability of Callous Oppressor's control.
>
> Since the decks it fights are tribal, my opponents always name their own
> tribe to try and neutralize the Callous Oppressor... So I use the
> Imagecrafters to turn their creatures into Wizards... and *then* I steal
> them with the Callous Oppressor. (And, if needed, then I sacrifice them
> to the Voidmage Prodigy to counter whatever they are trying to do next.)
>
> What happens when the creature returns to it's original type at the end of
> turn?

The creature gets its original type back. The targeting restriction on
Callous Oppressor is checked at two (and only two) times: When you
play the ability, and when the ability resolves. Once the ability
resolves, the duration is as long as it says: as long as Callous
Oppressor remains tapped.

> We've played it both ways here... But I remain unsure.
>
> I hope to use this icky combo in a local (unsanctioned) tournament
> in about a week, and want to be able to defend my position with
> solid rules when I do it... especially if it's the more favorable
> interpretation that I get to keep it.

You might want to reference the Onslaught FAQ entry for Callous
Oppressor <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/faq/onslaught>.

--
Peter C.
DCI Local (Level 1) Judge

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:33:34 -0600, Gene P. <alcore@uurth.com> wrote:
>I've been using the following combination of cards:
>
>***************
>Callous Oppressor >{1}{U}{U} >Creature -- Cephalid
>1/2 You may choose not to untap Callous Oppressor during your untap step. /
>As Callous Oppressor comes into play, an opponent chooses a creature type. /
>{T}: Gain control of target creature that isn't of the chosen type as long as
> Callous Oppressor remains tapped.
>**
>Imagecrafter >{U} >Creature -- Wizard
>1/1 >{T}: Choose a creature type other than Legend or Wall. Target creature's
> type becomes that type until end of turn.

That's a perfectly good combo; change something to not-the-chosen-type and
steal it. (CO doesn't ever check AFTER its ability resolves whether the target
is still legal.)

>**
>Voidmage Prodigy >{U}{U} >Creature -- Wizard
>2/1 {U}{U}, Sacrifice a Wizard: Counter target spell. / Morph {U} (*)

Also good with Imagecrafter; make something you stole into a Wizard, then
sac it to counter the spell.

>A question came up about the durability of Callous Oppressor's control.

Its target legality - "creature that isn't of the chosen type" - like any other
targetting specification, only gets checked on announcement and on resolution.
It never gets checked after that; CO doesn't care if the creature reverts,
as the turn ends, to being the chosen type, it will still keep hold of it "as
long as CO is tapped".

>Since the decks it fights are tribal, my opponents always name their own
>tribe to try and neutralize the Callous Oppressor... So I use the
>Imagecrafters to turn their creatures into Wizards... and *then* I steal
>them with the Callous Oppressor. (And, if needed, then I sacrifice them
>to the Voidmage Prodigy to counter whatever they are trying to do next.)

That's fine.

>What happens when the creature returns to it's original type at the end of
>turn?

Nothing much; CO's effect gives you control of it "as long as CO remains
tapped", not 'as long as CO remains tapped and the creature remains not of the
cjhosen type'.

>I hope to use this icky combo in a local (unsanctioned) tournament in
>about a week, and want to be able to defend my position with solid rules
>when I do it... especially if it's the more favorable interpretation that
>I get to keep it.

409.1c(d,e) cover checking targets on announcement; 413.2a on resolution.
418.3a,b cover the duration of an effect. (418.3d is relevant to CO's ability,
but not in the situation you ask about; it covers what happens if CO untaps
BEFORE its ability resolves.) CO's effect changes something's controller, so
determines what it affects as it is resolving, and does not change later
what it affects.

Dave