Optimum Swap file location?

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hello all

Ok, I have winXP installed on a Maxtor SATA 300GB HD and a PATA 120 GB HD in
an external Firewire enclosure. Would I get any benefit from setting the
windows swap file on either one HD or the other or should I just let WinXP
manage the swap file?

TIA

BillL

AMD64 3200+, Gigabyte NF4 -SLI, 1 GB RAM, Leadtek 6600GT, DVD-ROM, DVD RW.

Hi Bill,

Look here for the answer you seek.
Virtual Memory in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

BillL wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Ok, I have winXP installed on a Maxtor SATA 300GB HD and
> a PATA 120 GB HD in an external Firewire enclosure. Would
> I get any benefit from setting the windows swap file on
> either one HD or the other or should I just let WinXP
> manage the swap file?
> TIA
>
> BillL
>
> AMD64 3200+, Gigabyte NF4 -SLI, 1 GB RAM, Leadtek 6600GT,
> DVD-ROM, DVD RW.

Bert

Can you place a pagefile on a hard drive in an external Firewire
enclosure?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Bill,
>
> Look here for the answer you seek.
> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> BillL wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> Ok, I have winXP installed on a Maxtor SATA 300GB HD and
>> a PATA 120 GB HD in an external Firewire enclosure. Would
>> I get any benefit from setting the windows swap file on
>> either one HD or the other or should I just let WinXP
>> manage the swap file?
>> TIA
>>
>> BillL
>>
>> AMD64 3200+, Gigabyte NF4 -SLI, 1 GB RAM, Leadtek 6600GT,
>> DVD-ROM, DVD RW.

Hi Gerry,

I have never tried it, so I can't stay.
I leave mine in C:\ anyway.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Gerry Cornell wrote:
> Bert
>
> Can you place a pagefile on a hard drive in an external
> Firewire enclosure?
>

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Look here for the answer you seek.
>> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> BillL wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> Ok, I have winXP installed on a Maxtor SATA 300GB HD and
>>> a PATA 120 GB HD in an external Firewire enclosure.
>>> Would I get any benefit from setting the windows swap
>>> file on either one HD or the other or should I just let
>>> WinXP manage the swap file?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> BillL
>>>
>>> AMD64 3200+, Gigabyte NF4 -SLI, 1 GB RAM, Leadtek
>>> 6600GT, DVD-ROM, DVD RW.

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Seems to work fine as far as I can tell ;o)

BillL

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Bert
>
> Can you place a pagefile on a hard drive in an external Firewire
> enclosure?
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Look here for the answer you seek.
>> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> BillL wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> Ok, I have winXP installed on a Maxtor SATA 300GB HD and
>>> a PATA 120 GB HD in an external Firewire enclosure. Would
>>> I get any benefit from setting the windows swap file on
>>> either one HD or the other or should I just let WinXP
>>> manage the swap file?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> BillL
>>>
>>> AMD64 3200+, Gigabyte NF4 -SLI, 1 GB RAM, Leadtek 6600GT,
>>> DVD-ROM, DVD RW.

I've got 2 external USB 2.0 Maxtor drives, and even though it will let me
set min/max or system manage a "pagefile.sys" to them, it never creates the
files - as I believe it knows they are external and removable. Think about
it, the OS is not going to let you "attempt" to commit suicide - if you put
a pagefile on an external removable drive, then the OS pages something to it
(especially important kernel information/code), you remove the drive, then
the OS needs that data back, what's going to happen - you guessed it a big
BSOD.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"