  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
November 22, 2004 4:55:50 PM

I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's idea and
slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone wants to change
there details from Pete's database, or weren't in it or dont want to be in
mine. I'll also take your player preferred moves, and some stats (i.e.
whether you want to be fast strong etc... not all 20's though).

First things, suggestions for a name and country to play in (Not Italy,
England or somewhere that requires home nationals).

Team Name:
Country:

Standard data:

First Name:
Second Name:
Common Name:
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Nationality (+EU one):
Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]):
Squad Number(first come first served):
Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank) 20 -
first pos.):
GK:
SW:
D:
DM:
M:
AM:
S:
Wing Back:
FreeRole:
Right:
Left:
Centre:

Foot(out of 20)
L:
R:

Favoured Clubs:
Dislike Clubs:
People Like: (2 at most non AGCM)
Dislike:

PPM (Delete what you dont want):

Arrives late in opponents Area.
Attempts Overhead Kicks.
Avoids using Weaker Foot.
Comes Deep To get ball.
Curls Ball.
Cuts inside(Winger).
Dictates Tempo(Midfield).
Dives into Tackles.
Does not dive into tackles.
Dwells on ball (BAD).
Gets Crowd Going.
Gets Forward whenever possible.
gets into opposition area.
hits free kcik with power.
hugs line(Winger)
knocks ball past opponent.
likes ball at feet
likes to beat man repeatedly
lop keeper
round keeper
switch ball to other flank
beat offside trap
pass rather than shoot
marks tightly
moves ball to left before dribbling.
moves ball to right before dribbling
moves into channels (Striker)
places shots
no through balls
one twos
short simple passes
back to goal
dribble down left
" " " right
" " " centre
long shot
power shot
stays back always
stops play
1st time shots
killer balls often
long range freekicks
long range passes
play out of trouble
tricks
outside of foot
winds up opponents.

NOTE: If you pick bad ones, you'll not play as much :-) Explantions are in
the 36meg pdf that should be in the games install directary though ask if
you dont know what they mean.

Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast and
can cross or slow and strong]:

If you want to be a non-player position and stats:

Anything I've missed out:

--
Michael Murray

More about : agcm team

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:59:56 PM

Michael Murray wrote:
> I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's
> idea and slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone
> wants to change there details from Pete's database, or weren't in it
> or dont want to be in mine. I'll also take your player preferred
> moves, and some stats (i.e. whether you want to be fast strong etc...
> not all 20's though).
>
> First things, suggestions for a name and country to play in (Not
> Italy, England or somewhere that requires home nationals).

Holland is your friend for not requiring WP's ;-)
I'll add my details later :-)

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

"I never comment on referees, and I'm not going to break the habit of a
lifetime for that prat"
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:29:29 PM

Current players (from Pete's Database), Let me know if your names spelt
wrong or pos is wrong, place of births, favs/dislikes and stats are required
if you want(reply to first message):

Advocaat, Mike - Sweeper - Okay playing as a DC?
Arthur, Mike - AMRC
Blaxell, Eddy - MRC
Briggs, Toby - DC
Crnkovic, Miljenko - MC
Fenris - DLC
Finlayson, Rob - AMRC
Flynn, Chris - D/DMRLC
Hamish - D/DMR
Heslop, Pete - GK
Heretakis, Nick - DM/MC
Janetzki, Warwick - MRLC
Keen, Darren - DC
King, Dan - D/MR
Lauridsen, Lars - D/DMCR
Liguori, Edu - FC
Lion, Adam - D/AMR
Mackellar, Roddy - D/DM/MC
Marsh, Daniel - D/DMLC
Mills, Rich - GK
Minkov, Ivan - SC
Moir, Robert - D/DMRC
Perrin, Steve - AM/FRC
PivotalG - SC
Robbins, Marc - SC
Sch(o/)ler(correct in db), Mikael - AMLC
Scythe - DMC
Shatrov, Timofei - D/DMC
Sollie, Frank - DMCL
Tom (Parry-)Jones - FRC
Weir, Stephen - D/SRC

Don't need anymore right midfielders another Keeper would help (only 2 at
moment).

Currently 32 players.
--
Michael Murray
November 22, 2004 7:05:31 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:55:50 -0000, "Michael Murray"
<NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's idea and
>slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone wants to change
>there details from Pete's database, or weren't in it or dont want to be in
>mine. I'll also take your player preferred moves, and some stats (i.e.
>whether you want to be fast strong etc... not all 20's though).
>
>First things, suggestions for a name and country to play in (Not Italy,
>England or somewhere that requires home nationals).
>
>Team Name: .......(don't know)
>Country: Spain
>
>Standard data:
>
>First Name: you got this
>Second Name: you got this
>Common Name: you got this
>Date of Birth: you got this
>Place of Birth: Lamia
>Nationality (+EU one): Greek
>Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): Greek 10, English 7, Italian 5
>Squad Number(first come first served): 6
>Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank) 20 -
>first pos.):
>GK:
>SW:
>D:
>DM: 20
>M: 15
>AM: 10
>S:
>Wing Back:
>FreeRole: 15
>Right:
>Left: 15
>Centre: 20
>
>Foot(out of 20)
>L: 20
>R:
>
>Favoured Clubs: Olympiakos, Barcelona, Ajax
>Dislike Clubs: Panathinaikos, Real Madrid, OFI Crete
>People Like: (2 at most non AGCM) Predrag Djordjevic, Giovanni
>Dislike: Figo,
>
>PPM (Delete what you dont want):
>
>Curls Ball.
>Dictates Tempo(Midfield).
>Gets Crowd Going.
>Gets Forward whenever possible.
>gets into opposition area.
>switch ball to other flank
>one twos
>long shot
>power shot
>stops play
>1st time shots
>tricks
>outside of foot

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:05:32 PM

Nick the Greek wrote:

Done, I assume Crete are the team called OFI in FM?

--
Michael Murray
November 22, 2004 8:00:28 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:55:50 -0000, "Michael Murray"
<NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>First Name: Eirik
>Second Name: Nilsen
>Common Name: Ceo
>Date of Birth: 29.04.73 (may be set to 80 instead to prolong existance)
>Place of Birth: Too small to mention ;)
>Nationality (+EU one): Norway
>Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]):Norwegian 10, English 9
>Squad Number(first come first served):D oesnt Matter
>Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank) 20 -
>first pos.):
>GK:
>SW:
>D:
>DM:
>M:
>AM:
>S:20
>Wing Back:
>FreeRole:9
>Right:8
>Left:7
>Centre:20
>
>Foot(out of 20)
>L:2
>R:20
>
>Favoured Clubs:Liverpool, Hull, Barnet
>Dislike Clubs:Everton, Man Utd, Arsenal
>People Like: (2 at most non AGCM)Ian Rush, John Barnes
>Dislike:Alex Ferguson, Roy Keane
>
>PPM (Delete what you dont want):
>
>Dives into Tackles.
>Gets Forward whenever possible.
>gets into opposition area.
>lop keeper
>beat offside trap
>moves into channels (Striker)
>places shots
>long shot
>power shot

>Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast and
>can cross or slow and strong]:
>Pace: 15
>Stamina: 13
>Positioning: 15
>Finishing: 18
>Strength: 18
>
>If you want to be a non-player position and stats: No thanks :p
>
>Anything I've missed out:

November 22, 2004 8:30:50 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:25:21 -0000, "Michael Murray"
<NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Nick the Greek wrote:
>
>Done, I assume Crete are the team called OFI in FM?

Yes, it's OFI Crete, they're panathinaikos' branch.

-Nick
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:53:38 AM

"Michael Murray" wrote in message

> First Name: Steve
> Second Name: Perrin
> Date of Birth: 15/06/1982
> Place of Birth: Birmingham
> Nationality (+EU one): English/Irish
> Squad Number: 7 / 8 / 10 / 11
> Position:
> M: 10
> AM: 20
> S: 15
> FreeRole: 15
> Right: 16
> Left: 13
> Centre: 20
>
> Foot(out of 20)
> L: 4
> R: 20
>
> Favoured Clubs: WBA, Newcastle, Wycombe
> Dislike Clubs: Wolves, Villa, Crystal Palace
>
> PPM (Delete what you dont want):
> Arrives late in opponents Area.
> Comes Deep To get ball.
> Curls Ball.
> Cuts inside(Winger).
> Does not dive into tackles.
> knocks ball past opponent.
> likes ball at feet
> places shots
> outside of foot
>
> Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be
fast and
> can cross or slow and strong]:
Low tackling, heading
Decent finishing, vision, passing

Cheers,

--
Steve
Anonymous

"Michael Murray" <NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> First Name: Ivan
> Second Name: Minkov
> Common Name:
> Date of Birth: 25.01.76
> Place of Birth: Haskovo
> Nationality (+EU one): Bulgaria/ +Scotland(for EU)
> Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): Bulgarian 10, English 7,
Russian 5, German 1
> Squad Number(first come first served): 9
> Position
> Striker: 20
> Foot(out of 20)
> L:1
> R:20
> PPM (major 'tricks' 1st, minor tricks last):

> winds up opponents.
> power shot
> Avoids using Weaker Foot.
> Does not dive into tackles.

> Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast
and
> can cross or slow and strong]:

jumping 20, heading 15, pace 10, dribble 1, finishing 12, technique 1,
aggression 20, bravery 20, decisions 20, stamina 6
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 4:07:59 AM

jackcake wrote:
> "Michael Murray" wrote in message
>
>> First Name: Steve
>> Second Name: Perrin

Added

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

ceo@isolation.no wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:55:50 -0000, "Michael Murray"
> <NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> First Name: Eirik
>> Second Name: Nilsen

Added

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

GargoyleBG wrote:
> "Michael Murray" <NOtmichaeltmurrayuknospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:30e9flF2sol58U1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>> First Name: Ivan
>> Second Name: Minkov

Added.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

Michael Murray wrote:
> First Name: Dave
> Second Name: Fulton
> Common Name: Hamish
> Date of Birth: 12th April 1971 (make me at least 10 years younger please
:-) )
> Place of Birth: Glasgow, Scotland
> Nationality (+EU one): Scottish ( do I really have to be part of the EU
:-p )
> Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): English 9 Norwegian 1 Greek 1
Croatian 1 Portugese 1 Russian 1 French 2 Italian 2 Danish 1 Swedish 1
> Squad Number(first come first served): 2
> Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave
> blank) 20 - first pos.):
> GK: 0
> SW: 10
> D: 20
> DM: 15 if I must
> M:6
> AM:6
> S:8
> Wing Back: 19
> FreeRole:6
> Right: 20
> Left: 11
> Centre:16
>
> Foot(out of 20)
> L:18
> R:20
>
> Favoured Clubs:Rangers, Newcastle and AGCM
> Dislike Clubs: Celtic
> People Like: (2 at most non AGCM) Brian Laudrup, Terry Butcher
> Dislike: Neil Lennon, Martin O'Neill
>
> PPM (Delete what you dont want):
>
> Comes Deep To get ball.
> Gets Crowd Going.
> Gets Forward whenever possible.
> hugs line(Winger)
> knocks ball past opponent.
> likes ball at feet
> beat offside trap
> no through balls
> one twos
> " " " right
> long range passes
> winds up opponents.

Pacey and hard in the tackle :-)

Cheers

Hamish

--
Go Strugglers

"I never comment on referees, and I'm not going to break the habit of a
lifetime for that prat"
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 11:51:51 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 02:21:48 -0000, "Hamish"
<jocksspam@dsl.pipexDOTcom> wrote:

>Michael Murray wrote:
>> First Name: Dave
>> Second Name: Fulton
>> Common Name: Hamish
>> Date of Birth: 12th April 1971 (make me at least 10 years younger please
>:-) )
>> Place of Birth: Glasgow, Scotland
>> Nationality (+EU one): Scottish ( do I really have to be part of the EU
>:-p )
>> Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): English 9 Norwegian 1 Greek 1
>Croatian 1 Portugese 1 Russian 1 French 2 Italian 2 Danish 1 Swedish 1

Hmmm....

-Nick
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 5:32:24 PM

Hamish wrote:
> Michael Murray wrote:
>> First Name: Dave
>> Second Name: Fulton
>> Common Name: Hamish

Done.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's idea and
slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone wants to change

First Name: Same as Pete's
Second Name: "
Common Name: "
Date of Birth: "
Place of Birth: "
Nationality (+EU one): Australian/English
Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): Default
Squad Number(first come first served): 13
Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank) 20 -
first pos.): Same as Pete's DMC

Foot(out of 20)
L: 20
R: 20

Favoured Clubs: Your club's name
Dislike Clubs: N/A
People Like: Pick 2 from AGCM list
Dislike: N/A

PPM (Delete what you dont want):

Arrives late in opponents Area.
Comes Deep To get ball.
Dictates Tempo(Midfield).
likes ball at feet
pass rather than shoot
one twos
short simple passes
killer balls often
play out of trouble

Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast and
can cross or slow and strong]:
*Cannot head to save my life
*Pass pass and pass/spray it about
*Timed tackles (not that you can edit to simulate that)
*Reads game from the back (not that you can edit that either)
*Switches from defence to attack in a jiffy (not that......)

Anything I've missed out:
Did I mention cannot head?

Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue so they say.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 4:18:09 AM

be free to work out my data, be aware I act like old goldie Bebeto :-)

(sorry for top posting)

"The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> escreveu na
mensagem news:41A370D0.47684A54@netvigator.com...
> I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's idea
> and
> slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone wants to change
>
> First Name: Same as Pete's
> Second Name: "
> Common Name: "
> Date of Birth: "
> Place of Birth: "
> Nationality (+EU one): Australian/English
> Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): Default
> Squad Number(first come first served): 13
> Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank)
> 20 -
> first pos.): Same as Pete's DMC
>
> Foot(out of 20)
> L: 20
> R: 20
>
> Favoured Clubs: Your club's name
> Dislike Clubs: N/A
> People Like: Pick 2 from AGCM list
> Dislike: N/A
>
> PPM (Delete what you dont want):
>
> Arrives late in opponents Area.
> Comes Deep To get ball.
> Dictates Tempo(Midfield).
> likes ball at feet
> pass rather than shoot
> one twos
> short simple passes
> killer balls often
> play out of trouble
>

> Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast
> and
> can cross or slow and strong]:
> *Cannot head to save my life
> *Pass pass and pass/spray it about
> *Timed tackles (not that you can edit to simulate that)
> *Reads game from the back (not that you can edit that either)
> *Switches from defence to attack in a jiffy (not that......)
>
> Anything I've missed out:
> Did I mention cannot head?
>
> Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue so they
> say.

---
November 24, 2004 4:40:59 AM

The Brazilian Man wrote:

> be free to work out my data, be aware I act like old goldie Bebeto :-)
> (sorry for top posting)
>
> "The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> escreveu na
> mensagem news:41A370D0.47684A54@netvigator.com...

I was replying to Michael Murray's post for the AGCM team (another one). Sorry for not including
author attributation.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 4:41:00 AM

"The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> escreveu na
mensagem news:41A3762B.141C5760@netvigator.com...
> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>
>> be free to work out my data, be aware I act like old goldie Bebeto :-)
>> (sorry for top posting)
>>
>> "The Wielder of the Scythe" <scytheNOSPAMWIBBLE@netvigator.com> escreveu
>> na
>> mensagem news:41A370D0.47684A54@netvigator.com...
>
> I was replying to Michael Murray's post for the AGCM team (another one).
> Sorry for not including
> author attributation.

bored man makes mistake, sorry

---
November 24, 2004 12:57:21 PM

Michael Murray wrote:
> I've shamefully decided to steal Pete's, Brazilian Mans and Nick's idea and
> slightly edit our data from Pete's database. So if anyone wants to change
> there details from Pete's database, or weren't in it or dont want to be in
> mine. I'll also take your player preferred moves, and some stats (i.e.
> whether you want to be fast strong etc... not all 20's though).
>
> First things, suggestions for a name and country to play in (Not Italy,
> England or somewhere that requires home nationals).
>
> Team Name:
> Country:
>
> Standard data:
>
> First Name: Toby
> Second Name: Briggs
> Common Name:
> Date of Birth: 13 July 1979
> Place of Birth: Guildford, England
> Nationality (+EU one): ENGLISH
> Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): English 10, French 3, German 2, Latin 1 (amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant)
> Squad Number(first come first served): 25
> Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank) 20 -
> first pos.):
> GK:
> SW:
> D: 20
> DM:
> M:
> AM:
> S:
> Wing Back:
> FreeRole:
> Right: 15
> Left:
> Centre: 20
>
> Foot(out of 20)
> L: 20
> R: 20
>
> Favoured Clubs: Chelsea, Woking, Brighton & Hove Albion
> Dislike Clubs:
> People Like: (2 at most non AGCM) Gianfranco Zola
> Dislike:
>
> PPM (Delete what you dont want):
>
> Does not dive into tackles.
> Gets Crowd Going.
> hits free kcik with power.
> marks tightly
> no through balls
> long shot
> power shot
> stays back always
> long range freekicks
> long range passes
> play out of trouble
> winds up opponents.

Good at - tackling, heading, passing, free-kicks, long-shots,
strength, pace

Hopefully not too late!

Cheers

Tobes
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:06:17 PM

> [...]
> " " " centre
> long shot
> power shot
> stays back always
> stops play
> 1st time shots
> killer balls often
> long range freekicks
> long range passes
> play out of trouble
> tricks
> outside of foot
> winds up opponents.
>
> NOTE: If you pick bad ones, you'll not play as much :-) Explantions are in
> the 36meg pdf that should be in the games install directary though ask if
> you dont know what they mean.
>
> Normal Stats(with rough numbers if you want) [i.e.Do you want to be fast
and
> can cross or slow and strong]:
>
> If you want to be a non-player position and stats:

Can you make sure you get my surname right, if you're using Pete's DB? It's
Parry-Jones, not just Jones...

Ta
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 8:34:03 AM

Tom Parry-Jones wrote:
> [...]
>>Nationality (+EU one): Aus, plus you can put eng
>>Languages (How good 10[home]-0[not a word]): German 4
>>Squad Number(first come first served): 15
>>Position:( out of 20 for each position where 1 - cant play(leave blank)
>
> 20 -
>
>>first pos.):
>>GK:5
>>SW:10
>>D:13
>>DM:16
>>M:20
>>AM:13
>>S:13
>>Wing Back:14
>>FreeRole:10
>>Right:18
>>Left:13
>>Centre:20
>>
>>Foot(out of 20)
>>L:8
>>R:20
>>
>>Favoured Clubs: Leeds, Sydney FC, AGCM
>>Dislike Clubs:
>>People Like: (2 at most non AGCM) Cahill, Max Vieri
>>Dislike:
>>
>>PPM (marked with YES):
>>
>>Arrives late in opponents Area. YES
>>Attempts Overhead Kicks.
>>Avoids using Weaker Foot.
>>Comes Deep To get ball.
>>Curls Ball.
>>Cuts inside(Winger).
>>Dictates Tempo(Midfield).
>>Dives into Tackles.
>>Does not dive into tackles.
>>Dwells on ball (BAD).
>>Gets Crowd Going.
>>Gets Forward whenever possible. YES
>>gets into opposition area. YES
>>hits free kcik with power.
>>hugs line(Winger)
>>knocks ball past opponent. YES
>>likes ball at feet
>>likes to beat man repeatedly
>>lop keeper
>>round keeper YES
>>switch ball to other flank
>>beat offside trap YES YES YES
>>pass rather than shoot
>>marks tightly YES
>>moves ball to left before dribbling.
>>moves ball to right before dribbling
>>moves into channels (Striker) YES
>>places shots YES
>>no through balls
>>one twos
>>short simple passes
>>back to goal
>>dribble down left
>>" " " right YES
>>" " " centre
>>long shot
>>power shot
>>stays back always
>>stops play
>>1st time shots
>>killer balls often YES YES YES
>>long range freekicks
>>long range passes
>>play out of trouble
>>tricks
>>outside of foot
>>winds up opponents. YES ;)
>>
>>NOTE: If you pick bad ones, you'll not play as much :-) Explantions are in
>>the 36meg pdf that should be in the games install directary though ask if

Pace/Accel: 12ish
Jump: 10ish
Heading: 17
Finishing: 18
Passing: 16
Creativity: 16
Influence: 17
Movement/Off the Ball/Positioning: 19
First Touch: 10
Marking: 15
Tackling: 13
Technique: 16
Anticipation: 20
Work Rate: 19
Nat. Fit: 18
Stamina: 18
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:48:01 PM

Toby Briggs wrote:

>> First Name: Toby
>> Second Name: Briggs

> Hopefully not too late!
>
> Cheers
>
> Tobes

Added, no plently of time yet might start over the weekend, depending when
the patch is out.

Michael Murray
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:49:16 PM

Tom Parry-Jones wrote:

> Can you make sure you get my surname right, if you're using Pete's
> DB? It's Parry-Jones, not just Jones...

Done

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

mentalalien wrote:

>>> First Name: Eddy
>>> Second Name: Blaxell

Done.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:

> Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue so
> they say.

Added.
Editing the database is a welcome diversion from trying to get Half-Life 2
installed/working, though I don't recommend trying to run 22 leagues in
FM205 and the editor at the same time nearly killed my computer.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

Michael Murray wrote:
> The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
>

>>Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue so
>>they say.
>

> Added.
> Editing the database is a welcome diversion from trying to get Half-Life 2
> installed/working, though I don't recommend trying to run 22 leagues in
> FM205 and the editor at the same time nearly killed my computer.

For the HL2 fans of you...

Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!

--

I saw six men kicking and punching the mother-in-law. My neighbour
said 'Are you going to help?' I said 'No, Six should be enough.'

Toby Briggs wrote:
> Michael Murray wrote:
>> The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
>>

>>> Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue
>>> so they say.
>>

>> Added.
>> Editing the database is a welcome diversion from trying to get
>> Half-Life 2 installed/working, though I don't recommend trying to
>> run 22 leagues in FM205 and the editor at the same time nearly
>> killed my computer.
>
> For the HL2 fans of you...

> Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!

Those 20,000 people are fools if you own a pirate verison of a game you
don't go and log onto their system (which causes you to lose every other
game you bought from Valve) there are versions out there that bypass steam
and dont even need the internet to work. All their copy protection that has
annoyed many owners didn't take long to crack.

The joys I had trying to install a friends copy on my computer to see if it
would work with my graphics card (due to the fact they refuse to release a
demo and shops refusely to accept returns of PC games):

Have to uninstall programs securerom doesn't (Though had already done this
with FM2005)
Try to install and it comes up with can not find files... (Search of
internet finds that you have to install both Half-life 2 and Counter-strike
just to install Half-life2 otherwise it wont read the dvd) which meant I had
to free up another gig of hard drive space.

After its installed you have to create a steam account, and then get the
files decrypted which takes a long time.

After all that finaly get into the game and it crashed everytime it tried to
save.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

Michael Murray wrote:

> The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> > Good luck with the massive amount of editing. Patience is a virtue so they say.
>
> Added.
> Editing the database is a welcome diversion from trying to get Half-Life 2
> installed/working,

Yet another very satisfied HL2 customer. According to a Valve 'public service announcement', the
average waiting time for authentication takes only 5-10 mins. Surely you can spare 5-10 mins.
After the initial delays in the first couple of weeks, authentication should take much faster.
It's from Valve. It must be correct. Yeah, they are so full of it.

> though I don't recommend trying to run 22 leagues in
> FM205 and the editor at the same time nearly killed my computer.

Naturally, as the editor is so closely tied to the game as well. I yearn for the days when
nygreen had a stand-alone pre-game editor that had a tab function. Chances of that happening I
hope are still there.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:38:33 PM

Toby Briggs wrote:

> For the HL2 fans of you...
> Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!

On paper it does sound good. No one can get away from it. But...but...but, hey there's a crack.
Blocks off the authentication. Plays single player no problems. Later, pirated copies may even
play online. Even the infamous 'FADE' system employed in Operation Flashpoint got bypassed and
so did the one for R3:Raven Shield. Eventually, they will be cracked one way or another.
It may discourage the casual pirates. But for diehards (i.e. the pros), any anti-piracy tech
method used can be re-engineered.
If the Steam system had no problems, no long waiting time, no false alarms etc etc then no one
would complain as much. But that is not going to happen. These copy-prot schemes as always
inconvenience the legit customer more than anyone else.
From the article, if every gaming company does copy the idea, it will be hell. The truth is in
the last two paragraphs. Golden opportunity for more revenue.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:48:48 PM

Michael Murray wrote:

> Toby Briggs wrote:
> > For the HL2 fans of you...
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4041289.stm
> > Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!
>
> Those 20,000 people are fools if you own a pirate verison of a game you
> don't go and log onto their system (which causes you to lose every other
> game you bought from Valve)

Indeed fools. But how many of them are re-loggers? Got a couple of dodgy copies and tried to
authenticate both?

The second part is news to me. Steam checks the registry and deliberately damages other Valve
games? Checks for legitimacy of the games from the win. registry? Impossible. If true, time for
litigation especially when it accidentally disables other software.

> there are versions out there that bypass steam
> and dont even need the internet to work. All their copy protection that has
> annoyed many owners didn't take long to crack.

Pisses off a lot of people when the official word keeps denying there is a problem, lies about
the facts of installation requirements, and being tardy in helping out those who complain. It is
like if you complain, you are 100% a pirate since Steam is sooo perfect.

> Try to install and it comes up with can not find files... (Search of
> internet finds that you have to install both Half-life 2 and Counter-strike
> just to install Half-life2 otherwise it wont read the dvd) which meant I had
> to free up another gig of hard drive space.

Yep. It is a bug (but no bug for the extra $$$ special dvd boxset. Go figure.) though no sign of
an installation patch for it. You just HAVE to love HL2 and really want to play it to install
it. It is a 'social worker' installer - you must really really want to install. It is not a
problem according to the official word. Just install CS:Source and delete it. Since you have
bought HL2, you must be ultra rich and have millions of zillions of gigs of HDD space anyway. No
problem then.

> After its installed you have to create a steam account, and then get the
> files decrypted which takes a long time.

Good luck.

> After all that finaly get into the game and it crashed everytime it tried to save.

Good luck too.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:21:03 PM

The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> Michael Murray wrote:
>
>> Toby Briggs wrote:
>>> For the HL2 fans of you...
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4041289.stm
>>> Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!
>>
>> Those 20,000 people are fools if you own a pirate verison of a game
>> you
>> don't go and log onto their system (which causes you to lose every
>> other
>> game you bought from Valve)
>
> Indeed fools. But how many of them are re-loggers? Got a couple of
> dodgy copies and tried to authenticate both?

One of the early cracks for the game would steal someone else's steam
account which means they have probably disable legit people's accounts, I
think the other people were using different key-codes.

> The second part is news to me. Steam checks the registry and
> deliberately damages other Valve games? Checks for legitimacy of the
> games from the win. registry? Impossible. If true, time for
> litigation especially when it accidentally disables other software.

I was wondering about teh legality of that, but nowadays you dont own games
you just license them. But what they do is when you have installed steam it
scans your hard drive for any games/programs valve have made, and makes it
so you have to play all your valve games through steam - if your account
gets blocked you can not access steam and thus not play the games. Though
you can always reinstall the old games and play them like before.

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> Toby Briggs wrote:
>
>> For the HL2 fans of you...
>> Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!
>
> On paper it does sound good. No one can get away from it.
> But...but...but, hey there's a crack. Blocks off the authentication.
> Plays single player no problems. Later, pirated copies may even play
> online. Even the infamous 'FADE' system employed in Operation
> Flashpoint got bypassed and so did the one for R3:Raven Shield.
> Eventually, they will be cracked one way or another.
> It may discourage the casual pirates. But for diehards (i.e. the
> pros), any anti-piracy tech method used can be re-engineered.
> If the Steam system had no problems, no long waiting time, no false
> alarms etc etc then no one would complain as much. But that is not
> going to happen. These copy-prot schemes as always inconvenience the
> legit customer more than anyone else.
> From the article, if every gaming company does copy the idea, it will
> be hell. The truth is in the last two paragraphs. Golden opportunity
> for more revenue.

All there copy protection has more than likely lost them customers as word
of mouth got around, you can not even sell the game after you have finished
with it as they haven't bothered to do a method to transfer the game details
to a different steam account.

I don't see why companies bother with copy protection it has never worked
and just annoys people who buy the game legaly, I was watching a documentry
about an old computer firm from the 1980's and they were selling tape games
for £2 and were still getting piracy, though I don't know which is the worst
method todays digital methods or the old methods of type the code from the
12 page of the manual, spin the wheel and match the pic on the screen (that
was the worst one because I was using a black & white TV with my amiga as I
was only playing Premier Managerand you could only really tell that one
colour was dark and the other was light)

In a few years time we are going to need a separte program for every piece
of media and game - you have the online music stores that have there own
clients and formats, the movie industry are signing up to p2p software to
transfer movies legally (though most of them are signing up to different
clients) and to top it all off you'll need a client to play each of your
games (which will probably connect to the internet every 5 seconds to make
sure you are not using an illegal verison of the game).

--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

Michael Murray wrote:

> The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> > Toby Briggs wrote:
> >> For the HL2 fans of you...
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4041289.stm
> >> Think they have got a brilliant idea there to stop piracy!
> >
> > On paper it does sound good. No one can get away from it.
>
> All there copy protection has more than likely lost them customers as word
> of mouth got around, you can not even sell the game after you have finished
> with it as they haven't bothered to do a method to transfer the game details
> to a different steam account.

The idea is also to stop mutilple installations of the one copy so there you do. You want to LAN

it up, buy more. Three birds with one stone. Anti-piracy, multi-installs, second-hand copies.
Smack smack smack! How nice!

> In a few years time we are going to need a separte program for every piece
> of media and game - you have the online music stores that have there own
> clients and formats, the movie industry are signing up to p2p software to
> transfer movies legally (though most of them are signing up to different
> clients) and to top it all off you'll need a client to play each of your
> games (which will probably connect to the internet every 5 seconds to make
> sure you are not using an illegal verison of the game).

You know, the thing is, your alarmist view (which I share) of every piece of entertainment
software getting impossible constraints is not too far off. If they believe they can get away
with it, it is highly possible. It is sort of happening in a way with more passive schemes.
Music CDs already have it and people still buy them. Region codes on DVDs which serve no purpose

nor benefit to the consumer. Now more and more games are having proprietory authentication
software installed just so you can have the privelege of playing the game you paid hard cash
for. Soon to come, same authentication for console games.

Even when consumers complain, they do not listen. As long as the sales figures show good
numbers, to the industry people, it means their restrictive user conditions must be embraced by
the market and we all love it.

But what can we do? Either we buy their stuff or we don't. There is no groundswell of objection
to their practice. It's not that films, cds and games are so important to life anyway. Luxury
items these. You do not get grassroot groups doing a million man match down the high street in
protest. I think the copy-prot/anti-piracy regiments will most likely get worse than better.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 10:56:54 PM

The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> Michael Murray wrote:
>
>> The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
>>>
>>> On paper it does sound good. No one can get away from it.
>>
>> All there copy protection has more than likely lost them customers
>> as word of mouth got around, you can not even sell the game after
>> you have finished with it as they haven't bothered to do a method to
>> transfer the game details to a different steam account.
>
> The idea is also to stop mutilple installations of the one copy so
> there you do. You want to LAN
>
> it up, buy more. Three birds with one stone. Anti-piracy,
> multi-installs, second-hand copies. Smack smack smack! How nice!
>
>> In a few years time we are going to need a separte program for every
>> piece of media and game - you have the online music stores that have
>> there own clients and formats, the movie industry are signing up to
>> p2p software to transfer movies legally (though most of them are
>> signing up to different clients) and to top it all off you'll need a
>> client to play each of your games (which will probably connect to
>> the internet every 5 seconds to make sure you are not using an
>> illegal verison of the game).
>
> You know, the thing is, your alarmist view (which I share) of every
> piece of entertainment software getting impossible constraints is
> not too far off. If they believe they can get away with it, it is
> highly possible. It is sort of happening in a way with more passive
> schemes. Music CDs already have it and people still buy them. Region
> codes on DVDs which serve no purpose
>
> nor benefit to the consumer. Now more and more games are having
> proprietory authentication software installed just so you can have
> the privelege of playing the game you paid hard cash for. Soon to
> come, same authentication for console games.
>
> Even when consumers complain, they do not listen. As long as the
> sales figures show good numbers, to the industry people, it means
> their restrictive user conditions must be embraced by the market and
> we all love it.
>
> But what can we do? Either we buy their stuff or we don't. There is
> no groundswell of objection to their practice. It's not that films,
> cds and games are so important to life anyway. Luxury items these.
> You do not get grassroot groups doing a million man match down the
> high street in protest. I think the copy-prot/anti-piracy regiments
> will most likely get worse than better.

The worst thing is is that the copy protection doesn't work - Legal users of
Half-Life 2 have to jump through layers and layers of copy protection, while
all an illegal user has to do is download a few gig file for free from the
internet.

Its about time the games/movie/music industry gave up trying to combat
piracy if someone wants something for free they will get it, I wonder how
much money has been spent failing to stop piracy, there is no conclusive
proof that piracy hurts the companies who moan about it:

Spiderman2 had a big publicity thing to stop people downloading/riping it -
it actually made a lot of money and is one of the (~top 20) all time
grossing movies, though Kirsten Dunst did get herself to into a bit of
trouble from her bosses when she said piracy wont hurt the sells of movies.

The Music industry keep on going on abut how downloading of music is making
them go bankrupt, when the BPI this week released figures saying CD (single
and Album) sales are going up, 237million albums were sold in the UK this
year the thing which is hurting single sales is the price of albums £9 for
an album or £3 for a single, didn't help there cause when they refused to
allow CD-Wow and Play.com to sell the same thing imported from Asia for
about £6.

Now the TV industry has got involved, the Tivo's in America are being
changed so you can only burn a TV show once, other than that one time it has
to stay on your Tivi, they are also trying to make it illegal to fast
forward through adverts. The makers of Battlestar Galactica asked a few
weeks ago Americans to stop downloading episodes shown on UK TV as they will
affect the american ratings, even though America don't get it until January,
with them assuming that everyone who downloads it will not watch it on TV.

I think Warner Bros. had the right idea a few years ago when they decided
not to put marcovision protection on the Harry Potter dvds as it wasn;t
worth the cost.

If they want copy-protection to work they should make it quick and simple
or just encourge people to buy it legally, the old warnings about copied
material are usless today - copies don't contain viruses, are sometimes
superior (no protection and sometimes include patches), also a recent
christmas warning about piracy I read said to look out for unboxed or no
manual software, so from their reasoning retail versions of Half-Life 2 and
Windows XP must be illegal as they contain no manuals.

(Though at least the Half-Life protection puts the Football Manager problems
into perspective.)
--
Michael Murray
Anonymous

Michael Murray wrote:

> Now the TV industry has got involved, the Tivo's in America are being
> changed so you can only burn a TV show once, other than that one time it has
> to stay on your Tivi, they are also trying to make it illegal to fast
> forward through adverts.

A certain Mr. Jack Valenti again. Go to the toilet at the adverts and you are a thief stealing
the saintly networks' products. You MUST watch the adverts, you thiefing riff-raffs.

> I think Warner Bros. had the right idea a few years ago when they decided
> not to put marcovision protection on the Harry Potter dvds as it wasn;t
> worth the cost.

I did not know that. No macrovision in a major studio release. That is a turn-up. I am sceptical
as to the reason why they reached that decision. Do not think they are thinking of the customers
who could not play a macro-ed dvd on their player.

> (Though at least the Half-Life protection puts the Football Manager problems
> into perspective.)

Segued back to CM/FM.
True. Compared to Steam, the cd check of CM (not sure about FM) is neanderthal.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:31:22 PM

The Wielder of the Scythe wrote:
> Michael Murray wrote:
>
>> I think Warner Bros. had the right idea a few years ago when they
>> decided not to put marcovision protection on the Harry Potter dvds
>> as it wasn;t worth the cost.
>
> I did not know that. No macrovision in a major studio release. That
> is a turn-up. I am sceptical as to the reason why they reached that
> decision. Do not think they are thinking of the customers who could
> not play a macro-ed dvd on their player.

I think it was because macrovision protection costs about £1 a dvd, and with
the amount they expected to sell they didn't it was worth it.

--
Michael Murray
!