What Am I Doing Wrong -- Dell Drivers

Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is being
run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I have
the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can not
access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site and
downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
11 answers Last reply
More about what wrong dell drivers

    "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    > Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
    > being
    > run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I
    > have
    > the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can
    > not
    > access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
    > and
    > downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
    > through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
    > "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    default driver for what? monitor or video card?

    "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    | Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
    being
    | run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen. I
    have
    | the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I can
    not
    | access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
    and
    | downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
    | through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
    | "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA display
    driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve the
    problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.

    If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display adapter
    which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers for
    this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
    then install all other required drivers including the video graphics adaptor
    driver
    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    message news:XuvBd.45542$mA3.9346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    > | Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
    > being
    > | run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen.
    > have
    > | the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I
    > can
    > not
    > | access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
    > and
    > | downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
    > | through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
    > | "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >
    > My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA display
    > driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve the
    > problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.
    >
    > If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display adapter
    > which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.
    >
    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset drivers
    are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be installed after
    Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:37:43 -0000, "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers for
    >this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
    >then install all other required drivers including the video graphics adaptor
    >driver
    >"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    >message news:XuvBd.45542$mA3.9346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    >> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    >> | Had to do a clean install of XP. As a result, the flat screen monitor is
    >> being
    >> | run by the "default" driver, making the images to large for the screen.
    >> have
    >> | the disk marked E172FP, and although it states drivers are included, I
    >> can
    >> not
    >> | access them. I have gone to both Dell.com and a third party driver site
    >> and
    >> | downloaded this driver. Both are in the "dell drivers" folder, but going
    >> | through the control panels, the only choice I still have is the default.
    >> | "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
    >>
    >> My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA display
    >> driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve the
    >> problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.
    >>
    >> If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display adapter
    >> which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.
    >> --
    >>
    >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >> I was just trying to help.
    >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >> advice herein.
    >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >> Your mileage may vary.
    >> See store for details. :)
    >>
    >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

    how do you know if they are part of the Windows install or not? won't xp
    identify and install software for just about all of the chipsets out there?

    > As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset
    drivers
    > are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be installed
    after
    > Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:37:43 -0000, "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk>
    wrote:

    > >Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers
    for
    > >this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
    > >then install all other required drivers including the video graphics
    adaptor
    > >driver
    > >"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    > >message news:XuvBd.45542$mA3.9346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    > >> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    > >> being
    > >> have
    > >> can
    > >> not
    > >> and
    JLP20

    > >> My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA
    display
    > >> driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve
    the
    > >> problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.
    > >>
    > >> If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display
    adapter
    > >> which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > >> I was just trying to help.
    > >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
    or
    > >> advice herein.
    > >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > >> Your mileage may vary.
    > >> See store for details. :)
    > >>
    > >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

    I thought thats what I'd said???
    > As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset
    > drivers
    > are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be installed
    > after
    > Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:37:43 -0000, "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers
    >>for
    >>this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
    >>then install all other required drivers including the video graphics
    >>adaptor
    >>driver
    >>"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    >>message news:XuvBd.45542$mA3.9346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    >>> "JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
    >>> is
    >>> being
    >>> screen.
    >>> I
    >>> have
    >>> can
    >>> not
    >>> site
    >>> and
    >>> going
    >>> default.
    >>> JLP20
    >>>
    >>> My feeling is that you mean your display is running a standard VGA
    >>> display
    >>> driver at a resolution of 640 * 480 and that you have tried to resolve
    >>> the
    >>> problem by installing the "driver" for your flat panel display.
    >>>
    >>> If that's correct, you need to install the driver for your display
    >>> adapter
    >>> which will be on the resource CD that came with the computer.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >>> I was just trying to help.
    >>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >>> advice herein.
    >>> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >>> Your mileage may vary.
    >>> See store for details. :)
    >>>
    >>> Remove shoes to E-mail.

    No.

    "SlickestWilly" <WillyBoy@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > how do you know if they are part of the Windows install or not? won't xp
    > identify and install software for just about all of the chipsets out
    > there?
    >
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset
    > drivers
    >> are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be
    >> installed
    > after
    >> Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers

    Neither XP nor any other version of Windows can be depended upon to install
    motherboard chipset drivers. The least popular chipsets are dropped from the
    Windows CD. To put it more aptly, the major chipset manufacturers (not just
    IDE/ATAPI controllers, but also video, audio, network, modem, printers,
    scanners, etc) pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of having drivers on a CD with
    limited capacity. You see, Micro$oft collects $$$ from everyone. Bill Gates
    will let you whitewash his fence for a fee, too. Some of the XP drivers, like
    Linux did previously, are generalized enough to work at least minimally with any
    chipset.

    Earlier versions of Windows, notably 95 and 98, have even more dire consequences
    if the IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are not installed. Very simply, the CD-ROM
    drive becomes inaccessable, and one has to resort to using DOS mode CD-ROM
    drivers temporarily to load up any drivers from CDs.

    After installing Windows, XP or any other, look at the list of hardware
    installed in the Device Manager. If there are yellow exclamation points,
    something is not installed. If the IDE disk controller is shown as something
    generic like "IDE Controller", chances are the chipset drivers are missing.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:05:42 -0500, "SlickestWilly" <WillyBoy@nothere.com> wrote:

    >how do you know if they are part of the Windows install or not? won't xp
    >identify and install software for just about all of the chipsets out there?

    >> As a general rule for any Windows machine, if the motherboard chipset
    >drivers
    >> are not part of the Windows install CD, they are the FIRST to be installed
    >after
    >> Windows itself is installed booted up and running... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:37:43 -0000, "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hang on before you do anything else you must install the chipset drivers
    >for
    >> >this machine, that are on your resource CD, then reboot the machines and
    >> >then install all other required drivers including the video graphics
    >adaptor
    >> >driver
    >> >"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    >> >message news:XuvBd.45542$mA3.9346@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    >is
    >screen.
    >site
    >going
    >default.
    >JLP20

    >display
    >the

    >adapter

    >or

    Ben you bring up something that I wondered about too with the yellow
    exclamation marks. On my Dell 8300, I've noticed that the driver for my PCI
    Controller has a yellow exclamation mark next to it, but the Dell Resource
    Disk doesn't have the drivers it seems to need since I have tried to install
    them from there. Would the Windows XP disc have the drivers, since I didn't
    think of trying to install from there?

    Ron

    > Neither XP nor any other version of Windows can be depended upon to
    install
    > motherboard chipset drivers. The least popular chipsets are dropped from
    the
    > Windows CD. To put it more aptly, the major chipset manufacturers (not
    just
    > IDE/ATAPI controllers, but also video, audio, network, modem, printers,
    > scanners, etc) pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of having drivers on a CD
    with
    > limited capacity. You see, Micro$oft collects $$$ from everyone. Bill
    Gates
    > will let you whitewash his fence for a fee, too. Some of the XP drivers,
    like
    > Linux did previously, are generalized enough to work at least minimally
    with any
    > chipset.
    >
    > Earlier versions of Windows, notably 95 and 98, have even more dire
    consequences
    > if the IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are not installed. Very simply, the
    CD-ROM
    > drive becomes inaccessable, and one has to resort to using DOS mode CD-ROM
    > drivers temporarily to load up any drivers from CDs.
    >
    > After installing Windows, XP or any other, look at the list of hardware
    > installed in the Device Manager. If there are yellow exclamation points,
    > something is not installed. If the IDE disk controller is shown as
    something
    > generic like "IDE Controller", chances are the chipset drivers are
    missing.

    > ... Ben Myers

    Those ARE the chipset drivers. They'll say something like Intel Chipset
    drivers on the resource CD.

    Tom
    "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Ben you bring up something that I wondered about too with the yellow
    > exclamation marks. On my Dell 8300, I've noticed that the driver for my
    > PCI
    > Controller has a yellow exclamation mark next to it, but the Dell Resource
    > Disk doesn't have the drivers it seems to need since I have tried to
    > install
    > them from there. Would the Windows XP disc have the drivers, since I
    > didn't
    > think of trying to install from there?
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> Neither XP nor any other version of Windows can be depended upon to
    > install
    >> motherboard chipset drivers. The least popular chipsets are dropped from
    > the
    >> Windows CD. To put it more aptly, the major chipset manufacturers (not
    > just
    >> IDE/ATAPI controllers, but also video, audio, network, modem, printers,
    >> scanners, etc) pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of having drivers on a
    >> CD
    > with
    >> limited capacity. You see, Micro$oft collects $$$ from everyone. Bill
    > Gates
    >> will let you whitewash his fence for a fee, too. Some of the XP drivers,
    > like
    >> Linux did previously, are generalized enough to work at least minimally
    > with any
    >> chipset.
    >>
    >> Earlier versions of Windows, notably 95 and 98, have even more dire
    > consequences
    >> if the IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are not installed. Very simply, the
    > CD-ROM
    >> drive becomes inaccessable, and one has to resort to using DOS mode
    >> CD-ROM
    >> drivers temporarily to load up any drivers from CDs.
    >>
    >> After installing Windows, XP or any other, look at the list of hardware
    >> installed in the Device Manager. If there are yellow exclamation points,
    >> something is not installed. If the IDE disk controller is shown as
    > something
    >> generic like "IDE Controller", chances are the chipset drivers are
    > missing.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers

    Ron,

    I forget, or maybe I never knoew, but I think that the 8300 has an Intel 850
    chipset. RAMBUS, right? If so, then it's the 850, for which drivers can be
    downloaded from the Intel web site. Just pick the motherboard drivers for any
    850 chipset board there, download, save on the hard drive, and install.

    Instead, if the chipset is the newer 865 or 875, the drivers definitely are NOT
    on the Windows XP CD, which was produced before the 865 and 875 chipsets were
    even announced. (There is some possibility that a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD might
    have 865 and 875 drivers. Haven't had the time to check.) Same solution.
    Intel web site. Drivers for any 865 or 875 motherboard.

    Nobody, not even Dell, has either the clout with Intel (or the board fabs that
    pump out Intel chipset boards) nor the total stupidity to demand special
    versions of chipsets any more. All Intel chipset boards can use the appropriate
    drivers from the Intel web site.

    As a generalization, if a board shipped after a release of Windows shipped, the
    drivers for that board are extremely unlikely to turn up on the Windows CD for
    that release. Same holds true for Linux, BTW. Makes sense when you think
    about it.

    Now I'm giving away all my secrets of how to set up a motherboard when one does
    not have all the driver CDs... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:46:02 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Ben you bring up something that I wondered about too with the yellow
    >exclamation marks. On my Dell 8300, I've noticed that the driver for my PCI
    >Controller has a yellow exclamation mark next to it, but the Dell Resource
    >Disk doesn't have the drivers it seems to need since I have tried to install
    >them from there. Would the Windows XP disc have the drivers, since I didn't
    >think of trying to install from there?
    >
    >Ron

    >> Neither XP nor any other version of Windows can be depended upon to
    >install
    >> motherboard chipset drivers. The least popular chipsets are dropped from
    >the
    >> Windows CD. To put it more aptly, the major chipset manufacturers (not
    >just
    >> IDE/ATAPI controllers, but also video, audio, network, modem, printers,
    >> scanners, etc) pay Microsoft for the "privilege" of having drivers on a CD
    >with
    >> limited capacity. You see, Micro$oft collects $$$ from everyone. Bill
    >Gates
    >> will let you whitewash his fence for a fee, too. Some of the XP drivers,
    >like
    >> Linux did previously, are generalized enough to work at least minimally
    >with any
    >> chipset.
    >>
    >> Earlier versions of Windows, notably 95 and 98, have even more dire
    >consequences
    >> if the IDE/ATAPI controller drivers are not installed. Very simply, the
    >CD-ROM
    >> drive becomes inaccessable, and one has to resort to using DOS mode CD-ROM
    >> drivers temporarily to load up any drivers from CDs.
    >>
    >> After installing Windows, XP or any other, look at the list of hardware
    >> installed in the Device Manager. If there are yellow exclamation points,
    >> something is not installed. If the IDE disk controller is shown as
    >something
    >> generic like "IDE Controller", chances are the chipset drivers are
    >missing.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers

Dell Default Drivers Clean Install Computers