Skyreach Manta and Call of the Wild

Hi. I don't really play Magic competitively, but I was playing recently
and found myself in a weird situation.

I had Call of the Wild out (enchantment, tap 2G+2 and look at your next
card. If the next card is a monster, bring it into play immediately,
otherwise discard it)

At any rate, Call of the Wild managed to summon a Skyreach Manta (flying
artifact creature, n/n where n is the number of mana types used to summon
the monster).

In this case, I did not summon the monster: it just came out by itself.
What should its power be?

I wound up using the distribution of the mana tapped to use the Call of
the Wild ability (in this case, 2/2). However, there have to be cases where
even this rule wouldn't work. There has got to be a card along the lines of
"0: sacrifice this creature or remove some counter to bring some other
creature from the graveyard back into play". Surely you can't have the
monster out with 0/0. I'm thinking of a variation of Soul Exchange (2B:
sacrifice creature and bring back a creature from the graveyard).

Using the "mana tapped to invoke the ability that brings out the monster"
rule could involve some interesting decisions when you have a Call of the
Wild and Skyreach Manta in a multicolor deck. Suppose you have a Healing
Salve in your hand and on the table you've got four green lands and a white
land. You can use four green lands and bring out the Skyreach Manta at 1/1.
However, you can risk someone Lightning Bolting your monster by using your
white and having the monster come out stronger.

Thanks in advance,

ACG

"Andrew Goldish" <acgoldis@theworld.com> writes:
> Hi. I don't really play Magic competitively, but I was playing recently
> and found myself in a weird situation.
>
> I had Call of the Wild out (enchantment, tap 2G+2 and look at your next
> card. If the next card is a monster, bring it into play immediately,
> otherwise discard it)
>
> At any rate, Call of the Wild managed to summon a Skyreach Manta (flying
> artifact creature, n/n where n is the number of mana types used to summon
> the monster).
>
> In this case, I did not summon the monster: it just came out by itself.
> What should its power be?

0. Let's take a look at the real rules for sunburst:

,----[ Magic Comp. Rules <http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules> ]
| 502.37a Sunburst is a static ability that functions as a spell is
| resolving. "Sunburst" means "If this spell is a creature spell, it
| comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana
| used to pay its cost. If this spell is a noncreature spell, it comes
| into play with a charge counter on it for each color of mana used to
| pay its cost."
`----

So, Sunburst only cares about spells resolving, and the mana used to
pay their cost. If a card with Sunburst comes into play any other way,
then Sunburst doesn't do anything.

--
Peter C.
"In the event of a water landing, I have been designed to function as

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Andrew Goldish wrote:

> Hi. I don't really play Magic competitively, but I was playing recently
> and found myself in a weird situation.
>
> I had Call of the Wild out (enchantment, tap 2G+2 and look at your next
> card. If the next card is a monster, bring it into play immediately,
> otherwise discard it)
>
> At any rate, Call of the Wild managed to summon a Skyreach Manta (flying
> artifact creature, n/n where n is the number of mana types used to summon
> the monster).

No, Skyreach Manta isn't n/n, it's 0/0. It just has a built in ability
to let it come into play with some +1/+1 counters if you played it
paying with colored mana.

> In this case, I did not summon the monster: it just came out by itself.
> What should its power be?

So it doesn't get any +1/+1 counters and its p/t will be 0/0.

> Surely you can't have the monster out with 0/0.

That's exactly what will happen. But before you'll get priority it
will be placed into the graveyard (as state-based effect) for having a
toughness of zero or less.

--
David

Andrew Goldish <acgoldis@theworld.com> wrote:
> I had Call of the Wild out (enchantment, tap 2G+2 and look at your next
>card. If the next card is a monster, bring it into play immediately,
>otherwise discard it)

Mmm... monnnnster. I summon... ORACLE!

Call of the Wild 2GG Enchantment
2GG: Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put it into
play. Otherwise, put it into your graveyard.

"2G+2" totals five mana, normally; two generic, one green, two more generic.

> At any rate, Call of the Wild managed to summon a Skyreach Manta (flying
>artifact creature, n/n where n is the number of mana types used to summon
>the monster).

Skyreach Manta 5 Artifact Creature
0/0 Sunburst (This comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color
of mana used to pay its cost.), Flying

> In this case, I did not summon the monster: it just came out by itself.
>What should its power be?

0/0, as noted on the card. Did you pay its mana cost? No, because you didn't
cast it as a spell, it got put straight into play from somewhere else by
something. So you paid no mana towards its mana cost, so it gets no +1/+1
counters. Oops, dead Manta (usually).

> I wound up using the distribution of the mana tapped to use the Call of
>the Wild ability (in this case, 2/2).

Nope. That was NOT mana used to pay _the cost of the Manta_. That was mana
used to pay for the activation cost of the _enchantment's ability_.

>Surely you can't have the monster out with 0/0.

Surely you can, and if that happens it dies right afterwards - is put into
owner's graveyard and can't be regenerated - as a state-based effect. It comes
into play, then leaves play, before ANYTHING new can be done.

> Using the "mana tapped to invoke the ability that brings out the monster"
>rule

....which, alas, does not appear anywhere in the actual rulebook.

Dave