Notebook won't startup. have floppy OR CD, not both together

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
disks which get me into Recovery console.

I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.

The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....

My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
command wont run although it is listed by HELP.

I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
console would probably get be out of this problem.

Thanks

phil

bar

What error messages do you get, or what exactly happens when you try to boo
up Windows Xp?

The use of recovery console will not assist you unless you know exactly what
your problem is and how to complete a 'repar'.

In the event that you don't know what is wrong, you might try using the XP
installation CD and perform a repair installation, if you donb't know what's
causing your errors, it will reinstate the XP environment without affecting
applications and user created files and settings.

"Phil Addison" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
> It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
> disks which get me into Recovery console.
>
> I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
> the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
> have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
> another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
> connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
>
> The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
> ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
> it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
>
> My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
> doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
> command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
>
> I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
> console would probably get be out of this problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> phil

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:27:04 -0800, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support BAR
<BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What error messages do you get, or what exactly happens when you try to boo
> up Windows Xp?

Sorry, it is XP Pro, not Home. Also FS is NTFS, so I can't look at it
with the tools I am used to, i.e. Win9x startup disk.

I am also now able to boot from the XP CD into 'setup' (having changed
cmos settings) which gives me the options: Install/Repair Console/Quit.
No 'repair installation' however.

From power up I can get the boot menu with Safe, Safe+network, Safe+
command prompt, last known good configuration, and start windows
normally.

Choosing 'start windows normally' produces:
XP splash screen for a few seconds then a blank screen for about 5
minutes during which the HDD is making repetitive sounds. That ends with
a blue screen saying:
"STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error
Beginning dump of physical emory
Dumping physical emory to disk: nn" (where nn counts up).
After some 10s of seconds the machine reboots.

Trying safe mode I get:
XP splash screen for a few seconds then a list of drivers being loaded.
The last few in the list are
multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ACPI.sys,
WMILIB, pci, isapnp, compbatt, BATTC, intelide, PCIIDEX, pcmcia,
MountMgr, ftdisk, PartMgr, VolSnap, atapi, disk, CLASSPNP, sr, KSecDD
Ntfs, NDIS, Mup, agp440.sys. They are all ".sys", and it does not go
beyond agp440.sys.

At this point the disk is repetitively cycling, and the above list
remains on the screen. After about 3 minutes I get a blue screen saying
"STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Beginning dump of physical emory
Dumping physical emory to disk: nn"
After some 10s of seconds the machine reboots.

All the above messages are exactly as I captured them with my digicam.

> The use of recovery console will not assist you unless you know exactly what
> your problem is and how to complete a 'repar'.

I am pretty experienced with computers - unix, dos, win9x, but have not
tangled with xp or ntfs before. I know how to repair wn9x startup
problems.

> In the event that you don't know what is wrong, you might try using the XP
> installation CD and perform a repair installation, if you donb't know what's
> causing your errors, it will reinstate the XP environment without affecting
> applications and user created files and settings.

I could not see the "repair installation" option, only the Repair
Console, which has me scratching my head because DIR will not work.

Thanks for the advice so far. Will the "repair installation" option show
up if I start the install from CD? I did explore 'install' but it looked
as if it might overwrite my settings, from the dire warnings produced so
I quit out of it.

Phil

> "Phil" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
> > It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
> > disks which get me into Recovery console.
> >
> > I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
> > the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
> > have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
> > another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
> > connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
> >
> > The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
> > ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
> > it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
> >
> > My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
> > doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
> > command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
> >
> > I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
> > console would probably get be out of this problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > phil

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have a got a bit further into this. I found a 'Repair Installation' is
accessed not by the "R" that comes up first from the CD boot (that is
for Recovery Console"), but by a second "R" that comes up after you
select "Instal". See "How to perform an in-place upgrade
(reinstallation, repair installation) of Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

However, I found another article that indicates my problem might be
corrupted registry hives (indeed the error message I quoted below says
as much), see "Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer
continuously restarts" which starts with my "STOP: c0000218" error
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310396

Following this article 310396, which seems to be my exact problem, I can
load the Recovery Console from my XP CD.

PROBLEM... CD and DIR do not work. They both say "The path or file
specified is not valid". Also the article says I should see an
administrator password dialog, but I am getting straight into the
console without seeing that. I currently have a C:\Windows> prompt, but
can't navigate at all.

Any ideas please?

Phil

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:43:46 GMT, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support Phil
<phil_a@bigNOSPAMfoot.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > disks which get me into Recovery console.
> > >
> > > I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
> > > the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
> > > have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
> > > another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
> > > connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
> > >
> > > The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
> > > ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
> > > it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
> > >
> > > My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
> > > doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
> > > command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
> > >
> > > I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
> > > console would probably get be out of this problem.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Please respond in the new thread, with a more accurate title "Recovery
Console - DIR and CD say "The path or file specified is not valid"

Thanks
Phil

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:55:57 GMT, in