Notebook won't startup. have floppy OR CD, not both together

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
disks which get me into Recovery console.

I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.

The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....

My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
command wont run although it is listed by HELP.

I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
console would probably get be out of this problem.

Thanks

phil
4 answers Last reply
More about notebook startup floppy together

    What error messages do you get, or what exactly happens when you try to boo
    up Windows Xp?

    The use of recovery console will not assist you unless you know exactly what
    your problem is and how to complete a 'repar'.

    In the event that you don't know what is wrong, you might try using the XP
    installation CD and perform a repair installation, if you donb't know what's
    causing your errors, it will reinstate the XP environment without affecting
    applications and user created files and settings.

    "Phil Addison" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
    > It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
    > disks which get me into Recovery console.
    >
    > I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
    > the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
    > have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
    > another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
    > connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
    >
    > The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
    > ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
    > it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
    >
    > My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
    > doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
    > command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
    >
    > I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
    > console would probably get be out of this problem.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > phil

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:27:04 -0800, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support BAR
    <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > What error messages do you get, or what exactly happens when you try to boo
    > up Windows Xp?

    Sorry, it is XP Pro, not Home. Also FS is NTFS, so I can't look at it
    with the tools I am used to, i.e. Win9x startup disk.

    I am also now able to boot from the XP CD into 'setup' (having changed
    cmos settings) which gives me the options: Install/Repair Console/Quit.
    No 'repair installation' however.

    From power up I can get the boot menu with Safe, Safe+network, Safe+
    command prompt, last known good configuration, and start windows
    normally.

    Choosing 'start windows normally' produces:
    XP splash screen for a few seconds then a blank screen for about 5
    minutes during which the HDD is making repetitive sounds. That ends with
    a blue screen saying:
    "STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error
    Unknown Hard Error
    Beginning dump of physical emory
    Dumping physical emory to disk: nn" (where nn counts up).
    After some 10s of seconds the machine reboots.

    Trying safe mode I get:
    XP splash screen for a few seconds then a list of drivers being loaded.
    The last few in the list are
    multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ACPI.sys,
    WMILIB, pci, isapnp, compbatt, BATTC, intelide, PCIIDEX, pcmcia,
    MountMgr, ftdisk, PartMgr, VolSnap, atapi, disk, CLASSPNP, sr, KSecDD
    Ntfs, NDIS, Mup, agp440.sys. They are all ".sys", and it does not go
    beyond agp440.sys.

    At this point the disk is repetitively cycling, and the above list
    remains on the screen. After about 3 minutes I get a blue screen saying
    "STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
    or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
    Beginning dump of physical emory
    Dumping physical emory to disk: nn"
    After some 10s of seconds the machine reboots.

    All the above messages are exactly as I captured them with my digicam.

    > The use of recovery console will not assist you unless you know exactly what
    > your problem is and how to complete a 'repar'.

    I am pretty experienced with computers - unix, dos, win9x, but have not
    tangled with xp or ntfs before. I know how to repair wn9x startup
    problems.

    > In the event that you don't know what is wrong, you might try using the XP
    > installation CD and perform a repair installation, if you donb't know what's
    > causing your errors, it will reinstate the XP environment without affecting
    > applications and user created files and settings.

    I could not see the "repair installation" option, only the Repair
    Console, which has me scratching my head because DIR will not work.

    Thanks for the advice so far. Will the "repair installation" option show
    up if I start the install from CD? I did explore 'install' but it looked
    as if it might overwrite my settings, from the dire warnings produced so
    I quit out of it.

    Phil

    > "Phil" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a Dell Latitude CPt C333GT which I am trying to fix for a friend.
    > > It won't boot into its XP Home original edition. I have a set of 6 boot
    > > disks which get me into Recovery console.
    > >
    > > I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
    > > the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
    > > have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
    > > another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
    > > connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
    > >
    > > The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
    > > ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
    > > it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
    > >
    > > My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
    > > doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
    > > command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
    > >
    > > I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
    > > console would probably get be out of this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > phil

    I have a got a bit further into this. I found a 'Repair Installation' is
    accessed not by the "R" that comes up first from the CD boot (that is
    for Recovery Console"), but by a second "R" that comes up after you
    select "Instal". See "How to perform an in-place upgrade
    (reinstallation, repair installation) of Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

    However, I found another article that indicates my problem might be
    corrupted registry hives (indeed the error message I quoted below says
    as much), see "Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer
    continuously restarts" which starts with my "STOP: c0000218" error
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310396

    Following this article 310396, which seems to be my exact problem, I can
    load the Recovery Console from my XP CD.

    PROBLEM... CD and DIR do not work. They both say "The path or file
    specified is not valid". Also the article says I should see an
    administrator password dialog, but I am getting straight into the
    console without seeing that. I currently have a C:\Windows> prompt, but
    can't navigate at all.

    Any ideas please?

    Phil

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:43:46 GMT, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support Phil
    <phil_a@bigNOSPAMfoot.com> wrote:

> [...]
    > > > disks which get me into Recovery console.
    > > >
    > > > I also have the XP Home CD and a CD reader module but cannot use it at
    > > > the same time as the floppy module (haven't got a cable to connect it so
    > > > have to swap modules). I also have a network which I can connect to
    > > > another machine running WinME. I have not actually had that n/w
    > > > connection working yet, because the notebook wont boot.
    > > >
    > > > The notebook gets as far as loading the agp440.sys and then hangs for
    > > > ages and finally says the registry cant read 'security' and is dumping
    > > > it to disk. It then starts the boot over again.....
    > > >
    > > > My problem is that I am not familiar with the rescue console and it
    > > > doesn't behave the same way as previous startup disks. e.g even DIR
    > > > command wont run although it is listed by HELP.
    > > >
    > > > I'm pretty computer savvy so some pointers to help me drive the rescue
    > > > console would probably get be out of this problem.

    Please respond in the new thread, with a more accurate title "Recovery
    Console - DIR and CD say "The path or file specified is not valid"

    Thanks
    Phil

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:55:57 GMT, in

CD-Rom Windows XP