Windows XP SP2 Freeze Up's

March 8, 2005 3:41:05 PM

I don't know if anyone has had this problem before, but i went and installed
windows XP SP2 the other day, i did all the checks (virus, adware, spybot
etc) and defragged the hard drive. SP2 installed fine and i never had any
problems after the first reboot. But when i went to install/play on of my PC
games the computer completly froze up. No error messages nothing it just
froze, CTRL+ALT+DEL would normally solve the problem but the keyboard
wouldn't work and neither would the mouse, in the end i had to press the
reset button on my PC but that just game me a blue screen with an error
message about unmountable drives. In the end i had to format my computer and
reload everything back on again. I want to use SP2 as apparently it will
become mandatory soon for all win xp pc's to have sp2 installed but if this
happens each time then i am screwed. BTW i am running a legit copy of win xp
home so that isn't the issue. But if that isn't what is?

PLEASE HELP!

More about : windows sp2 freeze

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:11:47 AM

No help, the game is incompatible with xpsp2. You don't mention Compatibility Mode, but even with that, not all old software is
going to run on XP. Buy a new game.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Nitrous Oxide" <NitrousOxide@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:484749A4-3AC2-4CA8-BDD8-7941EC1EC463@microsoft.com...
>I don't know if anyone has had this problem before, but i went and installed
> windows XP SP2 the other day, i did all the checks (virus, adware, spybot
> etc) and defragged the hard drive. SP2 installed fine and i never had any
> problems after the first reboot. But when i went to install/play on of my PC
> games the computer completly froze up. No error messages nothing it just
> froze, CTRL+ALT+DEL would normally solve the problem but the keyboard
> wouldn't work and neither would the mouse, in the end i had to press the
> reset button on my PC but that just game me a blue screen with an error
> message about unmountable drives. In the end i had to format my computer and
> reload everything back on again. I want to use SP2 as apparently it will
> become mandatory soon for all win xp pc's to have sp2 installed but if this
> happens each time then i am screwed. BTW i am running a legit copy of win xp
> home so that isn't the issue. But if that isn't what is?
>
> PLEASE HELP!
March 9, 2005 5:17:36 PM

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No help, the game is incompatible with xpsp2. You don't mention
> Compatibility Mode, but even with that, not all old software is going to
> run on XP. Buy a new game.

to the OP, dual booting is the best solution...

-a|ex
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:17:37 PM

It wasn't an old game, it did it once when i was trying to install doom 3 it
let me install discs 1 and 2 and froze on disc 3 and when it did it the other
day i was only trying to load a game of postal 2. I have loads of games and
they all work fine with xp it did it after i put the CD in not when the game
was running, i put the cd in then boom it froze up, no error messages
nothing.

!