Duplicant and Astral Slide

Does the Duplicant retain all of his copied creature types,
toughnesses, and powers when he is in the out of game zone due to the
activation of Astral Slide or does he lose them all? I'm guessing that
he doesn't, but would like to know the rule that covers this.
Is he able to remove another creature from the game upon coming back
into the game at the end of the turn?

Thank-you,
Leon Workman

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com writes:
> Does the Duplicant retain all of his copied creature types,
> toughnesses, and powers when he is in the out of game zone due to the
> activation of Astral Slide or does he lose them all? I'm guessing that
> he doesn't, but would like to know the rule that covers this.

Your guess is correct. When something changes zones, it forgets all
in the Comp. Rules (http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/).

> Is he able to remove another creature from the game upon coming back
> into the game at the end of the turn?

Yes. It's coming into play, so its comes-into-play ability triggers.

--
Peter C.
I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com <leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does the Duplicant retain all of his copied creature types,
>toughnesses, and powers when he is in the out of game zone due to the
>activation of Astral Slide or does he lose them all?

Loses them all. Its ability only works while it is in play; the moment it
leaves play, it loses track of a) what cards it had itself removed from the
game and b) anything it had done while in play previously. (The Astral Slide's
delayed triggered ability keeps track of it and brings it back; the Duplicant
itself is Clueless.)

> I'm guessing that
>he doesn't, but would like to know the rule that covers this.

217.1c An object that moves from one zone to another is treated as a new
object. Effects connected with its previous location will no longer affect it.
There are two exceptions to this rule: Effects that edit the characteristics of
an artifact, creature, or enchantment spell on the stack will continue to apply
to the permanent that spell creates, and abilities that trigger when an object
moves from one zone to another (for example, "When Rancor is put into a
graveyard from play") can find the object in the zone it moved to when the
ability triggered.

Neither of those exceptions apply here.

>Is he able to remove another creature from the game upon coming back
>into the game at the end of the turn?

Oh, certainly; the Duplicant is coming into play (and isn't phasing in), so
any "when ~ comes into play" abilities trigger naturally.

(Note that it leaving play does not "get you back the creature it removed";
it's not a Nightmare-group creature.)

Dave