Stop Error When Launch Recovery Console

I’m running Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 8400 using the NTFS
file format.

I can launch the Recovery Console from the Win XP Pro installation CD and it
works fine. However, when I install the Recovery Console to the hard drive
and launch it from the list of operating systems (where I can select it or
Win XP Pro), it comes up with a stop error (STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF7CAF524,
0XC0000034, 00000000, 0x00000000). I, of course, ran Norton Antivirus,
CHKDSK /f, all of my spyware programs, etc. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

The installation program says the installation was successful. However,
when I went to remove the Recovery Console the two folders that are supposed
to be in the root directory (cmdoms & cmdlr) were non existent. The entry in
the boot.ini which sets the Recovery Console as the second selection in the
list of operating systems was there. I deleted it.

Is my Win XP Pro installation CD corrupt? Is the installation software
corrupt? Is...???
Anyway to fix whatever is wrong?

Oldmountainman

--
oldmountainman

In the root of your system drive you should have:

a file named: cmdldr
a folder named: cmdcons

Within cmdcons you should have:
a bunch of files
a folder named: system32

You are installing the cmdcons from the CD in with Windows up and running,
correct, using the following command line - i.e. start, run:
<CD-DRIVE>:\I386\WINNT32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the version of XP on your harddrive must match the version on your
CD - Service Pack wise - in other words, both must be at the same SP level,
if the hard drive is new, then you'll need to research the web on how to
build a "slipstreamed" CD with the new SP installed.

The boot.ini file should contain an entry similar to this:
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"oldmountainman" <oldmountainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 8400 using the
NTFS
> file format.
>
> I can launch the Recovery Console from the Win XP Pro installation CD and
it
> works fine. However, when I install the Recovery Console to the hard
drive
> and launch it from the list of operating systems (where I can select it or
> Win XP Pro), it comes up with a stop error (STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF7CAF524,
> 0XC0000034, 00000000, 0x00000000). I, of course, ran Norton Antivirus,
> CHKDSK /f, all of my spyware programs, etc. Nothing was out of the
ordinary.

> The installation program says the installation was successful. However,
> when I went to remove the Recovery Console the two folders that are
supposed
> to be in the root directory (cmdoms & cmdlr) were non existent. The entry
in
> the boot.ini which sets the Recovery Console as the second selection in
the
> list of operating systems was there. I deleted it.
>
> Is my Win XP Pro installation CD corrupt? Is the installation software
> corrupt? Is...???
> Anyway to fix whatever is wrong?
>
> Oldmountainman
>

> --
> oldmountainman

Hi Admiral Q,

I have a slipstreamed installation CD which I used to "upgrade" the Win XP
Home Edition that came on my Dell. It worked fine to convert the Home
Edition to the Professional Edition. When I boot from it, the Recovery
Console can be loaded and workd without a hitch.

However, when I install Recovery Console to the hard drive, it's screwed up.
I get the Stop error. Also, cmdcom & cmldr are not in the root directory.
The boot.ini contains the line which creates the option to boot to the
Recovery Console.

I thought: maybe it is because I upgraded the pre-installed Win XP Home
Edition to Win XP Professional with my slipstreamed CD?? I'd still like to
know if it is possible to work around whatever the problem is and get
recovery Console installed.

oldmountainman