New to networking (home)

G

Hello all.

I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. However, I am catching up fast with the vast amount of info here.

I have two computers (both desktops) at home. One is an AMD K6-II 450Mhz with a 2 gig HD, 16MB Nvidia video card, 64MB of RAM. I recently purchased an AMD HP (1.5GHz) PC with a GE Force III 64MB video card, 256MB RAM, 30 Gig HD, etc...the works. Also, I am thinking of buying a laptop for my wife's work.

I am considering networking them but I am not sure what type of network I should set up...peer-to-peer and/or a server based one. Which one should be the main computer?

All I basically want to do is (i) be able to use the internet from any of the three computers, (ii) obviously share files/priters and (iii) be able to play shooter-type games against my friend as well as host games such as Mech Warrior, with other friends joining a game.

Another question is...would it be possible to set up the two desktops via cable while having the laptob be mobile to any corner of the house (being wireless)? Is this combination cost prohibitive or should I do the entire network wireless?

If there are any good "how to set up home network" sites out there I would appreciate some direction.

Sierra

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
for dsl sharing it would be best to get a dsl router, as for the wireless, im sure they make a wireless station that plugs into a switch. or you could just get an all wireless gateway and make the two pcs wireless too.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
A peer network would be fine for your purposes. You don't need to setup a domain (which is a Microsoft client server network) that would be overkill.

A mixed physical/wireless network is perfectly OK. Thats what I have at home. Everything is physical except for hard to reach places, and laptops/PDA's.

AFA how to, the way the 2000 works these days, there's really no need to read up on anything. It pretty much holds your hand through the entire process. Try it out first, then do some reading. This way you'll know what they're referring to in the book.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>