Your question

CPU - 2600 vs 3770; *-k edition

Tags:
  • Virtualization
  • CPUs
  • Business Computing
Last response: in Business Computing
June 28, 2012 11:09:32 PM

i am considering building a system based around an i7, it is meant for home use for running several VMs (~10)

i've read the little information i found on google, but i get the feeling, that at best i could spend a few hours reading technical papers and still have no clue what the real-world difference would be

1) 2600/3770 vs 2600k/3770k
when getting a *-k i would overclock the cpu either
- if it starts bottlenecking the system at 16gb ram
- when upgrading to 32gb ram, where it believe it would start to bottle-neck

the only reason i am considering non-k is because of intel's vt-d, which is not supported by the k models
all i know right now is "it allows pass-through of devices", so to my understanding the vm could make better use of the gpu, etc.

this sounds interesting because i would be running moderately gpu-intense applications

right now however, i have 2 vms active on my i5 750, the cpu load is ~40% while my old gtx260 is maybe utilized to 30% (memory and load), my 10gb ram are currently what prevents me from going higher
as far as graphics are concerned there is no problem

therefore, since my i5 750 can handle 2 vms without vt-d and i don't see nor anticipate any gpu related issues, i'd take a guess and say that it makes more sense to go with a k-model for home use (while vt-d seems to be directed at servers with raid systems etc?)

2) 2600/2600k vs 3770/3770k
the 2600 currently runs 220-250 euro while the 3770 costs 50 euro more

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

this places the 3770k <10% above the 2600k, which i don't think justifies a 20+% price bumb, unless of course when overclocked on these translates into real benefits when using the cpu for virtualization (->question)

another cpu i have considered but decided against would be the 2500k, but the lack of HT (which i assume is a big plus for running vms) and significantly lower benchmark score is off-putting

--

what i'd like to know is if my assumptions were ok or complete bs :) 
i have only been keeping an eye on enthusiast-gamerish or htpc builds and suddenly realize that my knowledge is very limited when it comes to a different sector like virtualization

More about : cpu 2600 3770 edition

June 28, 2012 11:25:19 PM

Personally, I would feel that if you're planning to run VMs on your computer you should go with the non-overclock processors. These CPUs offer so much performance capabilities that overclocking really just isn't going to be beneficial for your specific needs. While I would say to go with the 2600K over the 3770K if you're overclocking (due to the fact Sandy Bridge overclocks better and with cooler temperatures than Ivy Bridge it seems) I just made that point moot as I would again suggest to stick with the non-K versions of these processors.

For running VMs, there's not going to really be any difference that I know of between the two processors or even the newer chipset versus the old. I'd save the money by getting the Sandy Bridge 2600 processor and use the money either for better storage subsystem (hard drives and SSDs) or additional RAM.
June 29, 2012 12:10:23 AM

alright thanks, putting a pin into the 2600 for now then

when i get a vt-d processor like that, do i have to watch out for something else besides buying a vt-d capable motherboard, or are the other features inherent to the processor only
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 12:26:37 AM

Have you thought of going with a Xeon chip for VMs?
June 29, 2012 12:50:47 AM

tbh no :) 

i have taken a quick glance at the price charts and they are out of my budget range, i don't intend on spending more than ~300 euro on the CPU since it is more of a hobby-project

i've taken a look at the E3-1270 now which is priced closely to the 3770 but the minor difference in tdp at this point doesn't seem favorable to me at the price
since i will only be running one unit i am neglecting the electricity bill atm and will put my conscience at ease by getting a solid 80+gold/platinum psu

other than being a better 24/7 server processor because of tdp at this price range it seems the only difference is ecc support (and igp vs the i7) so ima shrugging that one off
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2012 1:18:18 AM

i agree with you, choucove..... hey vevusio! go for the 2600, 3770k has only a minor upgrade...
!