E173FP vs 1704FP

The Dell Desktop 5000 I'm thinking of buying comes with the Value 17" FP
monitor.
Is it worth paying the extra to upgrade to the Ultrasharp 1704FP model?

Thanks,
Mike

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Yes. The DVI interface and better quality panel make it worth the
upgrade. (IMHO, always buy the best monitor you can afford, especially
if you will be spending lots of time in front of it.)

"Tom Almy" <webmaster5@almy.us> wrote in message
> Yes. The DVI interface and better quality panel make it worth the upgrade.
> (IMHO, always buy the best monitor you can afford, especially if you will
> be spending lots of time in front of it.)
>
> Mike Jaye wrote:
>> The Dell Desktop 5000 I'm thinking of buying comes with the Value 17" FP
>> monitor.
>> Is it worth paying the extra to upgrade to the Ultrasharp 1704FP model?

"Yes. The DVI interface and better quality panel make it worth the
upgrade."

I have to disagree. I switched my 1800fp from DVI to analog, and I could not
see any decrease in video quality. If Mike is buying the 5000 and E173fp as
a package, it can be expensive, or not possible, to upgrade the monitor. You
will find the E173fp to be just fine. If for some reason you don't like it,
sell it on eBay, and buy another model from eBay sellers or Dell. But again,
I am prettty sure the E173fp will be plenty good enough.

Yes, definitely upgrade. But if you want to use DVI then you'll need to buy
a card for it as well. The onboard video is analog. But that is something
you can always do later if you don't like the analog output.

The specs on the 1704FPT are far superior to the "value" flat panel line.
Response time 13ms vs. 25ms, contrast ratio 500:1 vs. 400:1, brightness 300
vs. 250, Horizontal viewing angle 140 vs. 70 degrees, Vertical viewing
angle 130 vs. 6 degrees, SXGA vs. XGA.... They aren't even in the same
league IMO.

I've seen the 1704FPTs. They are pretty darn good! You won't be
disappointed.

"Mike Jaye" <mikejaye@csi.com> wrote in message
> The Dell Desktop 5000 I'm thinking of buying comes with the Value 17" FP
> monitor.
> Is it worth paying the extra to upgrade to the Ultrasharp 1704FP model?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> There is a solution!"
>
> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> http://mail.spaminspector.com

I agree upgrade your monitor. Monitors and printers last a long time.