Playing spells before paying the mana

Hello everyone,

I know this is in the comp. rules, but I wanted to know if I can announce a
spell and then pay the mana for it.
I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
Diamond/Wish combo decks. Also, because of stuff like having a Chromatic
Sphere in play.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Gustavo Fischer

Gustavo Fischer wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know this is in the comp. rules, but I wanted to know if I can announce
> a spell and then pay the mana for it.

Well, in fact, that's when you *have* to pay the mana; the rules state
you pay costs after announcing a spell/ability. I suspect the
question you *meant* to ask was, "Can wait until I'm actually paying
the mana to play the mana abilities that will provide that mana?"
And the answer to that question is, "Yes." See section 409.1 of
the Comprehensive Rules for the exact timings of everything that happens
when you play a spell or activated ability.

> I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
> Diamond/Wish combo decks.

Right, and it still works.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

David de Kloet wrote:

>> I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
>> Diamond/Wish combo decks.s
>
> Lion's Eye Diamond has an erratum that prevents this:
>
> Play this ability only any time you could play an instant.

Ah, I had heard of that erratum, but forgot about it (and did not
look up the card). Right, this no longer works, because it's been
defined not to.
--

Chris Mattern wrote:

> Gustavo Fischer wrote:
>

>> I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
>> Diamond/Wish combo decks.
>
> Right, and it still works.

As Dave de Kloet pointed out, it does *not* still work; the basic
mechanic has been left unchanged, but LED itself was changed to
break the combo.

--

Gustavo Fischer <gef@montevideo.com.uy> wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I know this is in the comp. rules, but I wanted to know if I can announce a
>spell and then pay the mana for it.

Yes. More precisely, you do not pay the mana for the mana cost until step
409.1h of announcement, after several other things are done. Mana abilities
are allowed to be played in 409.1g .

You cannot fully announce the spell, then "pay afterwards".

>I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
>Diamond/Wish combo decks. Also, because of stuff like having a Chromatic
>Sphere in play.

You do have to play any mana abilities before paying any of the cost at all,
and note that Lion's Eye Diamond is NOT usable during announcement; it's
only usable "any time you could play an instant", and you can't play one
instant while announcing another one.

Dave

Gustavo Fischer sez:

<<
>Hello everyone,
>
>I know this is in the comp. rules, but I wanted to know if I can announce a
>spell and then pay the mana for it.

Sure.

<<
>I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
>Diamond/Wish combo decks

It used to be, but after the new rules were added, LED was basically the new
Lotus. So they errata'd it to be played as an instant rather than as a mana
ability.

<<
>Also, because of stuff like having a Chromatic
>Sphere in play.

Sure, it's just fine. The main reason they changed LED was because you could
announce a spell, then use LED's ability, discarding the rest of your hand, but
because you'd announced the spell you wanted, you could play it just fine.
Playing it only when you can play an instant closes that loophole, so you can't
play spells from your hand with it (you can't play instants while another
spell's being played).

----
Just say "No" to the draft!

"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Gustavo Fischer <gef@montevideo.com.uy> wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I know this is in the comp. rules, but I wanted to know if I can announce
> >spell and then pay the mana for it.
>
> Yes. More precisely, you do not pay the mana for the mana cost until step
> 409.1h of announcement, after several other things are done. Mana
abilities
> are allowed to be played in 409.1g .
>
> You cannot fully announce the spell, then "pay afterwards".
>
> >I think this is or was legal sometime, because of the Lion´s Eye
> >Diamond/Wish combo decks. Also, because of stuff like having a Chromatic
> >Sphere in play.
>
> You do have to play any mana abilities before paying any of the cost at
all,
> and note that Lion's Eye Diamond is NOT usable during announcement; it's
> only usable "any time you could play an instant", and you can't play one
> instant while announcing another one.
>
> Dave

Thanks to all who answered (and sorry for the wording of the question).

I was not aware of Lion´s Eye Diamond´s errata ( and I just traded for one
:-( ).

Happy New Year!

Gustavo Fischer

Gustavo Fischer <gef@montevideo.com.uy> wrote:
>Thanks to all who answered (and sorry for the wording of the question).
>
>I was not aware of Lion´s Eye Diamond´s errata ( and I just traded for one
>:-( ).

Fair enough. (And yes, this is why Oracle, and gatherer.wizards.com, are
Your Friends.) And yes, without the Errata it was actually Hideously Broken
on a path near to, but not the same direction as, Black Lotus.

Dave