Cage of Hands

Hi,

In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
opponent has a Grinding Station in play.

He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
state-based effects?

Thanks,
-Trevor.

Cage of Hands
2W
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
1W: Return Cage of Hands to its owner's hand.

Grinding Station
2
Artifact
T, Sacrifice an artifact: Target player puts the top three cards of his
or her library into his or her graveyard.
Whenever an artifact comes into play, you may untap Grinding Station.
5 answers Last reply
More about cage hands
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 30 Dec 2004, TJB wrote:

    >In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
    >Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
    >opponent has a Grinding Station in play.
    >
    >He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
    >three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
    >go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
    >state-based effects?
    [snip]

    State-based effects are checked just before any player would gain
    priority. In order to play the Cage's ability to return it to your hand,
    you need priority... ergo... it'll already be in your graveyard.

    Alcore

    --
    Alcore Nilth - The Mad Alchemist of Gevbeck
    alcore@uurth.com

    Sorry but no.

    After he sacrificed the Iron Myr, state base effect kicks in, which put
    your enchantment to the graveyard. (For rule ref. read section 420).

    TJB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
    > Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
    > opponent has a Grinding Station in play.
    >
    > He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
    > three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
    > go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
    > state-based effects?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Trevor.
    >
    > Cage of Hands
    > 2W
    > Enchant Creature
    > Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
    > 1W: Return Cage of Hands to its owner's hand.
    >
    > Grinding Station
    > 2
    > Artifact
    > T, Sacrifice an artifact: Target player puts the top three cards of his
    > or her library into his or her graveyard.
    > Whenever an artifact comes into play, you may untap Grinding Station.

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    TJB wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
    > Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
    > opponent has a Grinding Station in play.
    >
    > He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
    > three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
    > go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
    > state-based effects?

    Goes bye-bye. The Myr is removed as a cost, while he plays the Station's
    activated ability. Once he finishes playing the Station's ability, the
    Cage goes away as a state-based effect before he gets priority again,
    and long before you get priority to try to retrieve the Cage (let alone
    when the Cage's ability would actually resolve). You're really stuck,
    here. Even if you try to retrieve the Cage in response to his playing
    the Station, he can activate the Station in response to retrieving the
    Cage and you *still* lose.

    > Thanks,
    > -Trevor.
    >
    > Cage of Hands
    > 2W
    > Enchant Creature
    > Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
    > 1W: Return Cage of Hands to its owner's hand.
    >
    > Grinding Station
    > 2
    > Artifact
    > T, Sacrifice an artifact: Target player puts the top three cards of his
    > or her library into his or her graveyard.
    > Whenever an artifact comes into play, you may untap Grinding Station.

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 30 Dec 2004 11:58:15 -0800, TJB <kentstr04@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
    >Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
    >opponent has a Grinding Station in play.
    >
    >He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
    >three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
    >go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
    >state-based effects?

    The latter. He has priority at the moment, since he is doing something. (If
    you had priority, he could not announce the Station's ability at all right
    now... but whatever you did that required use of the stack, he could use the
    Station in response to.)

    On announcement, he first puts the ability on the stack, then picks its
    target, then pays its cost; then it's fully played. Since he just put
    an activated ability on the stack, he will get priority next ... but as the
    first and second parts of that, state-based effects will be checked for, then
    triggered abilities will go onto the stack. And the former means the Cage of
    Hands will be gone before -he- can do another thing, let alone you. (You
    have to wait until he has priority and -passes- it, before you get it. So does
    he, when you have it.)

    Dave
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:18:10 -0500, Chris Mattern
    <matternc@comcast.net> wrote:

    >TJB wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In play: I have Cage of Hands in play, enchanting my opponent's Iron
    >> Myr. I also have two untapped plains. In addition to his Myr, my
    >> opponent has a Grinding Station in play.
    >>
    >> He taps his Station and sacrifices the Myr as the cost to mill me
    >> three. Do I have any opportunity to return Cage to my hand? Or does it
    >> go to the graveyard before I have a chance to respond due to
    >> state-based effects?
    >
    >Goes bye-bye. The Myr is removed as a cost, while he plays the Station's
    >activated ability. Once he finishes playing the Station's ability, the
    >Cage goes away as a state-based effect before he gets priority again,
    >and long before you get priority to try to retrieve the Cage (let alone
    >when the Cage's ability would actually resolve). You're really stuck,
    >here. Even if you try to retrieve the Cage in response to his playing
    >the Station, he can activate the Station in response to retrieving the
    >Cage and you *still* lose.

    umm, if you retrieve it in responce to him casting the station then it
    will go back to your hand and then his station will come into play.
    you can't play abilities of artifacts that are still waiting to
    resolve.

    mind you theres not much point in haveing the cage in your hand untill
    you disenchant his station. as he can sac the target of the cage and
    make the cage be counter apon resolution

    >> Thanks,
    >> -Trevor.
    >>
    >> Cage of Hands
    >> 2W
    >> Enchant Creature
    >> Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
    >> 1W: Return Cage of Hands to its owner's hand.
    >>
    >> Grinding Station
    >> 2
    >> Artifact
    >> T, Sacrifice an artifact: Target player puts the top three cards of his
    >> or her library into his or her graveyard.
    >> Whenever an artifact comes into play, you may untap Grinding Station.

Games Video Games