This was going to be Sunscape Battlemage and Food Chain

I wanted to ask if the kicker cost for a creature can be paid with Food
Chain mana.

Food Chain (from Gatherer):

Remove a creature you control from the game: Add X mana of any one color to
your mana pool, where X is the removed creature's converted mana cost plus
one. This mana may be spent only to play creature spells.

Wait.. gatherer says that this mana can be used to play kicker costs. Nice
feature, that.

So I got my answer :)

Thanks anyway, I´m posting this just to let you know. If you´re bored, you
can explain the why...

Gustavo Fischer

"Gustavo Fischer" <gef@montevideo.com.uy> writes:
> I wanted to ask if the kicker cost for a creature can be paid with Food
> Chain mana.
>
> Food Chain (from Gatherer):
> Remove a creature you control from the game: Add X mana of any one color to
> your mana pool, where X is the removed creature's converted mana cost plus
> one. This mana may be spent only to play creature spells.
>
> Wait.. gatherer says that this mana can be used to play kicker costs. Nice
> feature, that.
> So I got my answer :)

Well, er, glad we could help... or something.

> Thanks anyway, I´m posting this just to let you know. If you´re bored, you
> can explain the why...

Well, I guess I must be bored.

When playing a spell, you announce it, and announce which additional
or alternate costs you'll be using (such as Kicker, Buyback,
Flashback, Entwine, or Fist of Suns, among others). You then figure
out how much the cost is going to be, and then you have to pay it. If
you're playing a creature spell, it's still a creature spell even if
you're paying something besides what's exactly in the upper-right, and
you can spend mana from Food Chain on it.

The full chain of events involved in playing something is in the
Comp. Rules section 409.

--
Peter C.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on

Gustavo Fischer <gef@montevideo.com.uy> wrote:
>I wanted to ask if the kicker cost for a creature can be paid with Food
>Chain mana.

Yes.

>Food Chain (from Gatherer):
>
>Remove a creature you control from the game: Add X mana of any one color to
>your mana pool, where X is the removed creature's converted mana cost plus
>one. This mana may be spent only to play creature spells.

Yes. This does not say "may be spent only to pay the mana cost of creature
spells".

Dave

"Peter Cooper Jr." <pete+mtg@cooperjr.name> escribió en el mensaje
> "Gustavo Fischer" <gef@montevideo.com.uy> writes:
> > I wanted to ask if the kicker cost for a creature can be paid with Food
> > Chain mana.
> >
> > Food Chain (from Gatherer):
> > Remove a creature you control from the game: Add X mana of any one color
> > your mana pool, where X is the removed creature's converted mana cost
plus
> > one. This mana may be spent only to play creature spells.
> >
> > Wait.. gatherer says that this mana can be used to play kicker costs.
Nice
> > feature, that.
> > So I got my answer :)
>
> Well, er, glad we could help... or something.
>
> > Thanks anyway, I´m posting this just to let you know. If you´re bored,
you
> > can explain the why...
>
> Well, I guess I must be bored.
>
> When playing a spell, you announce it, and announce which additional
> or alternate costs you'll be using (such as Kicker, Buyback,
> Flashback, Entwine, or Fist of Suns, among others). You then figure
> out how much the cost is going to be, and then you have to pay it. If
> you're playing a creature spell, it's still a creature spell even if
> you're paying something besides what's exactly in the upper-right, and
> you can spend mana from Food Chain on it.
>
> The full chain of events involved in playing something is in the
> Comp. Rules section 409.

Thanks. I´ll have to re-read the Comp. Rules sometime. I last read them
before the 8th edition changes... lots of changes since then (and a bad
memory).

Gustavo Fischer