9500pro + nForce2 - Problem

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I bought a new 9500pro, and installed win xp. It worked fine, I've got 11 588 3d mark's 2001. After 2 weeks games started to freeze, and sometimes I got a blank screen and message on my monitor (LG F9ooP, 19') OUT OF FREQUENCY. I reinstalled windows, but now almost every time I install nForce drivers (soltek frn2-l) I got a very bad display on my monitor (a lot of vertical lines all over the screen). When I disable FAST WRITE in BIOS, display is ok, but I don't have any 3d acceleration any more. If I leave FAST WRITE enabled, then I uninstall GART driver, the display is ok again, but I am missing some drivers for AGP controller...!? if I try to install drivers for 9500pro (catalyst 3.6), my monitor goes in stand by mode every time I start win! I am fighting with this for 2 weeks, and I am very pissed off. Please help somebody. (should I try to install win 98?) My next move is to try 9500pro at my friends computer...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
You got a prob between the MOBO and the AGP. Go ahead and take that card to your buddy's join the give it a whirl. Other than that it fdisk format reinstall, DO DA.... DO DA!! I never had to use the cd to update the nforce drivers for I used windows update to do that. Check also to see if the AGP card is getting enough juice or too much juice. Either way something died in your box.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
How do you know you don't have any 3d acceleration if you turn fast-writes off? Turning fast-writes off dosn't result in a very big performance hit at all (like 1%).

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I know that I do not have 3d acceleration because when I start dxdiagnostics program, I can see a message "AGP texture not supported", and none of tests (ddraw, d3d) won't run.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
eww that sucks.
when you say windows reinstall I hope you dont mean a recovery install over the old one.. if thats the case it would explain why your problem still exists.

if you did, do a fdisk, then do a full format not the quick option in XP.
if it isnt resolved post here again, Im personally interested to see if there are any damning issues when using an ati gfx card and nforce you have.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

drle81

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
yes, every time I format my drive, I use full format (then I go and have a cold shower... :)), and new fresh installaton of win xp, with service pack 1a. I install dx9.0a, and then I install nforce drivers that I downloaded from soltek web site. (i tried with nForce drivers from nvidia web site, but there is no any progress so I continued using soltek nForce drivers) Yesterday I installed win xp again, but didn't had time to install anything else, so I'll leave a message what happened. Later, if there is no change, I will go to my friends cpu, to test the [-peep-] card. I am very confused because sometimes when I install nForce drivers, everything works fine. For a while...

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Have you tried going into your bios and choosing fail safe defaults?
In many cases I've had to do that first then enable performance features one by one.

But I would guess the mobo simply does not like that video card.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500