Man-lands as blockers vs instant removal

My opponent is attacking me with a Jackal Pup and it is now the declare
blockers step of the combat phase. If I activate the ability on my
untapped Ghitu Encampment and make it into a creature, does my opponent
get priority to Shock it before I can declare it as a blocker? How
does the timing work in this situation?
Thanks ahead of time again,
Leon Workman

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com wrote:

> My opponent is attacking me with a Jackal Pup and it is now the declare
> blockers step of the combat phase. If I activate the ability on my
> untapped Ghitu Encampment and make it into a creature, does my opponent
> get priority to Shock it before I can declare it as a blocker? How
> does the timing work in this situation?

At the beginning of your declare blockers phase, you must declare your
blockers. This does not use the stack and you must finish your declaring
your blockers before anybody gets priority to do any effects like animating
your Encampment. That means the declare blockers phase is *too late* to
create blockers; by the time you can do so, your blockers are already
declared. You must create your blockers in the declare attackers phase.

The declare attackers phase works like the declare blockers phase; the
active player declares his attackers (which does not use the stack), and
only after he is done does he get priority. Timing then works as standard.
The player with priority may play a spell (which in the declare attackers
phase would have to be an instant) or effect, or he may pass. If he plays
a spell/effect, he gets priority back once the spell/effect is on the stack,
and state based effects and triggered effects are checked for. If he
passes, the other player gets priority (after SBEs and triggers) and has the
same options. Once both players pass in succession, the spell/effect on top
of the stack resolves and the active player gets priority (after SBEs and
triggers). If the players pass in succession while the stack is empty,
the phase is over and play moves to the declare blockers phase.

So. What does all this mean? Basically it means, your opponent gets to
Shock your animated Encampment before you can declare it as a blocker.
You have priority. You activate the Encampment's ability and then pass.
Your opponent passes. The Encampment's ability resolves and it becomes
a creature. Now as per the rules, the active player, your opponent, gets
priority again. He can use that priority to play a Shock targetting the
Encampment.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com <leonworkman_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>My opponent is attacking me with a Jackal Pup and it is now the declare
>blockers step of the combat phase. If I activate the ability on my
>untapped Ghitu Encampment and make it into a creature, does my opponent
>get priority to Shock it before I can declare it as a blocker? How
>does the timing work in this situation?

Well, first off, if it is already -during- declare-blockers step? It's too late
to declare anything as a blocker. (That is done as this step starts.)

What you want to do is turn the Encampment into a creature during declare-
_attackers_ step; that's after attackers are declared, but before blockers
have been.

However, since no step or phase in which players get priority can _end_ without
both players passing in succession with the stack empty? (Barring Time Stop
intervention of course?) Your opponent will get the chance, after your
land's ability has resolved but before this step can end, to add something to
the stack. Say, a Shock.

So yes, if you turn it into a creature in time to block with it, he will be
able to Shock it before it can block. (And vice versa; since both players have
to pass in succession with the stack empty to end the declare-attackers step,
the timing details only differ a minor amount depending on whose turn it is.)

Dave

Q: Are we not men? A: We are !
> My opponent is attacking me with a Jackal Pup and it is now the declare
> blockers step of the combat phase. If I activate the ability on my
> untapped Ghitu Encampment and make it into a creature, does my opponent
> get priority to Shock it before I can declare it as a blocker?

Whoa, whoah, whoah!

If it's already the declare blockers step, this can't happen in the
first place. At the very beginning of that step, you must declare all
your blockers. That happens all at once and does not use the stack.
*THEN* you get a chance to play spells and abilities. You can animate
the Encampment at that point, but it's too late to declare it as a
blocker.

You want to do this during the declare ATTACKERS step.

> How
> does the timing work in this situation?

Well, with the rather huge proviso above, just like anything else. You
animate the encampment, some time later it becomes a creature, you have
to give your opponent priority at least once after that before the
declare blockers step can begin, he can Shock it just fine at that
point.