Timing Question: Mesmeric Orb/Oath of Druids

Summary of cards involved in my question:

Mesmeric Orb [2, Artifact]
Whenever a permanent becomes untapped, that permanent’s controller
puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Oath of Druids [1G, Enchantment]
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, if that player controls
fewer creatures than any of his or her opponents, the player may
reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she
reveals a creature card. The player puts that card into play and all
other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.

Gaea's Blessing [1G, Sorcery]
Target player shuffles up to three target cards from his or her
graveyard into his or her library.
Draw a card.
When Gaea’s Blessing is put into your graveyard from your library,
shuffle your graveyard into your library.

Game Preserve [2G, Enchantment]
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of
his or her library. If all cards revealed this way are creature cards,
put those cards into play under their owners’ control. (Otherwise, put
them back face-down on top of their owners’ libraries.)

I have a strange reanimator deck that uses Orb/Oath/Blessing, and I
just wanted to know all my options when manipulating my library and
grave.

1) The Orb triggers once for each untap and goes onto the stack in
upkeep since there is no stack in the untap step. Let's say I had 4
tapped permanents, and Gaea's Blessing shows up on the 2nd card. I
shuffle grave into library, and then resume putting cards from library
to grave (2 more). Correct?

2) When dealing with the Oath on the other hand, I reveal cards until
I get a creature. If a Blessing is revealed, I only shuffle grave
into library at the end, and thus all those cards get put back into
library and I have empty grave. Correct?

3) Orb and Oath are in play. I start the upkeep with multple untap
triggers on the stack.

A: Can I add to that stack and activate the Oath (assuming I have less
creatures of course)? Resolving stack first in last out, the Orb
events happen after I deal with the Oath.

B: I also have the choice of letting Orb resolve and then activating
the Oath during upkeep. In this case, the Orb events happen first,
then the Oath.

Bonus Question (I don't use the Game Preserve)
4) Orb and Game Preserve are in play. I have no choice on timing, and
the situation is similar to 3A. Game Preserve trigger goes onto stack
on top of the Orb events and is dealt with first.

Terry Detrie

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:22:48 -0500, Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:
>Summary of cards involved in my question:
>
>Mesmeric Orb [2, Artifact]
>Whenever a permanent becomes untapped, that permanent's controller
>puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Triggers once for each being-untapped permanent; the triggered abilities
go on the stack afterwards (and, if this is untap-step untapping, don't go on
the stack until upkeep starts).

>Oath of Druids [1G, Enchantment]
>At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls
>fewer creatures than any of his or her opponents, the player may
>reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she
>reveals a creature card. The player puts that card into play and all
>other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.

This will go on the stack (if it does) at the same time triggered abilities
from the Orb from the untap step that has just ended do.

>Gaea's Blessing [1G, Sorcery]
>Target player shuffles up to three target cards from his or her
>graveyard into his or her library. Draw a card. / When Gaea's Blessing is put
>into your graveyard from your library, shuffle your graveyard into your
>library.
>Game Preserve [2G, Enchantment]
>At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of
>his or her library. If all cards revealed this way are creature cards,
>put those cards into play under their owners' control. (Otherwise, put
>them back face-down on top of their owners' libraries.)

>I have a strange reanimator deck that uses Orb/Oath/Blessing, and I
>just wanted to know all my options when manipulating my library and grave.

The triggered abilities from: the Orb from untap step; the Oath from start
of upkeep; and the Game Preserve from start of upkeep all go on the stack at
the same time. If they are all controlled by you, you decide their order on
the stack (and thus, in reverse, their resolution order). If the Blessing
gets milled by one of the Orb abilities, or by the Oath ability, it triggers
right then and its triggered ability goes on the stack on top of anything
already there.

>1) The Orb triggers once for each untap and goes onto the stack in
>upkeep since there is no stack in the untap step. Let's say I had 4
>tapped permanents, and Gaea's Blessing shows up on the 2nd card. I
>shuffle grave into library, and then resume putting cards from library
>to grave (2 more). Correct?

Correct. The Orb will have 4 triggered abilities on the stack, one for each
untapped permanent, and if the Blessing triggers on the resolution of the
second, its triggered ability goes on the stack on top of the remaining two.

>2) When dealing with the Oath on the other hand, I reveal cards until
>I get a creature. If a Blessing is revealed, I only shuffle grave
>into library at the end, and thus all those cards get put back into
>library and I have empty grave. Correct?

Correct.

>3) Orb and Oath are in play. I start the upkeep with multple untap
>triggers on the stack.
>
>A: Can I add to that stack and activate the Oath (assuming I have less
>creatures of course)? Resolving stack first in last out, the Orb
>events happen after I deal with the Oath.

If the Oath triggers at all, its triggered ability goes on the stack at the
same time the Orb's all do. If the same player controls both of them, that
plauyer decides the order. (If different players do, use APNAP order.)

>B: I also have the choice of letting Orb resolve and then activating
>the Oath during upkeep. In this case, the Orb events happen first,
>then the Oath.

No, you do not have this choice at all. The Oath triggers _at the beginning
of your upkeep_. It is not an activated ability at all; you do not choose
when it goes onto the stack. The choice you have is how to order it in among
the Orb abilities that are going on the stack at that same time. (And note that
the Oath _might not trigger at all._)

>Bonus Question (I don't use the Game Preserve)
>4) Orb and Game Preserve are in play. I have no choice on timing, and
>the situation is similar to 3A. Game Preserve trigger goes onto stack
>on top of the Orb events and is dealt with first.

Again, both are going onto the stack at the same time, and if you control both
of the sources, you control all the triggered abilities, so may decide their
order on the stack as you choose.

Dave

Q: Are we not men? A: We are Terry Detrie!
> Summary of cards involved in my question:
>
> Mesmeric Orb [2, Artifact]
> Whenever a permanent becomes untapped, that permanent?s controller
> puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
>
> Oath of Druids [1G, Enchantment]
> At the beginning of each player?s upkeep, if that player controls
> fewer creatures than any of his or her opponents, the player may
> reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she
> reveals a creature card. The player puts that card into play and all
> other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.
>
> Gaea's Blessing [1G, Sorcery]
> Target player shuffles up to three target cards from his or her
> graveyard into his or her library.
> Draw a card.
> When Gaea?s Blessing is put into your graveyard from your library,
> shuffle your graveyard into your library.
>
> Game Preserve [2G, Enchantment]
> At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of
> his or her library. If all cards revealed this way are creature cards,
> put those cards into play under their owners? control. (Otherwise, put
> them back face-down on top of their owners? libraries.)
>

> I have a strange reanimator deck that uses Orb/Oath/Blessing, and I
> just wanted to know all my options when manipulating my library and
> grave.
>

> 1) The Orb triggers once for each untap and goes onto the stack in
> upkeep since there is no stack in the untap step. Let's say I had 4
> tapped permanents, and Gaea's Blessing shows up on the 2nd card. I
> shuffle grave into library, and then resume putting cards from library
> to grave (2 more). Correct?

Yes. Each trigger goes on the stack independently and if other things
get put on the stack, as happens in this scenario, they can happen in
between Orb millings.

> 2) When dealing with the Oath on the other hand, I reveal cards until
> I get a creature. If a Blessing is revealed, I only shuffle grave
> into library at the end, and thus all those cards get put back into
> library and I have empty grave. Correct?

Yes, unlike the Orb case, this all happens during the resolution of a
single effect, and so nothing else can go on the stack until the Oath
process is finished.

> 3) Orb and Oath are in play. I start the upkeep with multple untap
> triggers on the stack.

You can tuck the Oath trigger wherever you want among the Orb triggers,
but just remember that your upkeep only begins once, so the Oath only
triggers once. Be careful how you word this when explaining it to an
opponent during a tournament game or other situation where "tight" play
is expected; remember that they'll resolve in the opposite of the order
you stack them up.

> A: Can I add to that stack and activate the Oath (assuming I have less
> creatures of course)? Resolving stack first in last out, the Orb
> events happen after I deal with the Oath.

Nitpick: you never *activate* the Oath; it has no activated abilities.
It has a triggered ability.

Having said that, yes, this is legal...

> B: I also have the choice of letting Orb resolve and then activating
> the Oath during upkeep. In this case, the Orb events happen first,
> then the Oath.

.... and so is this, and you can even tuck the Oath in the middle
somewhere if you really want.

> Bonus Question (I don't use the Game Preserve)
> 4) Orb and Game Preserve are in play. I have no choice on timing, and
> the situation is similar to 3A. Game Preserve trigger goes onto stack
> on top of the Orb events and is dealt with first.

Incorrect. You can put that trigger wherever you like too. (Out of
curiosity, what made you think it worked any differently from Oath?)

Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:

> Summary of cards involved in my question:
>
> Mesmeric Orb [2, Artifact]
> Whenever a permanent becomes untapped, that permanent's controller
> puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
>
> Oath of Druids [1G, Enchantment]
> At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls
> fewer creatures than any of his or her opponents, the player may
> reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she
> reveals a creature card. The player puts that card into play and all
> other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.
>
> Gaea's Blessing [1G, Sorcery]
> Target player shuffles up to three target cards from his or her
> graveyard into his or her library.
> Draw a card.
> When Gaea's Blessing is put into your graveyard from your library,
> shuffle your graveyard into your library.
>
> Game Preserve [2G, Enchantment]
> At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of
> his or her library. If all cards revealed this way are creature cards,
> put those cards into play under their owners' control. (Otherwise, put
> them back face-down on top of their owners' libraries.)
>

> I have a strange reanimator deck that uses Orb/Oath/Blessing, and I
> just wanted to know all my options when manipulating my library and
> grave.
>

> 1) The Orb triggers once for each untap and goes onto the stack in
> upkeep since there is no stack in the untap step. Let's say I had 4
> tapped permanents, and Gaea's Blessing shows up on the 2nd card. I
> shuffle grave into library, and then resume putting cards from library
> to grave (2 more). Correct?

Yes. Also note that responses can be played at any point in this.

> 2) When dealing with the Oath on the other hand, I reveal cards until
> I get a creature. If a Blessing is revealed, I only shuffle grave
> into library at the end, and thus all those cards get put back into
> library and I have empty grave. Correct?

Yes. The triggered ability from Gaea's Blessing doesn't even go on the
stack until you've finished teh Oath of Druids ability.

> 3) Orb and Oath are in play. I start the upkeep with multple untap
> triggers on the stack.
>
> A: Can I add to that stack and activate the Oath (assuming I have less
> creatures of course)? Resolving stack first in last out, the Orb
> events happen after I deal with the Oath.

You can never activate the Oath of Druids. It has no activated ability.

403. Activated Abilities

403.1. An activated ability is written as "[cost]: [effect]." The
activation cost is everything before the colon :)). An ability's
activation cost must be paid by the player who is playing it.

> B: I also have the choice of letting Orb resolve and then activating
> the Oath during upkeep. In this case, the Orb events happen first,
> then the Oath.

The ordering of those triggered abilities is subject to the following
rule:

410.3. If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player
received priority, the abilities controlled by the active player go on
the stack first, in any order he or she chooses, then those controlled
by the opponent go on the stack in any order that opponent chooses. Then
players once again check for and resolve state-based effects until none
are generated, then abilities that triggered during this process go on
the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based effects are
generated and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets
priority.

If you control both the Mesmeric Orb and the Oath of Druids, you get to
decide the order in which their triggered abilities go on the stack, in
either player's turn. If you only control one, its abilit(ies) will go
on the stack first during your turn and last during your opponent's
turn; the one that goes on the stack last will resolve first.

> Bonus Question (I don't use the Game Preserve)
> 4) Orb and Game Preserve are in play. I have no choice on timing, and
> the situation is similar to 3A. Game Preserve trigger goes onto stack
> on top of the Orb events and is dealt with first.

Assuming it's your Mesmeric Orb, you absolutely have a choice on timing.
They go on the stack in any order you choose.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Q: Are we not men? A: We are Jeff Heikkinen!

> > B: I also have the choice of letting Orb resolve and then activating
> > the Oath during upkeep. In this case, the Orb events happen first,
> > then the Oath.
>
> ... and so is this, and you can even tuck the Oath in the middle
> somewhere if you really want.

Clarification: If you mean "can I stack it so the Orb triggers resolve
first?", this is legal. If you mean "Can I wait until after one or more
Orb triggers have resolved before I even put the Oath ability on the
stack", no, you cannot. All these triggers go on the stack at the same
time, in an order of your choosing.