Whee... System suggestions here please

finalfantasydog

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
system specs that actually matter:
Gigabyte socket478 mb(I should probly know which one)
P4 512k cache 2.0 ghz
512 mb ram
18.1 inch lcd(which has the nice viewing resolution limit of the 1200x1040(or the one closest to that; I’m doing this all from my memory)
NO Video card(sold my current one)

As I'm planning to do a full-scale upgrade on my computer again in about 9 months; I now just want a minor update, so I can enjoy my luxuries of gaming in good frame rate viewing positions.

With the amount of money I was willing to spend; I'm currently trying to decide between a fx 5600 256 mb and a 2.6 p4 with ht or just getting a fx 5900 256mb(NVIDIA fanboy). Keep in mind that I’m planning to do a full upgrade in 9 months, so I don't care about future-proofing my computer.

Which circumstance would give me the best frames/purdy graphics for my dollars or if you have better suggestions within the same price range I’m ready to hear

Thanks for you guys always being there for flames and suggestions!

cleeve

Illustrious
First off, if you plan to upgrade your computer in 9 months, you're completely wasting your money on video cards with 256 megs of ram.

Even doom3 doesn't make use of more than 128 MB. the 256 won't show you any difference in performance unless you're running more than 4xAA with unholy resolutions (like 1600*1200)
Which your system is not powerful enough to do, regardless of the video card.

Otherwise, 256 megs will give you absolutely no performance gain over 128 megs, so save your money.

I'd go for the 5600 Ultra rev2. right now if I were you, because if you're going to upgrade in 9 months something cheaper and better will be available.

(actually, I'd go for a Radeon 9700 non-pro in that price range, but you prefer Nvidia over framerates and I can't do anything about that. ;)

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439