Windows explorer quits when trying to open png files

I've been having a big problem lately with opening png image files. The png
files are the only ones that cause Explorer to crash (I don't have a problem
with jpeg, gif, bmp etc). I can't even open up the files in Picture It (or
any other application, for that matter) to try and set a file association,
the application is immediately closed.

I uninstalled Picture It and then re-installed it, I just don't know what
else to do. It seems like the system doesn't recognize the png image files
at all. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows explorer quits open files

    I was able to fix my problem with the assistance or
    http://www.dougknox.com/index.html. I just used the command prompt to change
    the association. Very useful site. Thanks anyway.

    "Marsha" wrote:

    > I've been having a big problem lately with opening png image files. The png
    > files are the only ones that cause Explorer to crash (I don't have a problem
    > with jpeg, gif, bmp etc). I can't even open up the files in Picture It (or
    > any other application, for that matter) to try and set a file association,
    > the application is immediately closed.
    >
    > I uninstalled Picture It and then re-installed it, I just don't know what
    > else to do. It seems like the system doesn't recognize the png image files
    > at all. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows Explorer Windows XP