Deck changes

Hello,

During a sealed tournament, is a player allowed to change their decks with
the cards that they have received?

For instance, may a player change his or her deck during a pre-release or a
booster draft, with the cards that they have received, during/between
rounds?

( I don't mean during a match(except for sideboarding))

Thank you
Jonathan
3 answers Last reply
More about deck changes
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    "Jonathan Fourie" <jonathan@jonREMOVEathan.za.net> writes:
    > During a sealed tournament, is a player allowed to change their
    > decks with the cards that they have received?
    >
    > For instance, may a player change his or her deck during a
    > pre-release or a booster draft, with the cards that they have
    > received, during/between rounds?

    The by-the-book answer is no. What you designate as your deck during
    deck construction must be what you play with for game 1 of each match.

    However, in tournaments that don't have deck registration (such as
    pre-releases around here, anyway), my experience is that since the
    judges know that they have no way to enforce it, they allow deck
    changes between matches.

    The Penalty Guidelines entry for "Procedural Error -- Failure to
    Desideboard" says in part, "Tournaments that do not use decklists
    should not use this offense unless some method of registering
    sideboards is used." I personally understand this to mean that
    changing your deck is still wrong and shouldn't be done even if
    decklists aren't being used, but penalties shouldn't be assessed for
    it if it happens since there's no way to track it reliably without
    deck registration. That's just my understanding, though, and not an
    official answer of any kind.

    --
    Peter C.
    "Timeline? This is no time to talk about time. We don't have the time!"

    Jonathan Fourie <jonathan@jonREMOVEathan.za.net> wrote:
    >During a sealed tournament, is a player allowed to change their decks with
    >the cards that they have received?

    In between duels in a match, sure. Between matches, no.

    >For instance, may a player change his or her deck during a pre-release or a
    >booster draft, with the cards that they have received, during/between
    >rounds?

    During a round, sure; that's just normal sideboarding, and since this is a
    sealed-deck (Limited) tournament, your sideboard is 'all the cards you received
    that are not currently in your deck' AND you need not swap them out one for
    one.

    Between rounds, no; the player MUST reset their deck to its originally-
    constructed state ("de-sideboard") before each new match. How you build your
    deck at the start of the tournament is how it must look for each new opponent;
    you can't, partway through, realize "Doh, this doesn't work like I thought it
    did" and then re-set your original configuration to be better.

    You're free to sideboard _after_ game 1 of each match, but never _before_
    game 1.

    Dave
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Q: Are we not men? A: We are Jonathan Fourie!
    > Hello,
    >
    > During a sealed tournament, is a player allowed to change their decks with
    > the cards that they have received?
    >
    > For instance, may a player change his or her deck during a pre-release or a
    > booster draft, with the cards that they have received, during/between
    > rounds?
    >
    > ( I don't mean during a match(except for sideboarding))

    Just a note to say my experience exactly matches that of Peter Cooper Jr
    (except that over here, there *is* deck registration at pre-release
    tournaments, or there was the last time it affected me). While the by-
    the-book answer is no, in general that's only enforced if there's deck
    registration, and even the DCI penalty guidelines sort of wink at this.
    So you might be able to depending how tournaments in your area are run.

Games Video Games