Need advice on best ways to backup data and keep computers..

I've been asked by someone what the best way to backup data on several
machines is.

And also how to keep the computers safe from viruses and computer
crashes.

What would be the most recommended methods?

At the moment the PC's aren't networked, but all have internet
connection.

What's the best way to backup data?
DVD's?
Tape drives?

And to keep the PC's safe?
Router?
Obviously, they will have anti virus software.

And for email, what is recommended?
What does Microsoft Exchange do?
Would it be recommended here?

ANY advice or pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

OM
1 answer Last reply
More about need advice ways backup data computers

    Look below each line for my recommendations.

    I would strongly recommend that you contact your local Microsoft Office and
    ask for the names of solutions partners in your locality so that they can
    fully explain the benefits of establishing a Network, with Servers and Shared
    services etc.

    "OM" wrote:

    > I've been asked by someone what the best way to backup data on several
    > machines is.

    For a total hard drive recovery methodology [beyond backup process] one
    could use an external plug in USB drive and Norton Ghost 2005.

    The use of Ghost will create an image of the PC Hard Drive drive [using
    compression ratio of about 4:1, or 4Gb reduces to 1 Gb] onto the external
    Hard Drive. This could be used to recreate that hard drive if it nneded
    replacement or reformatting for whatever reason.

    > And also how to keep the computers safe from viruses and computer
    > crashes.

    Use a well known and 'recommended' anti-virus application. Keep it updated
    regularly. Also get an anti-spyware application such as Spybot Search and
    Destroy, again keep it updated regularly. Make sure you have a Hardware or
    Software Firewall.

    > What would be the most recommended methods?

    Be alert: do not open any unsolicited email - delete it; after all if it's
    important the sender will soon call you and ask as to why there wasn't a
    response.

    Do not install any application or software that isn't required to perform a
    specifc task or function, again be alert and don't blindly accept any prompts
    to install rubbish on the PC.

    Common sense is a good thing to use.

    > At the moment the PC's aren't networked, but all have internet
    > connection.
    >
    > What's the best way to backup data?
    > DVD's?
    > Tape drives?

    Neither: use an external USB disk drive as per method described.

    > And to keep the PC's safe?

    Look above

    > Router?

    This is an network device that allows more than one PC to be connected to a
    network.

    > Obviously, they will have anti virus software.
    >
    > And for email, what is recommended?

    What about email?
    If, Read email and send email - use Outlook Express.
    If, Read email and send email + manage contact information and diary etc -
    use Outlook.

    > What does Microsoft Exchange do?

    Exchange Server is a messaging and collaboration server, it is software that
    runs on servers that enables you to send and receive email and other forms of
    interactive communication through computer networks. Designed to interoperate
    with a software client application [user based] such as Microsoft Outlook,
    Exchange Server also interoperates with Outlook Express and other e-mail
    client applications.

    > Would it be recommended here?

    Yes: If the company has a registered mail domain [eg mail.mycompany.com] and
    the facility to obtain a fixed IP address.

    > ANY advice or pointers would be really appreciated.

    It is necessary to establish a network: then files, printers and other
    apoplications can be shared or accessed if hosted on a server.

    Read about Windows Small Business Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx

    SBS includes Exchange Server - for more on Exchange Server:
    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/default.mspx

    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

Computers Backup Windows XP