Request for Information

I have an Inspiron 8600, onto which I loaded Linux and Windows X Home.
For some reason, I cannot find the information about the computer.

Is there a PDF version of this information so that I can find out about
the lights on top and right side of the computer and how to get to the
guts of the computer in case something needs replacing?

Thanks for your help.

dj tuchler

Did you receive a User Guide with your computer?

Ted Zieglar

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:11:41 -0500, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Did you receive a User Guide with your computer?

Yes, but not one that said anything about the features on the 8600.

dj tuchler

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:09:17 -0500, Pen wrote:

> docs for all dells are found here;
> http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12
>

> "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
>> Go to support.dell.com.
>> Dave

Thank you! It's just what I was looking for. Two files full of
information, both listed as html files but neither of which with a
conventional extension (one is sm.exe and one is tellhow.chm) have alot of
information in them. Is there any way I can open them under Linux?

Thanks again

dennis tuchler

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:05:05 -0800, David wrote:

> They ones I looked at on the link given are available as html and pdf
> files.
> Both will work in linux.
> Dave

one of the html files was really tellhow.chm. The other was an .exe file
which unpacked (using Linux's version of Unzip) into a large number of
html and jpg files. What sort of file is tellhow.chm?

Thanks again for your help

dj tuchler

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
<trimmed...>
> What sort of file is tellhow.chm?

I believe that a .chm file is a compiled HTML help file.

Although a Microsoft format, I also believe (but could easily be wrong)
that any regular browswer (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox) should be
able to open and display the file.

As I said, I could easily be wrong about this; I've never had to deal
with .CHM files on anything other than a Windows box.

Bob Pownall

Eugene

Bob Pownall wrote:

> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> <trimmed...>
> > What sort of file is tellhow.chm?
>
> I believe that a .chm file is a compiled HTML help file.
>
> Although a Microsoft format, I also believe (but could easily be wrong)
> that any regular browswer (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox) should be
> able to open and display the file.
>
> As I said, I could easily be wrong about this; I've never had to deal
> with .CHM files on anything other than a Windows box.
>
> Bob Pownall
There is Xchm and kde supports it fine

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:32:08 +0000, Eugene wrote:

> Bob Pownall wrote:
>
>> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>> <trimmed...>
>> > What sort of file is tellhow.chm?
>>
>> I believe that a .chm file is a compiled HTML help file.
>>
>> Although a Microsoft format, I also believe (but could easily be wrong)
>> that any regular browswer (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox) should be
>> able to open and display the file.
>>
>> As I said, I could easily be wrong about this; I've never had to deal
>> with .CHM files on anything other than a Windows box.
>>
>> Bob Pownall
> There is Xchm and kde supports it fine

Thanks! Is it on the 9.2 dvd or must I go fish?

dj tuchler

Eugene

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:32:08 +0000, Eugene wrote:
>
>> Bob Pownall wrote:
>>
>>> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>> <trimmed...>
>>>
>>> I believe that a .chm file is a compiled HTML help file.
>>>
>>> Although a Microsoft format, I also believe (but could easily be wrong)
>>> that any regular browswer (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox) should be
>>> able to open and display the file.
>>>
>>> As I said, I could easily be wrong about this; I've never had to deal
>>> with .CHM files on anything other than a Windows box.
>>>
>>> Bob Pownall
>> There is Xchm and kde supports it fine
>
> Thanks! Is it on the 9.2 dvd or must I go fish?
>
> dj tuchler
9.2 of what distro? Both are on 9 of slackware that I'm running