Sign in with
Your question

Reusing a Win 7 Dell OEM disk on a rebuilt Dell

Last response: in Windows 7
June 15, 2010 4:01:30 PM

I purchased a Dell Desktop when Win 7 first became available from the Mfgs. The other day the computer quit. Would do nothing. Pulled the hard drive and placed it into another machine as a slave to see if it worked it didn't. checked power supply it was OK but MOBO was also gone. I checked with Dell, machine out of warranty and their price for replacement parts was more than a new computer. My question is: Can I purchase new MOBO for the processor(it checked out OK) and a new HDD and reuse the OEM disk on the rebuilt Dell? I paid for the software once when I got the orginal computer. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 5:32:43 PM

I'm not a lawyer nor have I fully read the agreement but Installed for use on one computer. If I were in the jury I could not find you guilty of anything, especially against the giant MS. Hopefully one of the Microsoft people on here will step up.
m
l
June 15, 2010 6:06:33 PM

Try the website below. It sells surplus dell hardware including motherboards. If you have a dell motherboard you can use your W7 installation disc.

http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php

Legally the installation disc you have is for the dell hardware you purchase. But again as stated Dell W7 installation disc work on any dell HW.
m
l
Related resources
a c 395 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 7:35:58 PM

Dell oem discs are tied to the motherboards,it will not activate on a new motherboard!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 8:07:25 PM

I have to agree with area51reopened on this one. OEM versions of Windows 7 are less expensive than full retail or upgrade versions because they come pre-installed on a new computer. It is a package deal. This means the OEM Windows 7 you have is tied to your computer and cannot be transferred.

Hope this makes sense!

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2010 9:33:39 PM

You will have to purchase the full retail version, that's the bad news, the good news is that the retail version can be upgraded as much as you like, motherboard, cpu whatever .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2010 8:20:56 AM

leon2006 said:
Try the website below. It sells surplus dell hardware including motherboards. If you have a dell motherboard you can use your W7 installation disc.

http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php

Legally the installation disc you have is for the dell hardware you purchase. But again as stated Dell W7 installation disc work on any dell HW.

Not exactly. It activate automatically on any Dell motherboard with a SLP 2.1 Bios.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2010 8:27:38 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Dell oem discs are tied to the motherboards,it will not activate on a new motherboard!

Yes and no. It will activate fine on any Dell motherboard with a SLP 2.1 bios. As for other replacement boards, Microsoft has been known to make exceptions for replacements due to motherboard failure, which this is:

Quote:
Obviously components do fail, and [in those situations] we would make exceptions and allow people to transfer the license to another motherboard. But we would ask that you transfer the license to a like-for-like motherboard, or as close as you can to it.

Microsoft's Laurence Painell

But they have been known to be schizophrenic on the issue, so its not a certainty.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2010 8:35:08 AM

jmillerwv said:
I purchased a Dell Desktop when Win 7 first became available from the Mfgs. The other day the computer quit. Would do nothing. Pulled the hard drive and placed it into another machine as a slave to see if it worked it didn't. checked power supply it was OK but MOBO was also gone. I checked with Dell, machine out of warranty and their price for replacement parts was more than a new computer. My question is: Can I purchase new MOBO for the processor(it checked out OK) and a new HDD and reuse the OEM disk on the rebuilt Dell? I paid for the software once when I got the orginal computer. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Is this the OS that came with the computer or was it part of the OEM upgrade program?

Windows 7 has only been out 8 months. How is the system out of warranty already?

Exactly what model of system are we looking at?

m
l
!