Sign in with
Your question

Bad time to buy a graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 23, 2003 5:36:41 AM

I am thinking of buying a new graphics card to upgrade my GeForce 2 mx, but will it be better just to wait for PCI express and maybe new graphics cards once they get a graphics port figured out for that? My next video card will have to last me a couple years.
July 23, 2003 5:42:23 AM

ya wait until Q1 next year~~~

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
July 23, 2003 5:44:35 AM

you will allways be waiting.
at some point you will ahve to make a decision.

For example:
At the moment you can still find R9700's and R9700pro's for VERY good prices.
And only a little less performance than the top end R9800's.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek: 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2003 6:23:02 AM

It's always a bad time to upgrade, computer technology keeps improving (except for soundcards).

If you plan on buying a shiny new board next year, new processor (because the new boards won't support current processors), and new memory (because the new boards will use DDRII), you can feel good about waiting on your video card. Otherwise, now's as good a time as any to upgrade.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 23, 2003 6:57:29 AM

I agree, take the plunge now...as soon as you buy the latest NVidia/ATI card another one is in the wings so you will never cutting edge for more than a few months p!sses me off something chronic!

Give a lazy man an easy job and he'll find an easier way of doing it.
July 23, 2003 12:31:13 PM

Hoi, Crashman, I was gonna say that...
It IS always a bad time to upgrade... U buy something & the next week U see it cheaper elsewhere or a new version comes out (me bro wants me to upgrade from a R9700pro already cause he wants a better gfx card for nothing in his system)

the next lot of gfx cards ahould be able to plug into either AGP or PCi express using an adaptor or dual pin-outs (thinking about those old combo PCI/AGP cards back in 1998)

get yourself a new budget card now, like a ti4200 64mb or a R9100 64mb & then see next year what is happening...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
July 23, 2003 3:53:58 PM

Waiting will drive you nuts!!!! On the newest Tech. Better to get something now that what you have. Now with all the new games coming out. Maybe it's time to upgrade your system.
July 23, 2003 4:01:16 PM

Would you upgrade from a Ti 4200 G-force 4 (4x 64ram)?
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2003 4:31:16 PM

Mmmm, Chronic....

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 23, 2003 5:47:19 PM

probably not, I don't know, but I have a geforce 2 mx now, so I need to upgrade.
July 23, 2003 5:48:48 PM

my systems fine, I will up it a bit with parts I have, but the video card is all I need.
July 23, 2003 6:10:17 PM

The only good time to buy a video card is when you're current video card can't perform acceptably to YOU, with the games that YOU play.

Then, it's the best time in the world to buy a video card. That's when you buy the best one you can afford that will provide the results in the games that you play.

If you're buying anytime before that, you are throwing your money away.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439
July 23, 2003 8:04:23 PM

Well said Cleeve. That's my situation exactly. And that's also why I can't wait to upgrade from a Trident Blade 8mb to an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>
!