Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How To Fix Windows Registry Without Cd

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 9:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello all, here's my problem.

I have a toshiba P20 laptop running windows XP media center.

While trying to fix a dvd issue using the lowefilter upperfilter fix I
found here, I seem to have messed up my registry. I had made a backup
before doing the changes.

But now the laptop will give me a blue screen when it boots in normal
mode and when I boot in safe mode or using last good configuration, my
keyboard and mouse don't work.

So, I can't fix my registry using this way. Unfortunatly, the laptop
didn't come with a XP CD, it came with a toshiba restore utility disk
which tells me it will erase all my data if I run it. So I can't fix this
way.

So, I am wondering if it would be possible to download some kind of
bootable CD which would let me repair the registry? I found many bootable
floppies, but the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.

So, I'm wondering if my only options are to either download or borrow a
full XP cd image and then burn it to use as a boot disk?

Is there any other way you guys might think I could do the repair?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

More about : fix windows registry

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 9:00:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Marc Desjardins" <mdesjard16@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns9614AEF4A759mdesjard16sympaticoc@207.35.177.134...
> Hello all, here's my problem.
>
> I have a toshiba P20 laptop running windows XP media center.
>
> While trying to fix a dvd issue using the lowefilter upperfilter fix I
> found here, I seem to have messed up my registry. I had made a backup
> before doing the changes.
>
> But now the laptop will give me a blue screen when it boots in normal
> mode and when I boot in safe mode or using last good configuration, my
> keyboard and mouse don't work.
>
> So, I can't fix my registry using this way. Unfortunatly, the laptop
> didn't come with a XP CD, it came with a toshiba restore utility disk
> which tells me it will erase all my data if I run it. So I can't fix this
> way.
>
> So, I am wondering if it would be possible to download some kind of
> bootable CD which would let me repair the registry? I found many bootable
> floppies, but the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> So, I'm wondering if my only options are to either download or borrow a
> full XP cd image and then burn it to use as a boot disk?
>
> Is there any other way you guys might think I could do the repair?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...


Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known Good
Configuration"

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

--
William
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 11:14:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:o wFcMHHJFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
> Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known
> Good Configuration"
>
> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>

Thanks for the quick answer, unfortunatly, as I said in my message, when I
boot in safe mode or using the last known good configuration, my keyboard and
mouse don't work, I have no idea why, maybe because of my modifications to
the registry...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 11:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Marc Desjardins" <mdesjard16@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns961421CC391C0mdesjard16sympaticoc@207.35.177.135...
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:o wFcMHHJFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>> Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known
>> Good Configuration"
>>
>> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>>
>
> Thanks for the quick answer, unfortunatly, as I said in my message, when I
> boot in safe mode or using the last known good configuration, my keyboard
> and
> mouse don't work, I have no idea why, maybe because of my modifications to
> the registry...


Is your Keyboard and Mouse a USB type? If so, you may have to enable Legacy
USB support or something similar in the BIOS to use your USB Keyboard and
Mouse.

--
William
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 6:27:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can search bootdisk and most likely you'll also find free iso files to
make an XP bootCD and and then do your thing to maybe restore your registry.


"Marc Desjardins" <mdesjard16@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns9614AEF4A759mdesjard16sympaticoc@207.35.177.134...
> Hello all, here's my problem.
>
> I have a toshiba P20 laptop running windows XP media center.
>
> While trying to fix a dvd issue using the lowefilter upperfilter fix I
> found here, I seem to have messed up my registry. I had made a backup
> before doing the changes.
>
> But now the laptop will give me a blue screen when it boots in normal
> mode and when I boot in safe mode or using last good configuration, my
> keyboard and mouse don't work.
>
> So, I can't fix my registry using this way. Unfortunatly, the laptop
> didn't come with a XP CD, it came with a toshiba restore utility disk
> which tells me it will erase all my data if I run it. So I can't fix this
> way.
>
> So, I am wondering if it would be possible to download some kind of
> bootable CD which would let me repair the registry? I found many bootable
> floppies, but the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> So, I'm wondering if my only options are to either download or borrow a
> full XP cd image and then burn it to use as a boot disk?
>
> Is there any other way you guys might think I could do the repair?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 12:44:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:eMGdqZIJFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

>
>
> Is your Keyboard and Mouse a USB type? If so, you may have to enable
> Legacy USB support or something similar in the BIOS to use your USB
> Keyboard and Mouse.

It's a laptop, so it's not USB, I have no idea what they keyboard and mouse
don't work, probably because of my messing up the registry...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 12:45:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar> wrote in
news:rBEXd.91332$uc.27670@trnddc04:

> You can search bootdisk and most likely you'll also find free iso
> files to make an XP bootCD and and then do your thing to maybe restore
> your registry.
>

I managed to make a bootdisk, but I can't access my drives so I can't
really fix anything. It seems I need access to a windows XP CD to copy
files on my boot disk, but I don't have the CD, just a recovery CD. I am
using XP Media Center...
!