How To Fix Windows Registry Without Cd

Hello all, here's my problem.

I have a toshiba P20 laptop running windows XP media center.

While trying to fix a dvd issue using the lowefilter upperfilter fix I
found here, I seem to have messed up my registry. I had made a backup
before doing the changes.

But now the laptop will give me a blue screen when it boots in normal
mode and when I boot in safe mode or using last good configuration, my
keyboard and mouse don't work.

So, I can't fix my registry using this way. Unfortunatly, the laptop
didn't come with a XP CD, it came with a toshiba restore utility disk
which tells me it will erase all my data if I run it. So I can't fix this
way.

So, I am wondering if it would be possible to download some kind of
bootable CD which would let me repair the registry? I found many bootable
floppies, but the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.

So, I'm wondering if my only options are to either download or borrow a
full XP cd image and then burn it to use as a boot disk?

Is there any other way you guys might think I could do the repair?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...
6 answers Last reply
More about windows registry

    "Marc Desjardins" <mdesjard16@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello all, here's my problem.
    >
    > I have a toshiba P20 laptop running windows XP media center.
    >
    > While trying to fix a dvd issue using the lowefilter upperfilter fix I
    > found here, I seem to have messed up my registry. I had made a backup
    > before doing the changes.
    >
    > But now the laptop will give me a blue screen when it boots in normal
    > mode and when I boot in safe mode or using last good configuration, my
    > keyboard and mouse don't work.
    >
    > So, I can't fix my registry using this way. Unfortunatly, the laptop
    > didn't come with a XP CD, it came with a toshiba restore utility disk
    > which tells me it will erase all my data if I run it. So I can't fix this
    > way.
    >
    > So, I am wondering if it would be possible to download some kind of
    > bootable CD which would let me repair the registry? I found many bootable
    > floppies, but the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
    >
    > So, I'm wondering if my only options are to either download or borrow a
    > full XP cd image and then burn it to use as a boot disk?
    >
    > Is there any other way you guys might think I could do the repair?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

    Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known Good
    Configuration"

    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    --
    William

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known
    > Good Configuration"
    >
    > A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    Thanks for the quick answer, unfortunatly, as I said in my message, when I
    boot in safe mode or using the last known good configuration, my keyboard and
    mouse don't work, I have no idea why, maybe because of my modifications to
    the registry...

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> Try Booting into Safe Mode using the F8 key, then select "Last Known
    >> Good Configuration"
    >>
    >> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
    >>

    > Thanks for the quick answer, unfortunatly, as I said in my message, when I
    > boot in safe mode or using the last known good configuration, my keyboard
    > and
    > mouse don't work, I have no idea why, maybe because of my modifications to
    > the registry...

    Is your Keyboard and Mouse a USB type? If so, you may have to enable Legacy
    USB support or something similar in the BIOS to use your USB Keyboard and
    Mouse.

    --
    William

    You can search bootdisk and most likely you'll also find free iso files to
    make an XP bootCD and and then do your thing to maybe restore your registry.

    > Is your Keyboard and Mouse a USB type? If so, you may have to enable
    > Legacy USB support or something similar in the BIOS to use your USB
    > Keyboard and Mouse.

    It's a laptop, so it's not USB, I have no idea what they keyboard and mouse
    don't work, probably because of my messing up the registry...

    "bumtracks" <visitor@corner.bar> wrote in

    > You can search bootdisk and most likely you'll also find free iso
    > files to make an XP bootCD and and then do your thing to maybe restore
    > your registry.

    I managed to make a bootdisk, but I can't access my drives so I can't
    really fix anything. It seems I need access to a windows XP CD to copy
    files on my boot disk, but I don't have the CD, just a recovery CD. I am
    using XP Media Center...

Laptops Registry Windows XP