Betrayers flip card human-spirit

The new Betrayers flip cards change the creature type from Human to spirit
when conditions are met. Say I have a hired muscle (desc. below) in play and
play two arcane spells, so it flips. If I also have a Thief of Hope in play,
will the flip also trigger the Thief's ability?

thanks,

Thief of Hope
{2}{B}
Creature -- Spirit
2/2
Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, target opponent loses 1 life and
you gain 1 life.
Soulshift 2 (When this is put into a graveyard from play, you may return
target Spirit card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard to
your hand.)

Hired Muscle
{1}{B}{B}
Creature -- Human Warrior
2/2
Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, you may put a ki counter on
~this~.
At end of turn, if there are two or more ki counters on ~this~, you may flip
it.
----
Scarmaker
Legendary Creature -- Spirit
4/4
Remove a ki counter from Scarmaker: Target creature gains fear until end of
turn.

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

No.

From glossary of Comprehensive Rules:

Play
The act of playing a spell, land, or ability involves announcing the
action and taking the necessary steps to complete it.
Playing a spell or activated ability requires paying any costs and
choosing any required modes and/or targets. See rule 409, “Playing
Spells and Activated Abilities.”
Playing a land simply requires choosing a land card from the hand
and putting it into play. See rule 212.6, “Lands.”
Playing a mana ability requires paying any costs, then immediately
resolving the ability. See rule 411, “Playing Mana Abilities.”
Triggered abilities and static abilities aren’t played—they happen
automatically. See rule 410, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”

Carl

Kevin <ktneely@no.spam.astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
>The new Betrayers flip cards change the creature type from Human to spirit
>when conditions are met.

Right. Essentially (from the books) the human dies, and his/her spirit sticks
around to help.

>Say I have a hired muscle (desc. below) in play and
>play two arcane spells, so it flips. If I also have a Thief of Hope in play,
>will the flip also trigger the Thief's ability?
>
>Thief of Hope >{2}{B} >Creature -- Spirit
>2/2 Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, target opponent loses 1 life
> and you gain 1 life. / Soulshift 2 (*)

No. Flipping a card is not a spell of any sort, and is not playing (announcing)
anything; it happens during -resolution- of an -ability-. "Whenever you play
a Spirit or Arcane Spell" does NOT mean "Whenever you do anything with a card
that happens to say 'Spirit' or 'Arcane' on it somewhere"; it's far more
specific. It triggers when you _play_ (announce, cast) a _spell_ that is
either a Creature - Spirit spell, or an Instant-or-Sorcery - Arcane spell.
The triggered ability goes on the stack on top of the spell that was just
announced, and resolves before the spell does.

The optional-flip cards from Betrayers are not Spirit cards in your hand,
deck, etc.; they are not Spirit spells while being -cast as a spell-, so can't
trigger Thief of Hope then. (Only exception is if a Conspiracy, set to
'Spirit', is in play.) And having their triggered ability go off at end of
turn is not a spell, so that can't trigger Thief of Hope either.

Dave

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Kevin wrote:

> The new Betrayers flip cards change the creature type from Human to spirit
> when conditions are met. Say I have a hired muscle (desc. below) in play and
> play two arcane spells, so it flips.

Note that it doesn't flip until the end-of-turn step and even then you
may choose not to flip it.

--
David