Sounds like a virus but..........

Hi there
I am running XP home edition 2002, I have also added service pack 2. The
computer motherboard is an AMP ATHLON â„¢ XP 1700+ 1.47 GHz with 512MB of RAM.
I am connected to the Internet by BT Broadband and use AVG Free virus
protection, by choice of it’s efficiency rather than the fact it is free. I
always maintain at least one firewall on and I also regularly run LAVASOFT’s
AD-AWARE.

The system has been running efficiently for some months now but I have just
had a fear-provoking experience. Although there should have been nothing in
my Recycle Bin I could see the indicator that there was, a piece of paper
stuck out of the top. I opened the bin and it appeared empty, being a belt
and braces man I pressed the control to “empty bin�, at that I received the
message of “are you sure you want to delete windows�. Declining I exited very
quickly, rebooted, scanned for virus, ran Lavasoft, tried it again, and then
wrote this plea for help to you.

Thank you in anticipation of a quick and positive response from you

Tony

Try this: Start>Run and type "cmd" withtout the quotes. In the new screen, write also without the quotes_
"rd \RECYCLER /s" <hit Enter>
"exit" <hit Enter>