Revenant Question

First the rulings on three cards involved

Revenant, 4B
Creature - Spirit
Flying, */*
Revenant’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of
creature cards in your graveyard.

Kokusho, the Evening Star
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit
Flying, 5/5
When Kokusho, the Evening Star is put into a graveyard from play, each
opponent loses 5 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.

Patriarch's Bidding
Sorcery
3BB

Each player chooses a creature type. Each player returns all creature
cards of a type chosen this way from his or her graveyard to play.

*** *** ***

Consider a Spirit deck with the a handful of Spirits, including 1
Revenant and 2 Kokusho, in the graveyard. If I play Patriarch's
Bidding and choose Spirit, the Revenant is a 0/0 creature because
there aren't any creatures in my grave, and the Kokusho kill each
other because of Legend rule. As far as I can recall these are both
state-based effects.

My question: am I allowed to put the Kokusho into grave first, which
would then spare my Revenant (now a 2/2 creature)?

Terry

Terry Detrie wrote:

> First the rulings on three cards involved
>
> Revenant, 4B
> Creature - Spirit
> Flying, */*
> Revenant’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of
> creature cards in your graveyard.
>
> Kokusho, the Evening Star
> Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit
> Flying, 5/5
> When Kokusho, the Evening Star is put into a graveyard from play, each
> opponent loses 5 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
>
> Patriarch's Bidding
> Sorcery
> 3BB
>
> Each player chooses a creature type. Each player returns all creature
> cards of a type chosen this way from his or her graveyard to play.
>
> *** *** ***
>
> Consider a Spirit deck with the a handful of Spirits, including 1
> Revenant and 2 Kokusho, in the graveyard. If I play Patriarch's
> Bidding and choose Spirit, the Revenant is a 0/0 creature because
> there aren't any creatures in my grave, and the Kokusho kill each
> other because of Legend rule. As far as I can recall these are both
> state-based effects.

Yes, that's right.

> My question: am I allowed to put the Kokusho into grave first, which
> would then spare my Revenant (now a 2/2 creature)?

From the Comprehensive Rulebook:

420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, "Timing of Spells
and Abilities"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for
state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single event, then
the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have been generated,
triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the appropriate player gets
priority. This check is also made during the cleanup step (see rule 314); if
any of the listed conditions apply, the active player receives priority.

The rule is that when you check SBEs and have more than one, they all
resolve at once; you don't get to do one "first". So your Revenant,
unfortunately, doesn't get to live. But look on the bright side; you've
just made your opponent lose 10 life and you gained 10 life.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:

> My question: am I allowed to put the Kokusho into grave first, which
> would then spare my Revenant (now a 2/2 creature)?

No.

Both of those state-based effects resolve as a single event.

420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, "Timing of
Spells and Abilities"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions
for state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single
event, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have
been generated, triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the
appropriate player gets priority. This check is also made during the
cleanup step (see rule 314); if any of the listed conditions apply, the
active player receives priority.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:
>First the rulings on three cards involved
>
>Revenant, 4B >Creature - Spirit
>Flying, */*
>~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of
>creature cards in your graveyard.
>
>Kokusho, the Evening Star >Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit
>Flying, 5/5
>When ~ is put into a graveyard from play, each
>opponent loses 5 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
>
>Patriarch's Bidding >Sorcery >3BB
>Each player chooses a creature type. Each player returns all creature
>cards of a type chosen this way from his or her graveyard to play.

....Okay. If Kokusho goes to the graveyard, he starts contributing to your
Revenant's power/toughness in play (for card Kokushos, anyway; a token
Kokusho does go to the graveyard for a small interval, but is never a
creature _card_ there). Bidding for Spirit gets the Revenant and the Kokusho
back at the same time, so that the Kokusho is not in the graveyard _after_
the Revenant comes into play... Let's see what the actual question is.

>Consider a Spirit deck with the a handful of Spirits, including 1
>Revenant and 2 Kokusho, in the graveyard. If I play Patriarch's
>Bidding and choose Spirit, the Revenant is a 0/0 creature because
>there aren't any creatures in my grave, and the Kokusho kill each
>other because of Legend rule. As far as I can recall these are both
>state-based effects.

Ah, yes. Yes, they both are. (That is, if Spirit creature cards were the
-only- creature cards in your graveyard.) The Revenant will go to the
graveyard at the exact same time that both Kokushos do - again, it won't
stay in play for a moment, see them there, and become a 2/2 in time to live.

>My question: am I allowed to put the Kokusho into grave first, which
>would then spare my Revenant (now a 2/2 creature)?

No; none of this "happens first". All the state-based effects are checked for,
and processed, at the same time. (After which, if any applied, there will
be -another- check for them, repeating until there's a check where none
actually apply.) All three will go back to the graveyard at the same time.

(How to prevent this? Have some creature card in your graveyard that's _not_
a Spirit...)

Dave

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:33:00 -0500, Chris Mattern
<matternc@comcast.net> wrote:

>Terry Detrie wrote:
>
>> First the rulings on three cards involved
>>
>> Revenant, 4B
>> Creature - Spirit
>> Flying, */*
>> Revenant’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of
>> creature cards in your graveyard.
>>
>> Kokusho, the Evening Star
>> Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit
>> Flying, 5/5
>> When Kokusho, the Evening Star is put into a graveyard from play, each
>> opponent loses 5 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
>>
>> Patriarch's Bidding
>> Sorcery
>> 3BB
>>
>> Each player chooses a creature type. Each player returns all creature
>> cards of a type chosen this way from his or her graveyard to play.
>>
>> *** *** ***
>>
>> Consider a Spirit deck with the a handful of Spirits, including 1
>> Revenant and 2 Kokusho, in the graveyard. If I play Patriarch's
>> Bidding and choose Spirit, the Revenant is a 0/0 creature because
>> there aren't any creatures in my grave, and the Kokusho kill each
>> other because of Legend rule. As far as I can recall these are both
>> state-based effects.
>
>Yes, that's right.
>>
>> My question: am I allowed to put the Kokusho into grave first, which
>> would then spare my Revenant (now a 2/2 creature)?
>>

>From the Comprehensive Rulebook:
>
>420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, "Timing of Spells
>and Abilities"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for
>state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single event, then
>the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have been generated,
>triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the appropriate player gets
>priority. This check is also made during the cleanup step (see rule 314); if
>any of the listed conditions apply, the active player receives priority.
>
>The rule is that when you check SBEs and have more than one, they all
>resolve at once; you don't get to do one "first". So your Revenant,
>unfortunately, doesn't get to live. But look on the bright side; you've
>just made your opponent lose 10 life and you gained 10 life.

I figured that...I was being greedy :)
Thanks for the clarification.