Ninjitsu and Unstable Shapeshifter

Hi There

Perhaos you can help me . I've the Unstable Shapeshifter .
So I attak a player with the Unstable Shapeshifter and some other
creatures. One Creature will deal damage to the opponent and i play a ninja
for its ninjitsu cost. f.e. Mistblade Shinobi so the unstable shapeshifter
has the abilities of the mistblade shinobi, so could i return a target
creature (for the shapeshifter) to the hand ?

Or this this trigger only after the combat?

BE IT-Solutions
http://www.BE-IT-Solutions.de
AFP-Hosting, Softwareentwicklung und mehr.

Crypto.NET
Secure your Webdata
http://www.Afp-Community.de/Crypto/Index.afp

Boas Enkler wrote:

> Hi There
>
> Perhaos you can help me . I've the Unstable Shapeshifter .
> So I attak a player with the Unstable Shapeshifter and some other
> creatures. One Creature will deal damage to the opponent and i play a
> ninja
> for its ninjitsu cost. f.e. Mistblade Shinobi so the unstable
> shapeshifter has the abilities of the mistblade shinobi, so could i return
> a target creature (for the shapeshifter) to the hand ?
>
> Or this this trigger only after the combat?

Unstable Shapeshifter
Creature - Shapeshifter
0/1
Whenever a creature comes into play, Unstable Shapeshifter becomes a copy of
that creature and gains this ability. (This effect doesn't copy counters on
the creature.)

Mistblade Shinobi
Creature - Human Ninja
1/1
Ninjutsu {U}({U}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put
this card into play from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Mistblade Shinobi deals combat damage to a player, you may return
target creature that player controls to its owner's hand.

Yes, when you Ninjutsu the Mistblade into play, the Shapeshifter becomes
a copy of it, and gains all its abilities (plus the Unstable Shapeshifter
ability). This is a triggered effect and goes on the stack, but will
resolve before combat damage is assigned or dealt. Assuming it is still a
copy of the Mistblade when it deals combat damage (which it most likely will
be, since you can't play creatures during combat), and it deals that damage
to the opponent, then, yes, you get the triggered effect and may return one
of his creatures to the owner's hand (if the Shinobi also deals combat
damage to the player they both trigger and you may return two).

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:39:57 +0100, Boas Enkler <info@it-design.biz> wrote:
>Perhaos you can help me . I've the Unstable Shapeshifter .
>So I attak a player with the Unstable Shapeshifter and some other
>creatures. One Creature will deal damage to the opponent and i play a ninja
>for its ninjitsu cost. f.e. Mistblade Shinobi so the unstable shapeshifter
>has the abilities of the mistblade shinobi, so could i return a target
>creature (for the shapeshifter) to the hand ?

Yes.

>Or this this trigger only after the combat?

Mistblade Shinobi 2U Creature - Human Ninja
1/1 Ninjutsu U (*) Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may return
target creature that player controls to its owners hand.

This triggers off the creature (Unstable Shinobi) dealing combat damage to the
opponent.

If you used the original Shinobi's Ninjutsu in time for it to assign combat
damage to opponent - before combat-damage step started - then the Unstable
Shapeshifter will also be a Ninja before combat damage step starts, and will
assign 1 combat damage of its own. If you didn't, the Unstable Shapeshifter
will assign whatever its power was in combat damage.

If you got the Ninja out there before combat damage -resolves-, the Unstable
Shapeshifter will be a Ninja by the time its combat damage resolves, and will
have the Shinobi triggered ability at that time, so will have that ability
trigger. [Note that if you get the -original- Ninja out after combat damage
is already on the stack but before it resolves, the _original_ Ninja won't get
to put any on the stack, because it will have got there too late, and the
attacking creature you picked up to help pay for its Ninjutsu will have already
had its combat damage on the stack... so in that particular case the Unstable
Ninja will have its ability trigger but the original won't. But usually you
will be Ninja-ing out the original before combat damage goes on the stack at
all, so both will assign and deal combat damage and both will have their
abilities trigger.]

Dave