damage prevention question

Hi-

If I have a creature that "prevents the next 2 damage" to a creature or
player, and my opponent attacks with a 3/3 and a 1/1 ninja that can return
one of my creatures (assume no blockers and the damage gets through), can I
choose what damage to prevent or does my creature simply prevent 2 "generic"
damage, allowing my opponent's ninja's ability to trigger? I know that
sounds confusing, but this happened the other night in our play group and I
forget the name of the new ninja that has that ability.

Thanks in advance
malv

malv <NOSPAMmalv07@verizon.net> wrote:
>If I have a creature that "prevents the next 2 damage" to a creature or
>player, and my opponent attacks with a 3/3 and a 1/1 ninja that can return
>one of my creatures (assume no blockers and the damage gets through), can I
>choose what damage to prevent or does my creature simply prevent 2 "generic"
>damage, allowing my opponent's ninja's ability to trigger? I know that
>sounds confusing, but this happened the other night in our play group and I
>forget the name of the new ninja that has that ability.

All the Ninjas, actually, have a triggered ability that triggers off the
Ninja dealing combat damage, though each has a different effect associated
with it. So this is a good generic question.

If you have damage-prevention that's preventing the next N points of damage,
and doesn't care about sources (as opposed to preventing the next damage a
particular source or sources would deal), and there's a choice of which points
of damage to you or one or more creatures you control to prevent, you choose
which points of damage to prevent. So yes, you can specify either "2 of the
3 damage from the 3/3" or "1 of the 3 damage from the 3/3, and the 1 damage
from the Ninja" in this situation.

Dave

malv wrote:

> Hi-
>
> If I have a creature that "prevents the next 2 damage" to a creature or
> player, and my opponent attacks with a 3/3 and a 1/1 ninja that can return
> one of my creatures (assume no blockers and the damage gets through), can
> I choose what damage to prevent or does my creature simply prevent 2
> "generic" damage, allowing my opponent's ninja's ability to trigger? I
> know that sounds confusing, but this happened the other night in our play
> group and I forget the name of the new ninja that has that ability.
>
> Thanks in advance
> malv

The 3/3 and the 1/1 are doing damage simultaneously. In this situation,
the player being damaged (or whose creatures are being damaged) gets
to choose which damage to prevent. It is your choice as to whether
or not to prevent the ninja's damage. If you choose to prevent the
ninja's damage, the boomerang effect does not happen.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."