"Deals that much damage to you"

I have a question about creatures which deal damage to their controller when
they take damage.

The question is can they take more damage than their toughness. If I
lightning blast a Shnka Gatekeeper (or a jackal pup) will the controller take
4 damage, or will he take only the amount of damage equal to the creature's
toughness (i.e. 2)?

Name: Shinka Gatekeeper
Card Type: Creature — Ogre Warrior
P/T: 3/2
Rules Text (Oracle): Whenever Shinka Gatekeeper is dealt damage, it deals
that much damage to you.

thanks,

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Kevin <ktneely@no.spam.astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
>I have a question about creatures which deal damage to their controller when
>they take damage.

Okay. All of them? Or specific ones?

>The question is can they take more damage than their toughness.

Yes. Nothing anywhere in the rules limits how much damage a creature (or
player) can take. A few -cards- limit how much can get -counted- - Drain Life,
for example - but if the card itself doesn't give such a limit, there isn't
one.

>If I
>lightning blast a Shnka Gatekeeper (or a jackal pup) will the controller take
>4 damage, or will he take only the amount of damage equal to the creature's
>toughness (i.e. 2)?

If 4 damage gets dealt to a creature with the ability "Whenever damage is
dealt to ~, it deals that much damage to you" then 4 damage gets dealt to you
when the triggered ability resolves, regardless of the toughness of the
creature (or how much damage was already on it). To have some sort of limit
according to what its toughness was, it would have to say so specifically on
the card.

(Note that -prevented- damage isn't dealt at all, so isn't counted in "that
much".)

Dave

Kevin wrote:

> I have a question about creatures which deal damage to their controller
> when they take damage.
>
> The question is can they take more damage than their toughness.

And the answer is yes. You can inflict any amount of damage on a creature;
its toughness just determines at what point it'll die from it.

> If I
> lightning blast a Shnka Gatekeeper (or a jackal pup) will the controller
> take 4 damage, or will he take only the amount of damage equal to the
> creature's toughness (i.e. 2)?

He takes four (and Gatekeeper/Pup dies, of course).

> Name: Shinka Gatekeeper
> Card Type: Creature — Ogre Warrior
> P/T: 3/2
> Rules Text (Oracle): Whenever Shinka Gatekeeper is dealt damage, it deals
> that much damage to you.
>
> thanks,

Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

The controller will take the same amount of damage the the creature was
dealt to.

Toughness is only the minimum of damage the creature as to receive
before it become lethal, not the maximum it can receive.

Carl

On 2005-02-07, David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Kevin <ktneely@no.spam.astroturfgarden.com> wrote:

> If 4 damage gets dealt to a creature with the ability "Whenever damage is
> dealt to ~, it deals that much damage to you" then 4 damage gets dealt to you
> when the triggered ability resolves, regardless of the toughness of the
> creature (or how much damage was already on it). To have some sort of limit

Thank you. This is what I thought, but I overheard someone next to me playing
in a FNM draft that he only took two from the Gatekeeper b/c its toughness was
2. I was busy using ninjutsu, so I didn't have time to look over and see what
was going on.

I really appreciate the thorough answers people in this group are able to
provide!

In vino veritas
http://openwine.net