Good value priced Dual Monitor Card

bkrasner

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Got a question, guys. I'm looking to start using two monitors/two desktops on my PC at work, but have zero experience in dual monitor stuff.

What's a good value priced card that I can use to upgrade my office system (Dell dimension 4400, with 4x AGP slot) so that I can use either two CRTs or two LCD Panels? I'm looking to spend around $80 - $100.

From the looks of things, the NVIDIA cards look to be the best bet, here. But what should I be looking for, here?

Help?

Thanks guys...

Ben

cleeve

Illustrious
Actually, Ati cards are your best bet for dual monitor applications. They have better display quality because of better RAMDACs.

If you won't be using this system for gaming, a Radeon 7000, 7200, or 7500 with dual outputs will be fine.

Just make sure it comes with a DVI-To-VGA dongle for the second display.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

Ditto to what cleeve said. I'd mention Matrox (cause I have to damn it!) cause they do mutli-head monitor setups best (even allow for two different desktops), but I think the ATIs will do you just fine.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Ape's got it right, I usually neglect to mention Matrox usually because I think their cards are overpriced and I have friends who use them and get irritated with their drivers when they try to run games.

But if you're not running games, they're great cards.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

G

I own a Asus Fx5600 non ultra(video suite), maybe thats over your price range but the card offers Twin view with 2 400mhz ramdacs. The nice thing is thats its DUal DVI, you need to use the adapters to have analog. I think the card offers descent game performance and and good price/perormance-quality ratio.
Tought some more input could help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get a Radeon VE with dual CRT outputs at Compgeeks for $40. Very good 2d, and you don't need to be gaming at work, so it's probably your best deal.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JAGedlion

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
you can always just have two vid cards you know. One AGP and one PCI. I just took an old pci card from my P90, after all, how much gaming do you do on the second monitor?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Imagine you're in a P51 mustang duking it out with the Axis powers. You you look to your right and see your wingman. You look to your left and see a zero. You have 2 choices, go up or down. You look up and see one of the bombers you're protecting, so you decide to dive.

Now, that's 4 monitors for 1 game. Unless you're super 1337 with a top hat.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And watch the performance of each card drop as another one is added to the same anemic PCI bus...

JAGedlion

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
oh deffinetly. MAny games are improved with only 3 monitors, but few are better on two. I mean, maybe you'd put you radar there or something, but its nothing really big when you only have two. Neverwinter nights can even play nicely on three monitors.

JAGedlion

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
you see more, actually, you can see so far, often ranged weapons cant shoot far enough. and you can put your inventory , quest, etc window there. IIRC you cant move the windows in NWN and it just puts them there for you because that what most people would want