administrator help needed

Sometimes the machine works fine, more often it crashes like in the good/bad
old days w/WIN98SE. New: My sound system quit working - no idea why. I tried
to enter Device Manager, to correct the sound thingy, only to see this: "The
snap-in below, referenced in this document has been restricted by policy.
Contact your administrator for details. Device Manager" and:"Snap-in Creation
Failed. The user policies prevent MMC from creating the snap-in. Name:Device
Manager
CLSID:{74246BFC-4C96-11DO-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}" I AM the administrator and the
only user! I also NEVER changed any settings. XP drives me crazy. Please help
me. Thank you very much in advance!
Wolfgang
1 answer Last reply
More about administrator needed

    go to start - run, regedit and open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/... and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system Is there a DisableTaskMan entry there?, and if yes, set
    it to zero

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "WMohrCHS" <WMohrCHS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29614F9A-DD55-4FBE-910E-124CAC2C1CB4@microsoft.com...
    > Sometimes the machine works fine, more often it crashes like in the good/bad
    > old days w/WIN98SE. New: My sound system quit working - no idea why. I tried
    > to enter Device Manager, to correct the sound thingy, only to see this: "The
    > snap-in below, referenced in this document has been restricted by policy.
    > Contact your administrator for details. Device Manager" and:"Snap-in Creation
    > Failed. The user policies prevent MMC from creating the snap-in. Name:Device
    > Manager
    > CLSID:{74246BFC-4C96-11DO-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}" I AM the administrator and the
    > only user! I also NEVER changed any settings. XP drives me crazy. Please help
    > me. Thank you very much in advance!
    > Wolfgang

Device Manager Windows XP