administrator help needed

March 9, 2005 6:11:06 AM

Sometimes the machine works fine, more often it crashes like in the good/bad
old days w/WIN98SE. New: My sound system quit working - no idea why. I tried
to enter Device Manager, to correct the sound thingy, only to see this: "The
snap-in below, referenced in this document has been restricted by policy.
Contact your administrator for details. Device Manager" and:"Snap-in Creation
Failed. The user policies prevent MMC from creating the snap-in. Name:D evice
Manager
CLSID:{74246BFC-4C96-11DO-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}" I AM the administrator and the
only user! I also NEVER changed any settings. XP drives me crazy. Please help
me. Thank you very much in advance!
Wolfgang

More about : administrator needed

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:41:33 AM

go to start - run, regedit and open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/... and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system Is there a DisableTaskMan entry there?, and if yes, set
it to zero

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509