cbarger

Distinguished
May 18, 2001
I have a P4 2600 HT 512 2700 ram and a Ti4200 64m 4x Agp. Would you think of upgradeing any thing video card or ram etc.?

You do a lot of gaming than get a better vid card. Not big on gaming stick with what you have. I have TI 4200 I may upgrade to 9600 PRO at the end of the year. Because it supports DirectX 9.0

I would say to you both. DON'T upgrade the Video Card until the games actually hit the shelves and we can see if EVEN the R9600Pro (which I have) plays them well. There isn't a HUGE diff. in performance between the R9600 and GF4tis for now. So wait, and by the time H.B. buys (end of the year) you will likely find killer cards out there that force down the price of things like the R9600s and FX5600Us. Heck even the R9700/9800 may be within your budget by then.

Wait until the GAMES kill your cards before upgrading the only reason to upgrade right now is if you are playing a game at your desired resolution/settings and it's having trouble, otherwise it will only look better in your benchmarks, and that's not worth wasting your money.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cbarger

Distinguished
May 18, 2001
$ was not my problem. I am playing Planetside and I have times where the frame rate drops to about 10 for a sec or 2. Then it goes up to the 60's and 90's pending on the amount of action around me...

You may want to also consider an R9700non-pro as well, it's close to the price of an R9600Pro and an FX5600U but gives much more power than both cards. IMO. They are availible out there for about ~$200US ($214 was the last price I saw quoted here).

Just FYI. And yes if it isn't playing Planetside like you want, then that's a PERFECT reason to upgrade. Sorry I doubted you, just wanted to make sure you spent your money (how do they say it in the Indy movies) 'Ww-iIi-zely!'

That's just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: