Naming cards

If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?
I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

Thanx!

G.
3 answers Last reply
More about naming cards
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    "Griffis" <griffis/-nemaspema-\ @net.hr> writes:
    > If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
    > Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?
    > I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
    > including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
    > exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

    I think that it can be any Magic card. I'm 99% sure you could say
    Skullclamp (which would work fine in Standard or Extended). I'm 95%
    sure that you could name an Unglued/Unhinged card (after all, the Un-
    creature types are legal choices). I'm 50% sure you could name 1996
    World Champion, but that's an odd case.

    --
    Peter C.
    It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

    Griffis <griffis/-nemaspema-\@net.hr> wrote:
    >If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
    >Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?

    Any Magic card.

    >I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
    >including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
    >exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

    He is not limited to naming "a card that would be legal for the player to have
    in his deck in this tournament type", no; he may name ANY Magic card, including
    Unhinged/Unglued cards. He may not name a Portal/Starter card that has NOT been
    reprinted in any Magic set, since those aren't "Magic cards", as far as I'm
    aware; he _can_ name 1996 World Champion or Shichifukijin Dragon, as far as
    I'm aware again. However, as you note, there's usually cards you can name that
    aren't allowed to be in his deck, so you don't have to go to those extremes.

    In any tournament type other than Type I or A/B/UL Block Constructed, "Time
    Walk" or "Ancestral Recall" are quite nameable for guaranteed disastrous
    effect, for example...

    (Note that these are legal for the controlling player to name BECAUSE they are
    also legal for the ORIGINAL player to name - they're just not usually WISE for
    him to name.)

    Dave
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > In any tournament type other than Type I or A/B/UL Block Constructed, "Time
    > Walk" or "Ancestral Recall" are quite nameable for guaranteed disastrous
    > effect, for example...

    Even in those formats, I would expect something like Darkpact to be
    fairly effective.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net