  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 3:03:23 PM

If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?
I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

Thanx!

G.

More about : naming cards

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:03:24 PM

"Griffis" <griffis/-nemaspema-\ @net.hr> writes:
> If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
> Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?
> I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
> including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
> exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

I think that it can be any Magic card. I'm 99% sure you could say
Skullclamp (which would work fine in Standard or Extended). I'm 95%
sure that you could name an Unglued/Unhinged card (after all, the Un-
creature types are legal choices). I'm 50% sure you could name 1996
World Champion, but that's an odd case.

--
Peter C.
It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Griffis <griffis/-nemaspema-\@net.hr> wrote:
>If a player controls his opponent's turn with Mindslaver and plays Demonic
>Consultation, what card is he allowed to name?

Any Magic card.

>I know he must name a "card that exists in magic", but can he name any card,
>including Unhinged/Unglued or banned cards, or must he name a card that
>exists in the "legal" Magic card pool?

He is not limited to naming "a card that would be legal for the player to have
in his deck in this tournament type", no; he may name ANY Magic card, including
Unhinged/Unglued cards. He may not name a Portal/Starter card that has NOT been
reprinted in any Magic set, since those aren't "Magic cards", as far as I'm
aware; he _can_ name 1996 World Champion or Shichifukijin Dragon, as far as
I'm aware again. However, as you note, there's usually cards you can name that
aren't allowed to be in his deck, so you don't have to go to those extremes.

In any tournament type other than Type I or A/B/UL Block Constructed, "Time
Walk" or "Ancestral Recall" are quite nameable for guaranteed disastrous
effect, for example...

(Note that these are legal for the controlling player to name BECAUSE they are
also legal for the ORIGINAL player to name - they're just not usually WISE for
him to name.)

Dave
February 14, 2005 9:05:26 PM

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> In any tournament type other than Type I or A/B/UL Block Constructed, "Time
> Walk" or "Ancestral Recall" are quite nameable for guaranteed disastrous
> effect, for example...

Even in those formats, I would expect something like Darkpact to be
fairly effective.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net