Possibilities why I think DX9 games will run bad

eden

Champion
Here's the thing, it's been a year now, or very close to, since DX9 was out. Far more than when DX8 was released with the geForce 3 and a good amount of games came in the end of the year.
Assuming DX9 really is hard to code and companies are looking to really go far, my guess is, DX9 games will make even current cards suffer.
While some will disagree, all signs point to it. First GF3s gave out around 30FPS in the Nature test, and any full DX8 game like Aquanox (much respect to the graphics optimizations), made them run at 30-50FPS tops.
Assume DX9 is more rough. The Gunmetal bench seems to literally eat the FX5900 Ultra.
While the game doesn't really use that much DX9, the bench does. One has to wonder, how good is that.

While some will have me refer to Doom III, it is important to realize Doom III is not a full DX9 game. Never was. Sure it has some features, but there will be many games out afterwards that truly use DX9 for what it is. It might be a reason why D3 runs fairly well on current high-end cards.

However, I guess what I am trying to say is, after a year of no DX9 yet, I think the compliance of current cards is just a novelty, much like DX9 on FX5200s. Methinks anything below 9700PRO using DX9 is likely to have a real hard time. And even then, the R9700PRO will be like a Ti200 in Aquanox, barely playing it at max.

The recent annoucement of Doom III being delayed is good news. It also lets us know to WAIT even more before we get hardware we want that has good DX9 performance.
I think I'll buy my new card at Xmas, and it'll likely be the new generation instead.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Doom 3 isn't DirectX based; it's openGL based.

It's minimum hardware requirements are based on the Geforce3, which had DirectX 8 CLASS hardware.

Based on this, I think that anything with directX 8 precision pixel and vertex shaders will be able to run it in full detail, unless I'm mistaken (which I very well might be).

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

G

I pretty much agree with you Eden. I think DX9 was a pretty big leap in programming complexity. It also enable some really detailed graphx. I dont think any DX8 class card will be able to run Doom III full details in 1024+ resolution.
Just look at this <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-12.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-12.html</A>. But as you said the real DX9 are gonna hit the shelves somewhere around 2004. By then we will have Nv40 and R420. These card are suppose to outperform current 9x00 and FX family by 50-100%(not sure yet..). I think the new NV4x and R4x0 families will be the card needed to run DX9 with lots of detail in 1024+....This is speculation so I guess will see if its true around X-mas...

I think we'll have to wait and see. I agree with your premise ('cept the OGL issue :wink: ) that they will likely run poorley right out of the box on 'lesser cards (I think unfortunately you may be right there and even my R9600P OC'd to the max may have some trouble with some of the features being on). Didn't Q3 kill cards at first when everything was on? I just hope the length of time to release of DX9 games doesn't mean a delay in DX10 standards being adopted as well. I hate delays! I'd rather know now that something sux than have people buy in anticipation fo something (their fault really) and then get skunked. I feel good, it's got what I want, but I think some peope are bound to be surprsed (especially that Fliphone nOOb with his FX5200!)

In anycase, it will also be interesting to see if you can use OGL wrappers on some of these games to make them run smoother. I've been hearing alot abou the OGL version of UT2K3 (mainly the card issues in forums) but people seem to love that version more than the DX8 version, and say it runs smoother (alot of kudos for speed boosts in CAT 3.6). So I will really like to see what happens. Unfortunately we will have to wait. I'd like to see what Dave has to say though.
In the end, until then, I'll play my DX9 demos and grin like the freakin' drooling idiot that I am. 'Luk at al 'dem purty Kulurs!' :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Eden, I have the Gunmetal Benchmark (and a 9800 Pro as you should know:)) and let me say if the game had all the features of the benchmark and ran at the same settings, itd be playable at 1024x768 no AA no aniso.

The benchmark itself has 3 settings for AA, 2x, 4x, and 6x. Off is not a setting! And in the ATI control panel you cannot force AA off (really stupid design!). Im sure i could force it off with rage 3d tweak but i havnt done that yet.

So I ran the gunmetal benchmark at 2xaa, no aniso (1024x768). My scores for each one were a tad under 30 FPS (if i recall correctly), (no OC), but it looked smooth most of the time. In turning off 2xAA I would say it would be perfectly playable at that res.

BTW it looks so frickin good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

eden

Champion
I would like your input when you can.

I shall gracefully wait!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A>

eden

Champion
Thou art right, indeed I made a silly mistake once again imagining Doom III to be Direct3D.
I suppose that might change some things. But, consider that the majority of games are D3D, that still poses a problem. I've always found OGL to be smoother than D3D games, it just felt like it.

I'd like Dave's input when possible though.

--