HP LJ4 Problem. 50 Service, error message

Can anyone kindly help with a '50 - Service' Error Message?

The m/c has given me a couple of years of perfect service but suddenly,
today, this message keeps coming up. Nothing appears to be wrong externally,
it starts its self test and warm-up, but then this message appears.

If I check my list of messages it says 'Call the HP service engineer' but
that is not what I really have in mind!

Is there anything that I can check myself?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Eric

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:36:29 UTC, "Cire"
<e@UNSPAMnotnam8.news.vispa.com> wrote:

> The m/c has given me a couple of years of perfect service but suddenly,
> today, this message keeps coming up. Nothing appears to be wrong externally,
> it starts its self test and warm-up, but then this message appears.
>
> If I check my list of messages it says 'Call the HP service engineer' but
> that is not what I really have in mind!

It's a fuser fault.

It could be the thermistor, or the lamp (most commonly).

New fusers aren't cheap but are trivial to fit (5 minutes max). Look on
eBay as they occasionally appear. Lamps are cheaper ($20 or so) but take
a bit of time to fit into the fuser. It may well be that if the lamp is
knackered so are the rollers, although I fitted a new lamp to a
28000-pages printer and it's now over 70,000 pages (a younf=gster in
LJ4+ terms).

Email me if you'd like more detail.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On 18 Sep 2004 19:06:49 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers, "Bob Eager"
<rde42@spamcop.net> wrote:

>It's a fuser fault.
>
>It could be the thermistor, or the lamp (most commonly).

I had one stripped down yesterday for a major cleanout. I got a "50 -
service error" when I accidently forgot to plug the leads back into the
laser assy.

Dave

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.

Bob and Dave

Many thanks for your replies. Am looking into it.

Eric