Port Mapping

When I look at my base station log I see a bunch of
entries regarding port mapping.

2005/03/18 18:25:04 DeletePortMapping:
ExternalPort:49795, TCP
2005/03/18 18:25:05 DeletePortMapping:
ExternalPort:34274, UDP
2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:37351,
UDP, InternalPort:9522, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX
2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:9962,
TCP, InternalPort:10373, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX

The deleting and adding goes on throughout the entire
file accompanied by a bunch of these:

2005/03/18 18:25:48 Connection attempt to base station
from WAN blocked -- src:<72.X.XXX.XX:6346>
dst:<67.XXX.XXX.XX:6346>
(I replaced the IP and WAN IP with X's)

Then I check my persistant port forwarding settings and
find the mapped ports along with the desciption:

msmsgs (192.XXX.X.XX:11793) 45804 UDP

I am not changing these setting and am unsure why this is
happening. The mapped ports reappear/change even when
disabled or deleted. I do not know much about networking
and am wondering whether this is some sort of security
problem/unauthorized access or if it is just normal.

Any answers that someone could provide would be most
appriciated.
Thanks, Akechi

Guessing you have a Microsoft Broadband Networking base station, here's a
full explanation of what you may see on the log:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_log_file.mspx
If you don't have a Microsoft product, please disregard as it may not apply
to your setup.

Keep in mind, some of the programs you're using may be automatically setting
up port mapping, but without knowing what you're running it would be
difficult to tell. The "blocked attempts" are good things, where your
firewall is preventing outside access to your Local Area Network.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"Akechi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I look at my base station log I see a bunch of
> entries regarding port mapping.
>
> 2005/03/18 18:25:04 DeletePortMapping:
> ExternalPort:49795, TCP
> 2005/03/18 18:25:05 DeletePortMapping:
> ExternalPort:34274, UDP
> 2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:37351,
> UDP, InternalPort:9522, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX
> 2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:9962,
> TCP, InternalPort:10373, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX
>
> The deleting and adding goes on throughout the entire
> file accompanied by a bunch of these:
>
> 2005/03/18 18:25:48 Connection attempt to base station
> from WAN blocked -- src:<72.X.XXX.XX:6346>
> dst:<67.XXX.XXX.XX:6346>
> (I replaced the IP and WAN IP with X's)
>
> Then I check my persistant port forwarding settings and
> find the mapped ports along with the desciption:
>
> msmsgs (192.XXX.X.XX:11793) 45804 UDP
>
> I am not changing these setting and am unsure why this is
> happening. The mapped ports reappear/change even when
> disabled or deleted. I do not know much about networking
> and am wondering whether this is some sort of security
> problem/unauthorized access or if it is just normal.
>
> Any answers that someone could provide would be most
> appriciated.
> Thanks, Akechi

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I am using an MN-500, with a MN-510 USP wireless adapter
(sorry, forgot to include that in initial the post)

The article you referred me to said that a Universal Plug
and Play device was adding and deleting the port
forwarding rules. Would the adapter be that device (it's
the only plug and play device I am using)

Thanks again, Akechi

/nichol.mspx
>In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
>Chris H.
>Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>Associate Expert

Update your windows messenger to the latest version and the msmsgs port
forwards will clean themselves up a lot better

Windows Messenger 5.1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774&DisplayLang=en

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Akechi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I look at my base station log I see a bunch of
> entries regarding port mapping.
>
> 2005/03/18 18:25:04 DeletePortMapping:
> ExternalPort:49795, TCP
> 2005/03/18 18:25:05 DeletePortMapping:
> ExternalPort:34274, UDP
> 2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:37351,
> UDP, InternalPort:9522, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX
> 2005/03/18 18:25:08 AddPortMapping: ExternalPort:9962,
> TCP, InternalPort:10373, InternalClient:192.XXX.X.XX
>
> The deleting and adding goes on throughout the entire
> file accompanied by a bunch of these:
>
> 2005/03/18 18:25:48 Connection attempt to base station
> from WAN blocked -- src:<72.X.XXX.XX:6346>
> dst:<67.XXX.XXX.XX:6346>
> (I replaced the IP and WAN IP with X's)
>
> Then I check my persistant port forwarding settings and
> find the mapped ports along with the desciption:
>
> msmsgs (192.XXX.X.XX:11793) 45804 UDP
>
> I am not changing these setting and am unsure why this is
> happening. The mapped ports reappear/change even when
> disabled or deleted. I do not know much about networking
> and am wondering whether this is some sort of security
> problem/unauthorized access or if it is just normal.
>
> Any answers that someone could provide would be most
> appriciated.
> Thanks, Akechi

Like Jason said (check his message too) it is Messenger, and you should
update it to the newest Windows Messenger version, and it will clean up
after itself.

> Thanks for the reply Chris,
>
> I am using an MN-500, with a MN-510 USP wireless adapter
> (sorry, forgot to include that in initial the post)
>
> The article you referred me to said that a Universal Plug
> and Play device was adding and deleting the port
> forwarding rules. Would the adapter be that device (it's
> the only plug and play device I am using)
>
> Thanks again, Akechi

The program is Windows Messenger (based on the entries from your log/port
forward).

see my previous message.