Strange video crashes, please help!

My video has started crashing on me sometimes after playing any 3d games for awhile. I'll be playing and then all of the sudden my monitor screen will suddenly turn into a grayish mess of colors. My computer doesn't freeze or reboot, it's just the video that crashes. It's also done it while running 3dmark 3001se.
I got a geforce 4 4200 with detonator 44.03 on an nforce 2 mb with 512mb pc2100 and Winxp pro. Any ideas?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jdr13 on 07/25/03 05:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
6 answers Last reply
More about strange video crashes help
  1. I had similar problems when I used to have a cheap power supply. What's your power supply rated at in Watts? What CPU are you running?

------------------
    Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
    AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    3dMark03: 3439
  2. I doubt it's the psu. I just put in a brand new Antec 350 SmartBlue.
  3. Yeah, that should be good enough.

Well, try disabling fastwrites in your BIOS...

other tha that, it sounds like it might very well be a heat problem. Try taking the side cover off your case and blowing on it with a fan. If it works, you know your problem is heat, so install a couple case fans.

------------------
    Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
    AMD AthlonXP 2000+
    3dMark03: 3439
  4. I have 5 fans in my case now. Average sytem temp is only
    44 C. I swapped out my Geforce with a Radeon 9700 this morning to see if that card was the source of the problem this whole time. I'll post back later to let you know.
  5. Well, not a single problem now. I guess it was that card after all.
  6. urg.... what card did u have before nVidia?? driver could have caused this........

Proud Owner the Block Heater
    120% nVidia Fanboy
    PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
    I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Font Video Graphics